Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

Tons of posts related to Windows 10 and SMB as the root cause of the inability to connect to unRaid that were fruitless so I'm recording this easy fix for my future self.

If you cannot access your unRaid shares via DNS name ( \\tower ) and/or via ip address ( \\192.168.x.y ) then try this. These steps do NOT require you to enable SMB 1.0; which is insecure.

Directions:

1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.
  2. Type in gpedit.msc and press OK.
  3. Select Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and double click Enable insecure guest logons and set it to Enabled.

4. Now attempt to access \\tower

Related Errors:

• Windows cannot access \\tower
  • Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.102
  • You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.

image.png.6a29831e3b5ba99a813f6643aefd0541.png

image.png.c69ad0d3d56258a109287e6bf1f25ec8.png

image.png.41bdf31b0dc76f0ee59534fae310c106.png

image.png.5aa7061d6062d73df37b8b0c51e640b8.png

image.png.b3ffaca1597255ad8df386c9d8d95c8a.png

Edited by StrandedPirate
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 19
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, clambert said:

Enabling this value doesn't seem to work for me.

Exactly what have you tried?  Have you watch this tutorial:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-741282

Have you gone through this thread (start with page 6 and work backwards)?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

I am also assuming that you are trying to access shares when you get this message.  Are your shares Public, Secure or Private? 

Fixing windows 10 SMB issues has been a nightmare.  MS has continuing tighten security over the past few years.  (I personally just had one crop up in the past month where they changed "Password Protected sharing" from 'off' to 'on' on the upgrade from 1809 to 1903 which meant I could not get to the shares on another WIN10 computer!  But I still had access to my Unraid server...)

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Exactly what have you tried?  Have you watch this tutorial:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-741282

Have you gone through this thread (start with page 6 and work backwards)?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

I am also assuming that you are trying to access shares when you get this message.  Are your shares Public, Secure or Private? 

Fixing windows 10 SMB issues has been a nightmare.  MS has continuing tighten security over the past few years.  (I personally just had one crop up in the past month where they changed "Password Protected sharing" from 'off' to 'on' on the upgrade from 1809 to 1903 which meant I could not get to the shares on another WIN10 computer!  But I still had access to my Unraid server...)

So yeah, I did get it working by watching that video. I guess I was a little confused because I thought the thread mentioned being able to do it without enabling SMB 1.  In the video SI One has us enable it. That's what I have done for now. It's fine I guess. Thanks for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the old thread revival, but I wanted to say thanks for this workaround. 

I built a new Windows 10 gaming PC and was pulling my hair out as all my other devices (around 20-25 different systems) could all access my UnRaid servers fine, but this new gaming PC could not. Tried your workaround, as well as (reluctantly) enabling SMB1.0 in the Windows Features section, and it worked.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 2:07 PM, StrandedPirate said:

Tons of posts related to Windows 10 and SMB as the root cause of the inability to connect to unRaid that were fruitless so I'm recording this easy fix for my future self.

If you cannot access your unRaid shares via DNS name ( \\tower ) and/or via ip address ( \\192.168.x.y ) then try this. These steps do NOT require you to enable SMB 1.0; which is insecure.

Directions:

1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.
  2. Type in gpedit.msc and press OK.
  3. Select Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and double click Enable insecure guest logons and set it to Enabled.

4. Now attempt to access \\tower

Related Errors:

• Windows cannot access \\tower
  • Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.102
  • You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.

image.png.6a29831e3b5ba99a813f6643aefd0541.png

image.png.c69ad0d3d56258a109287e6bf1f25ec8.png

image.png.41bdf31b0dc76f0ee59534fae310c106.png

image.png.5aa7061d6062d73df37b8b0c51e640b8.png

image.png.b3ffaca1597255ad8df386c9d8d95c8a.png

Thank you!  Your suggested change to the gpedit policy fixed the inability of one of my Win10 PCs to access unraid shares after an OS reinstall (Win 10 Home 1909).

