Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

10 minutes ago, SZ68 said:

I am new to Unraid and coming from Freenas.  I had my unraid SMB share working fine from my Linux PCs and my Windows 10.  Now all of a sudden it stopped working from Windows 10.  It may have been the latest 10 update.   I am now running 19041.207 from my Win 10 desktop and laptop.  I can't reach the Unraid SMB share.  I tried clearing the credentials Windows had save for my unraid server and I have the Lanman workstation setting to allow insecure.  Any ideas what else I can look for since it was working before?

Thanks

Have you worked your way back through this thread trying the newest things first?

Run    winver    from the search window on the Taskbar.  Tell us the results Version, Build number and which 'favor' you have-- Home, Pro, etc.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, clambert said:

So I am getting the Error Code 0x80004005 on Windows 10 Build 18362.  Enabling this value doesn't seem to work for me.  Are there any other known tricks?

Fixed it by changing the setting  "unraid-->setting-->SMB-->wokegroup" from WORKGROUP to workgroup

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ran into the same problem today, tried all the solutions in this tread and then some, but none worked.

I could access the shares from other computers running the exact same windows version.

Then i remembered at one point i tried to login to a (sub) share with different credentials, which turns out was the reason for windows not being able to access my Unraid server any more.

The solution turned out to be quite simple

Go to control panel -> User accounts -> windows references and delete all entries to your server (both IP and name) and you're good to go.

(windows references might be called something else as i'm translating it from a Dutch windows version)

Just posting this here in case someone else has the same issues

Edited by Brandje
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, Zonediver said:

Using Win 10 Pro 1909 and all is working fine.

What i did, was different.

On unraid under "Settings", "SMB", "SMB-Extras", "Samba extra configuration:" i implemented the following:

min protocol = SMB2

Can access my unraid-shares from every Win10 Comp on the network.

Thanks, worked for me, I have zero issues now.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, StrandedPirate said:

Directions:

1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.
  2. Type in gpedit.msc and press OK.
  3. Select Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and double click Enable insecure guest logons and set it to Enabled.

4. Now attempt to access \\tower

dang it, you saved me. haha

This helped me out:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/36159-solved-windows-10-and-smb/page/3/

On 5/15/2018 at 7:31 AM, dkerlee said:

worked like a charm. Just to make this solution a little more idiot-proof (ie Me)

start> run> "regedit" <enter> no quotes, Yes make changes to your pc.

Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

right click on the right, New > DWORD 32-bit (or something), call it "AllowInsecureGuestAuth"

double click on it, set it to "1", no quotes

adfs.gif

• 1 month later...

What i do is I add a user to Unraid with the exact username and password that I use in windows and then I have no problem adding the mapped drives after that. Then apply read write for that username to all the shares. Seems to do the job for me without changing the guest access gpo. 

Then if you want a private share, you can set private on the permissions and then set no access on guest access but read write on your user that you added. 

Edited by SimonAG
  • trurl pinned this topic

Hi:   I have unraid:   Version 6.9.2 2021-04-07

Iam running Windows 10, 20h2 build 19042.964 with    Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Also I have some ubuntu 20 machines and I can not access the shares created on unraid, not even after checking all the comments in cvarious searches.

Any new ideas.   THe server Iam using was built by me many years back, but windows 2019  works fine on this machine.

I also had an issue with true nas were truenas did not recognized the drives at all.

Thanks

RF

So, I have a hidden private share on my Unraid server that I am able to access on my Windows 10 machine by manually typing the ip address and path, and then entering the username/password that I setup for that share.

Yesterday Windows update KB5003173 was installed on my Windows 10 machine. The Unraid share now cannot be accessed any more from that computer. Other public shares on the Unraid server are still accessible. But not the private share.

I figured it might be an SMB 1.0 thing. In the Unraid settings I changed the SMB option "Enable Netbios" to No, which should disable SMB 1.0. But the private share is still not accessible.

Then I reverted the KB5003173 update on my Windows 10 computer and after this the private share can again be accessed.

Anyone else run into this? Is there a solution other than not installing the Windows security update?

Edited by lococola
43 minutes ago, lococola said:

So, I have a hidden private share on my Unraid server that I am able to access on my Windows 10 machine by manually typing the ip address and path, and then entering the username/password that I setup for that share.

Yesterday Windows update KB5003173 was installed on my Windows 10 machine. The Unraid share now cannot be accessed any more from that computer. Other public shares on the Unraid server are still accessible. But not the private share.

I figured it might be an SMB 1.0 thing. In the Unraid settings I changed the SMB option "Enable Netbios" to No, which should disable SMB 1.0. But the private share is still not accessible.

Then I reverted the KB5003173 update on my Windows 10 computer and after this the private share can again be accessed.

