Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

23 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

am at a loss here.  Reviving an old thread for some assistance.  I have a Windows 10 (now Windows 11) PC that I am using to access my unraid.  I've had network shares set up for some time and have never had issues...until now.

Did you read this post in this thread and follow the instructions?  I am assuming that you can access your server via the GUI and you have looked to see that the array is started. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/page/4/#comment-1111519

Unless you are in an AD environment, this should solve your problem.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Did you read this post in this thread and follow the instructions?  I am assuming that you can access your server via the GUI and you have looked to see that the array is started. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/page/4/#comment-1111519

Unless you are in an AD environment, this should solve your problem.

yes I can access via GUI and the array is started.  I did go through the steps outlined.  I run into some issues in the #2 File Explorer side.  I only have one computer I access the server with (and on the network outside of the Unraid server) and I can't shortcut the server as windows does seem to be able to find the server via file explorer.  Also, I tried to Enable Network Discovery and this is not saving my settings.  I troubleshooted that and not sure why but my DNSCache setting is greyed out.  Not sure if that'll fix that issue or not but I can't seem to start that service.  Not sure where I should look?

The problem is this issue just started after years of working fine.  Over the past couple days, I ran several updates to my windows PC (Windows Update, Armoury Crate, etc) and not sure if one of these broke the shares.  Also , on the server, I've been updating plugins as well.   Is there anything I am missing here?

Edited by Hawkins12
7 hours ago, Hawkins12 said:

I did go through the steps outlined.

What steps?

run into some issues in the #2 File Explorer side. 

I am totally confused about this statement.   What is this "#2 File Explorer"?

I only have one computer I access the server with (and on the network outside of the Unraid server) and I can't shortcut the server as windows does seem to be able to find the server via file explorer. 

So using File Explorer, you can see the SMB shares on your server?

Is this strictly a Mapped Drive issue?  

Please upload your Diagnostics file in a new post.   And give me a clue as to what share your are trying to mount as a mapped drive-- First and last letter of the share name.

Did you read the PDF attachment in secondary link link?   Here is that link:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup

since this thread is still alive I'm having the same issue as a lot of people are here I can see my server under the network tab but when I try to map the share to a drive I get an error message and yes I've tried the security is not a dirty word solution and either i messed something up (which is very possible I'm very new to this) or it didn't fix my issue any help/suggestions would be immensely appreciated been trying to fix this for hours 

Network Error 12_15_2022 6_28_52 PM.png

12 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What steps?

I am totally confused about this statement.   What is this "#2 File Explorer"?

So using File Explorer, you can see the SMB shares on your server?

Is this strictly a Mapped Drive issue?  

Please upload your Diagnostics file in a new post.   And give me a clue as to what share your are trying to mount as a mapped drive-- First and last letter of the share name.

Did you read the PDF attachment in secondary link link?   Here is that link:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup

Sorry for my confusion.  The steps i was referring to were these:

image.thumb.png.42cca244f3f3be4df814142a87d16b5f.png

Note that after messing around more, I ended up getting it to work.  The issue was a Windows issue (i have another pc and it could access the shares just fine).  Apparently, there is a "DNS Client" service that needs to be running in order to access the shared drives.  My "DNS Client" in the Services was greyed out and disabled.  I had to reg-edit an item, reboot, then was able to enable DNS Client.  Once I did this, the shares worked. 

1 hour ago, mavrik said:

since this thread is still alive I'm having the same issue as a lot of people are here I can see my server under the network tab but when I try to map the share to a drive I get an error message and yes I've tried the security is not a dirty word solution and either i messed something up (which is very possible I'm very new to this) or it didn't fix my issue any help/suggestions would be immensely appreciated been trying to fix this for hours 

Network Error 12_15_2022 6_28_52 PM.png

See my response above.  I was getting a similar message.  Go to Windows --> Run --->  Services.msc

From this find the service called "DNS Client" and ensure it is set to "Automatic" or "Running".  If it's greyed out, it'll be a few more steps but that solved my issue. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, Hawkins12 said:

See my response above.  I was getting a similar message.  Go to Windows --> Run --->  Services.msc

From this find the service called "DNS Client" and ensure it is set to "Automatic" or "Running".  If it's greyed out, it'll be a few more steps but that solved my issue. 

thanks for the suggestion but the dns client option was already running 

Everything was working fine with my system, but as some point something has changed and now I too, on multiple Windows PCs, have the:

image.png.641bd611a5b5bc23534860ffbd5c55b3.png

My settings looks ok here:

image.thumb.png.1c687419a6c9e0d2e799879e51e3cfa2.png

and tower appears under File Explorer:

image.png.77e35764a880cc19d32cadeb6d756501.png

If I access the array via \\192.168.1.25 everything is fine.

Any ideas? I see lot's of different changes being done to various Windows settings but the thing is this all used to work OK, wish I could remember when/what has changed.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

The fact it works via the IP suggests that it is likely to be an issue with the credentials stored in Windows Credential Manager under the servers name.

i have the same issue. if i shut my vpn off i can access my server. i also am using kill switch on my vpn with allow lan traffic turned on. i first noticed this issue after i did a windows update and the lates pia vpn update. it is a pain in the arse but until i do some research and reading i can live with it until i get a few days off.

desiel

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

The fact it works via the IP suggests that it is likely to be an issue with the credentials stored in Windows Credential Manager under the servers name.

I deleted the credential and re-created it but still the same issue.

The weird thing is, sometimes after trying multiple times to access it, it will eventually work and then typically stays working for a period of time then fails again.

Just used to be rock solid, now very hit and miss. And on multiple PCs.

I'm also seeing in the samba.log repeated lines like:

[2022/12/21 15:58:01.698910,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_queryuser.c:402(wb_queryuser_got_gid)
  Returning NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
  xid.type must be ID_TYPE_UID or ID_TYPE_BOTH.
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.698943,  5] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_queryuser.c:466(wb_queryuser_recv)
  WB command queryuser end.
      state->info: struct wbint_userinfo
          domain_name              : *
              domain_name              : ''
          acct_name                : *
              acct_name                : 'root'
          full_name                : NULL
          homedir                  : *
              homedir                  : '/home/%D/%U'
          shell                    : *
              shell                    : '/bin/false'
          uid                      : 0x0000000000000000 (0)
          primary_gid              : 0x00000000ffffffff (4294967295)
          primary_group_name       : NULL
          user_sid                 : S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-1000
          group_sid                : S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-513
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699184,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_getgroups.c:259(winbindd_getgroups_recv)
  Could not convert sid S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-1000: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699225,  3] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd.c:563(process_request_done)
  process_request_done: [nss_winbind(30222):GETGROUPS]: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699733,  5] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_sids2xids.c:84(wb_sids2xids_send)
  WB command sids2xids start.
  Resolving 1 SID(s).
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699811,  5] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_sids2xids.c:775(wb_sids2xids_recv)
  WB command sids2xids end.
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699836,  5] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_sids2xids.c:779(wb_sids2xids_recv)
  0: Found XID 4294967295 for SID S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-513
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699864,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_queryuser.c:402(wb_queryuser_got_gid)
  Returning NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
  xid.type must be ID_TYPE_UID or ID_TYPE_BOTH.
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.699897,  5] ../../source3/winbindd/wb_queryuser.c:466(wb_queryuser_recv)
  WB command queryuser end.
      state->info: struct wbint_userinfo
          domain_name              : *
              domain_name              : ''
          acct_name                : *
              acct_name                : 'root'
          full_name                : NULL
          homedir                  : *
              homedir                  : '/home/%D/%U'
          shell                    : *
              shell                    : '/bin/false'
          uid                      : 0x0000000000000000 (0)
          primary_gid              : 0x00000000ffffffff (4294967295)
          primary_group_name       : NULL
          user_sid                 : S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-1000
          group_sid                : S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-513
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.700123,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_getgroups.c:259(winbindd_getgroups_recv)
  Could not convert sid S-1-5-21-1865665554-1384364343-2247375095-1000: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2022/12/21 15:58:01.700245,  3] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd.c:563(process_request_done)
  process_request_done: [nss_winbind(30223):GETGROUPS]: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Edited by fireplex
8 minutes ago, fireplex said:

So, it seems if I await around 10 to 15 minutes after booting my PCs they can they connect to //TOWER OK.

Bizarre

It has been found that SMB is much more stable if a single computer is the SMB Local Master (The Local Master runs a sort of DNS service for the SMB network.)  The best choice for a Local Master is your Unraid server.   It works best if you leave the server running 24-7.  You make the setting by going to :   Settings   >>>  SMB    and look for this section:

image.png.4cc0482bfb3ad546a3c8d8228b8c200a.png

BTW, the delay you experienced is not unusual, with a large SMB network, it can take up to 40 minutes for changes to propagate through the network.  

Another thing for you to try is download the PDF file in the first post in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

And follow the instructions for "Step 1– Fixing the Windows Explorer Issue"  by setting up a 'Network Neighborhood'.

It has been found that SMB is much more stable if a single computer is the SMB Local Master (The Local Master runs a sort of DNS service for the SMB network.)  The best choice for a Local Master is your Unraid server.   It works best if you leave the server running 24-7.  You make the setting by going to :   Settings   >>>  SMB    and look for this section:

Yes, I have unRAID running 24x7 and its the Local Master (according to Dynix plugin).

image.thumb.png.49bda93b273a51b2cc01eca2959faf3b.png

Another thing for you to try is download the PDF file in the first post in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

And follow the instructions for "Step 1– Fixing the Windows Explorer Issue"  by setting up a 'Network Neighborhood'.

I'll have a look but I'm a little hesitant to start chaning things on all my PCs when they used to work fine.

Edited by fireplex
15 minutes ago, fireplex said:

I'll have a look but I'm a little hesitant to start chaning things on all my PCs when they used to work fine.

What the problem with that approach is that both Windows and Samba have implemented changes that effect the way things "used to work"!  Particularly with regard to SMBv1, which provides functionality that many folks running simple SMB configuration relied on.  (SMBv1 has/had some really nasty security issues that were fixed by  banning (or 'eliminating') it. MS is doing its damness to to enforce that policy..)

Edited by Frank1940

Also make sure "Workstation" (LanmanWorkstation) service is started on Windows client machines. Some Windows iso distributions come with the service disabled by default.

Another thing I do to eliminate DNS issues like this is add

192.168.1.143 tower

to my hosts file (located in "%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\") for each WIndows client

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on the issue I had, in case it helps anyone, I realised that unRAID was being assigned IPv6 addresses by my router (even though I tried to disable it on my router).

Changing the unRAID Network Settings from IPv4 to IPv4 + IPv6 fixed the intermittent connectivity issues I was having and I can access \\tower consistently every time now from all my PCs 😀

I have some weird smb problems after my USB flash kinda failed. I got this error * **Directory Bread Errors found**.

I then noticed that UEFI can no longer be used for booting. I then loaded a backup of the flash from a few days ago and transferred everything to a new USB stick. Whether the backup is error-free I do not know exactly. I have now updated Unraid from 11.0 to 11.5 and SMB still does not work. Before I changed the USB stick SMB was working despite the errors.

What are my options? I would like to exclude the flash backup as error. Can I paste the config folder onto a fresh unraid installation?
I saw this in a video but have never heard of it otherwise.

Edited by Pascal51882
1 hour ago, Pascal51882 said:

Can I paste the config folder onto a fresh unraid installation?

If you have a current backup of the config folder from flash that will work.

If you can copy it from the original flash, whether or not that would work well depends on whether the folder on the original flash was good.

Don't try to use an old backup of config without further advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet (doesn't appear to be).

I've come across this same issue. After copying my shares from an old NAS to unraid, all the files & folders were accessible when i browsed from the unraid server itself, but not from Windows, i could only access the share, but not open all folders within. I tried the permissions fixes but none of them worked.

I noticed that the issue only happened on some folders within the share though. Other folders i could open but then have the same issue with subfolders. Which seemed odd.

What fixed it for me was changing the "case-sensitive names" on the share settings (in unraid) to auto. Mine had been set to "force lower" before I copied the shares to unraid.

So any folders which had capital letters in their names, were no longer accessible from windows. All lowercase named folders were fine.

Changing the "case sensitive names" back to Auto allowed windows to access the unraid shares regardless of upper / lower case.

Edited by TPZ
typos
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 4:06 AM, CrashDDL said:

For those who are looking for another way to make this work without enabling unsecure connections:

- Create a user in unRaid > Users menu (unless you have one already)

- Open "Control Panel" > "Credential Manager" on the computer you are trying to access the unRAID server shares

- Click "Windows Credentials" > "Add a Windows credential"

- Enter the network name of the unRaid server for "Internet or network address (example: \\THETOWER)

- Enter "username" & "password" of the user on the unRAID server.

- Click ok.

Done, you should be able to just open the unRAID server and all public shares on it.

year is now 2023 here ... this solution still works! thank you!

• Upvote 1