Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

looks like it's all my fault. even though i made no changes on my main computer I was able to connect using SMB using another box. I will give up with anger at M$ for making whatever change they did to my main system. The best I can do now is bring up systems 1 and 2 and see if I can look through all listed and tested network configs to see if i can find a difference. 

Until I replace my current desktop in a year or so UnRAID is now in a less useful state for me.

Have you tried creating a new user account on your windows box? Occasionally the user profile itself is the issue. Another thing to check is any security software. Disabling it is not enough, many security suites put extra system files and calls into the network chain, and I've seen that cause issues regardless of whether the security software says it's enabled or not.

To be clear, I am NOT talking about credentials, I'm talking about the entire user profile in windows. If a new profile can connect, then you have another data point for comparison. Another test would be temporarily installing windows on a new drive in your main system, to see if it's hardware related.

I think it was an update to Unassigned Devices plugin. (I could be wrong) I don't remember seeing the options below but I set them and mine work now.
image.png.d291512e87a79308809c8b9de6a243ee.png

Enable SMB Security was set to No before. Also I cleared out my SMB config, started my array back up and stopped again and put this in my SMB config.
image.png.3db5d4c7f49ecda2f017ff8e9e43df40.png

I don't know if these will work for everyone but they worked for me. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

@Wadzwigidy I looked, but I do not have a plugin "unassigned devices", nor do I have "enable SMB security" as an option. Also, based on testing from a new-build server the problem is with the virus called Windows 10. I can connect to the smb shares from the new-build, but not from current desktop. 

Thankfully, a new desktop is in the plans for the very near future.

38 minutes ago, lonebear said:

@Wadzwigidy I looked, but I do not have a plugin "unassigned devices", nor do I have "enable SMB security" as an option. Also, based on testing from a new-build server the problem is with the virus called Windows 10. I can connect to the smb shares from the new-build, but not from current desktop. 

Have you checked under Shares, clicking on a share and going to the SMB Security part that the share is set to be exported to make it visible on the network?    Fir security reasons the default is No.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:56 AM, lonebear said:

Cool beans man. That's kind of why I said that I didn't know if it would work for everyone. I personally haven't used windows 10 in a while I've been on windows 11 since it released. But I recently started having issues connecting to my share much like what others mentioned here in previous post so that's why I figured I would provide my solution. I'm glad you will be good to go soon as well. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my solution to this topic:

I'm using Windows 11 and didn't want to enable insecure connections. I was thinking it it may be a DNS issue after some reading and did an nslookup on my server name. This pointed me to (servername).(domainname).org under non-authoritative answer. I'm using pfsense with dynamic DNS and cloudflare for my dns server to add more insight. Also shares would work for me when accessed by the IP address, but not the name of the server.

What I had to do was go into the DNS Resolver on pfsense and create a Host Override for the local reserved IP of my Unraid server.

Edited by IDQ
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, hoping someone can help with what seems like a minor issue.  I've just reinstalled windows 11.  the server is working fine on my network, can watch movies etc, but in windows whilst I can navigate to the gui via the web browser, I can't map a network drive.

Tower shows in Network on my PC, but when I double click it I get the following error message:

\\TOWER is not accessible. 

The network address is invalid.

Which I don't understand...as it clearly is.  I have network set to Private and the network discovery + file & printer sharing turned to "on".

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 2:07 AM, StrandedPirate said:

Tons of posts related to Windows 10 and SMB as the root cause of the inability to connect to unRaid that were fruitless so I'm recording this easy fix for my future self.

If you cannot access your unRaid shares via DNS name ( \\tower ) and/or via ip address ( \\192.168.x.y ) then try this. These steps do NOT require you to enable SMB 1.0; which is insecure.

Directions:

1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.
  2. Type in gpedit.msc and press OK.
  3. Select Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and double click Enable insecure guest logons and set it to Enabled.

4. Now attempt to access \\tower

Related Errors:

• Windows cannot access \\tower
  • Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.102
  • You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.
  • If you want to find yourself an APK website with safe and free criteria, the Getmodnow website is the perfect choice for you. Always update apps and games quickly

For future reference, if you're unable to access your unRaid shares using the DNS name (e.g., \tower) or the IP address (e.g., \192.168.x.y), you can follow these steps:

Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.

Type in "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) and press OK.

This will open the Group Policy Editor.

In the Group Policy Editor, navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation.

Double-click on "Enable insecure guest logons."

Set the policy to "Enabled."

Attempt to access \tower or the IP address again.

very long shot here, came across this troubleshooting my own inability to map network drive or access shares on my unraid from a particular windows 10 client i have. i have 2 win 10 machines, my main one is working just fine according to the configuration i have setup. my other machine is not and it's been driving me crazy - this box is what unraid has replaced in many ways, plex server - downloader machine - omada controller etc... - and i haven't used it for much of anything since getting comfortable with unraid and getting it stable.

today decided to try and start cleaning up the music library and trying out musicbrainz picard so i need to grab a subset of media off the unraid share and wasn't able to. 

i finally (couple hours effort and lots of tweaks and adjustments per the various suggestions in this threa and others) happened to notice the Private internet access icon in the systray - despite setting it to allow lan traffic, once i turned this off everything appears and shows up properly - prior to that i could ping the server but i couldn't see ANY shares. private, public, etc... turned off PIA and now we're good to go. incredibly frustrating oversight on my end. 

hopefully you have something similar and same oversight? if not, sorry and good luck! i understand your comment about not changing anything and it was working but now isn't just throwing it otu there just in case. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am super frustrated. Out of nowhere I could not access my shares from my windows 10 workstation. I am getting the error "0x80070035 The network path was not found." At first I suspected the UnRAID Box (6.11.5) to be the issue because I changed the root password. But then I noticed that my W10 Laptop has access to the shares.

On my workstation I already tried the following:

• in registry \LanmanWorkstation\Parameters: set AllowInsecureGuestAuth to 1
  • deleted login credentials (there were no unraid-related credentials anyway...)
  • Network security: LAN Manager authentication level -> Send LM & NTLM-use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
  • re-installed SMB 1.0/CIFS in Windows features
  • disabled windows firewall
  • re-enabled netbios
  • network reset
  • set network to public (and back to private bc it didnt help)
  • switched network discovery back and forth

I hope somebody has another idea...

Thanks!