Well all I know is FreeNas and OpenMediaVault simply do not exhibit the same SMB issues that unraid does, it would be super cool if the developers spent some time actually fixing this issue, rather than constantly blaming windows. It might be windows for all I know, but other solutions work flawlessly, but I paid for unraid, so am somewhat stuck with none of my windows machines reliably and consistently connecting to my unraid server.

The back slash thing works but it does not stick for me for such things as mapping network drives or for other apps to access unraid, that should be able to do so as guest.

I'll give this solution a shot, but I honestly don't think I should have to be tinkering like this.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm a new UnRAID user running a mixed macOS/Windows environment, and I was running into this exact issue on my Windows 10 machines. This is sort of my first question about UnRAID, (and almost definitely not the last,) but from what I can tell, it looks like I'm trading one security vulnerability for another with this solution.

These steps do NOT require you to enable SMB 1.0; which is insecure.

This is good, as it's exactly what I wanted to avoid from Spaceinvader One's awesome videos as a result of security concerns. Naturally, I was thrilled when I first saw this thread, until I saw this wording in step three:

Enable insecure guest logons

If I'm enabling insecure guest logons, doesn't that mean I'm potentially opening my network up to additional security vulnerabilities? If so, what are the advantages of using this method over enabling SMB1? Are their any advantages of enabling SMB1 over using this method to make my UnRAID server visible to Windows 10? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

43 minutes ago, NotMrSavvy said:

If I'm enabling insecure guest logons

As I recall, the problem is that unless you allow this, you can not see any SMB shares on an Unraid server unless you first log onto that server as a valid user.  (By extension, you can not see any Public shares on any Windows computer either. )

Now this is a great policy if you are using the 'free' WiFi at the nearest coffee shop but in a home environment, it can be more of a problem of than a security feature.  Do you trust the people who you are permitting on your home network?  In a business environment, trust is a much more complicated issue.  There is more often a need-to-know basis issue and you do want to make sure that people can only see what they are suppose to see. 

Now, I have my Unraid shares on my home network set to 'Secure'  which means that 'Guests' have only read privileges.  And I don't have a user assigned to any share so basically no one can write, modify or delete and file using SMB!  (I actually did this to prevent ramsonware from doing its thing if my network were to be compromised-- more likely someone does something really stupid.) 

Only you can define the what and why of your security problem.  You have to start by asking who and why would someone be attempting to get at your data.  And, if they succeed, what will they be doing with it.   If you are trying to hide something from some three-letter government agency somewhere in the world, you are far beyond the skill set of any of us.

Thank you for your help Frank1940. :) For this particular array, I'm indeed in a business environment, and while the array is reasonably secure, my main concern is with keeping it that way, especially if one of our systems that connects to the array were to ever unknowingly be compromised in some way.

I am not qualified to advise you at the point.  You could map each share (as a drive) that the user for each computer has the need to access.  I don't think, the WIN10 computer needs to be able to see the share to do this.   Of course, MS does have tools to help the system admin do this sort of thing (as I understand it). 

• 1 month later...

My primary gaming system shit the bed and I was unable to even hit the server post rebuild. Thank you for the instructions. My brain is on overload these last few weeks and I couldn't for the life of me fix my own system, yet I keep my firm's network running like clockwork. Ironic.

Stay safe everyone, and stay the fuck home.

Using Win 10 Pro 1909 and all is working fine.

What i did, was different.

On unraid under "Settings", "SMB", "SMB-Extras", "Samba extra configuration:" i implemented the following:

min protocol = SMB2

Can access my unraid-shares from every Win10 Comp on the network.

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am new to Unraid and coming from Freenas.  I had my unraid SMB share working fine from my Linux PCs and my Windows 10.  Now all of a sudden it stopped working from Windows 10.  It may have been the latest 10 update.   I am now running 19041.207 from my Win 10 desktop and laptop.  I can't reach the Unraid SMB share.  I tried clearing the credentials Windows had save for my unraid server and I have the Lanman workstation setting to allow insecure.  Any ideas what else I can look for since it was working before?

Thanks

• trurl pinned this topic