Anyone else run into this? Is there a solution other than not installing the Windows security update?

This is usually caused by your Windows computer logging onto the server using credentials that are not the one that is authorized for this share.  (the requiring of using IP address is the clue)  See here for details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

Be sure to read this post and the next few for more details.   You would type 'Credentials manager' in the search box on the taskbar to get to the credentials that your computer is using.

Thanks. I've read through that post and I learned some new things about the behavior of Windows regarding authentication and caching. But in my case, I don't want my main Windows user account to have access to the private share. What I want is to always have a login prompt appear when trying to access that particular share. Only with the correct username/password you can get in.

This was working nicely (albeit with a workaround) before by approaching the share using the IP address instead of the hostname. But after the KB5003173 update that stopped working.

27 minutes ago, lococola said:

This was working nicely (albeit with a workaround) before by approaching the share using the IP address instead of the hostname. But after the KB5003173 update that stopped working.

GREAT!  Apparently, MS has done it to us (their users) once again.   There are going to be a lot of unhappy users in the weeks ahead.  (This was always a bit of a back door to get around the single login allowed from a single client.)

What you can try is to setup your share's credentials in the Credential Manager.   The other approach is to force the first access to the Unraid server to be that Private Share.  (I think mapping it will work...)   If this is infeasible because you have other people who use the computer that should not have access to that share, you will probably have to setup another user (basically you) and use those user credentials in both places.  (This is apparently what MS wants you to do-- have a separate user account for every person,)   (By the way, you do realize that once you log into the private share there is no easy way to logout with logging out of the Windows computer.)

Edited by Frank1940
'no easy way' was 'no way'

Not trying to hijack but this seems the perfect place to add some of my woes.

I am running 6.9.2 and I've come across something strange when trying to change where some of my devices upload camera shots too automatically. I have a share called Documents. That has been in situ for a good 3 months, and I have read/write permission to that folder (demonstrably -I can delete files).

I created a sub-folder under that share called "temp" for example, and for some reason, I don't have write/del access. I can read the contents no issues, but I can't delete or directly create a file using Windows (SMB). This folder is used by an app on my smart device however to upload to.

The really weird thing is the top level file structure hasn't changed and I always though that share-level permissions were pervasive in unRAID, so what gives?

I get the lovely "you require permission from \root to make changes to this file"

2 hours ago, ceepeebee said:

I created a sub-folder under that share called "temp" for example, and for some reason, I don't have write/del access. I can read the contents no issues, but I can't delete or directly create a file using Windows (SMB). This folder is used by an app on my smart device however to upload to.

How did you create this folder/directory?   I suspect you did not use SMB.   

25 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

How did you create this folder/directory?   I suspect you did not use SMB.   

That's actually a great shout. I was using Tonido to access my files, and I created a new folder to upload to, through this app. When I list the dirs and permissions it showed that Root had been assigned the owner of this folder, however when creating via SMB, it's the unRAID user. Very interesting.

I fixed by creating through SMB and deleting the other, but I'd like to know whether there's a way of manipulating this? Would you just ensure that root has access to the relevant folder?

• 1 month later...

(NOTE to Moderator: There are two pinned threads that are primarily devoted to solving Windows 10 SMB problems. This post is already in one of them. I am now adding it to this thread. I will not be posting it again in any other thread!)

As I read over this thread, I realize that most of the problems are being caused by those of us (myself included) who are trying to run their Unraid network with the same LAN security protocols that existed in 2010!

In one of these support threads, I was quoted by @Batter Pudding in his/her take about this practice. The post is shown below:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/109278-cant-access-unraid-share-on-win10/?tab=comments#comment-1000312

@Batter Pudding and I started a Private Message discussion about SMB, Windows 10, Unraid, and using up-to-date security practices. I pointed out that many of us did not have the expertise to get things setup properly. Starting from that point, we assembled a detailed set of instructions with explanations as to how things work and walk you through the required steps. We even did a set of “How to” guides for each step...

Next point is that LimeTech is about to release version 6.10.0 ‘soon’™ and they have promised that it will have a 2021 security model! All that SMB security stuff that we have turning off in Windows 10, LimeTech is going to be turning-on in Unraid (and in a lot more other areas of Unraid besides SMB)!

Let’s admit it. We have been playing Windows 10 “Whack-a-Mole” too long in attempting to run the Unraid SMB network with the absolute minimum of protection. It is time to bite the bullet and get our Unraid LAN networks secured to the requirements that are necessary today. Just click on the link to this thread for more details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Edited by Frank1940
  • 3 weeks later...

Would anyone might know why I am having such an issue. I transferred some files from a usb drive to unraid but when I try and access it via windows it'll allow me to go into the share but not the particular folder I just moved over in unraid. In unraid using krusader I can go into the files I just moved just fine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks