Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

32 minutes ago, jasonjulius1122 said:

Same as Me, I also trying to solve this problem but I can't accomplish but now after seeing this I have done this work. 

Thanks to you peoples.

I'm leaning 99.999% some change that M$ made during a patch. Tested by creating a new stand-alone linux file server. Could not connect with main machine. Luckily for me, this summer is the 'refresh main box' summer.

So, after updating from 6.9.x to 6.12. I can no longer acces my SMB shares. Syslog is filled with messages like these:
image.thumb.png.5fe8b36c77cf45ddf6b04a7f4b25dd9e.png

I've run docker safe new permissions. No change.

I checked ls -l /mnt and /mnt/user. All folders here are drwxrwxrwx with nobody:users as the owner.

I've tried creating a new user. No change
I've set the shares to public. No change. 

Trying to acces the share via windows shows "Windows cannot acces \\Tower\Backups" and "You do not have permission to acces \\tower\backups", but no error code or something.

I've tried rebooting. Rebooting only samba. Removing all credentials in windows and rebooting that. Nothing seems to help.

What else can I try?

2 minutes ago, heggico said:

So, after updating from 6.9.x to 6.12. I can no longer acces my SMB shares. Syslog is filled with messages like these:
image.thumb.png.5fe8b36c77cf45ddf6b04a7f4b25dd9e.png

I've run docker safe new permissions. No change.

I checked ls -l /mnt and /mnt/user. All folders here are drwxrwxrwx with nobody:users as the owner.

I've tried creating a new user. No change
I've set the shares to public. No change. 

Trying to acces the share via windows shows "Windows cannot acces \\Tower\Backups" and "You do not have permission to acces \\tower\backups", but no error code or something.

I've tried rebooting. Rebooting only samba. Removing all credentials in windows and rebooting that. Nothing seems to help.

What else can I try?

Post diagnostics so we can help you.

Don't really know either of those, but tailscale is a VPN? I do run wireguard. But not tailscale or zerotier.

This issue occurred directly after the update. The only share that does seem to work is an unassigned drive share, so samba itself seems fine? However none of the ones on the array work.

Edited by heggico
4 hours ago, heggico said:

Don't really know either of those, but tailscale is a VPN? I do run wireguard. But not tailscale or zerotier.

This issue occurred directly after the update. The only share that does seem to work is an unassigned drive share, so samba itself seems fine? However none of the ones on the array work.

It might be worth running a check filesystem on all array drives and pools in turn.   I have seen file system corruption causing problems with shares.

So, boot array devices (XFS) and cache (BTRFS) showed no error when running the check commands. (and scrub with BTRFS).
This didn't seem to change anything.

Also rebooted the server again afterwards. Suddenly, it works. So not sure what caused it and why it works now, but something fixed it.

Thanks for the help!

This is a BUMP, as the problem persists for me and others...

Out of nowhere I could not access my shares from my windows 10 workstation anymore. I am getting the error "0x80070035 The network path was not found." At first I suspected the UnRAID Box (6.11.5) to be the issue because I changed the root password. But then I noticed that my W10 Laptop has access to the shares.

On my workstation I already tried the following:

• in registry \LanmanWorkstation\Parameters: set AllowInsecureGuestAuth to 1
  • deleted login credentials (there were no unraid-related credentials anyway...)
  • Network security: LAN Manager authentication level -> Send LM & NTLM-use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
  • re-installed SMB 1.0/CIFS in Windows features
  • disabled windows firewall
  • re-enabled netbios
  • network reset
  • set network to public (and back to private bc it didnt help)
  • switched network discovery back and forth

I hope somebody has another idea...

Thanks!

Edit:

I removed all users except "root" and am finally able to access the shares.

However, I am not able to move files over to the server. It says "You need permission to perform this action - Try again - Cancel". What a mess is this??

Edit2:

Now it works. Had to set all shares to "public" instead of "secure".

Edited by Konstellis
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 1:58 AM, Wadzwigidy said:

I think it was an update to Unassigned Devices plugin. (I could be wrong) I don't remember seeing the options below but I set them and mine work now.
image.png.d291512e87a79308809c8b9de6a243ee.png

Enable SMB Security was set to No before. Also I cleared out my SMB config, started my array back up and stopped again and put this in my SMB config.
image.png.3db5d4c7f49ecda2f017ff8e9e43df40.png

I don't know if these will work for everyone but they worked for me. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Finally got around to trying this. Even with a server reboot still no SMB access.

Hi folks, there is a lot going on in this thread, and there are likely a lot of different root causes for Samba issues in the four years since this thread was created.

If you are having SMB issues in 6.12.0 - 6.12.2, please check out 6.12.3-rc3, available here:

This release has networking updates which could affect SMB

If that release doesn't help, please review this recent thread, which covers a number of potential problems:

If that doesn't help, go ahead and start a new thread with diagnostics and a clear description of the problems that you are seeing. Just to mention it... posts that say "Same" or don't have diagnostics aren't actionable and aren't going to lead to a solution any faster.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to sure we're to start but here goes nothing

So out of the blue yesterday dopus says

An error occurred reading folder: The system cannot open the file. (4) (this is a mapped drive by name) and explorer says something similar I reboot my desktop I'm then able to access it again I amd still able to access it by ip address I'm also running a w10 pro vm and it does NOT seem to have this prob as far as i can tell anyhelp would be great as I really don't want to have to remap the drive by ip (even though unriad is set to use a static ip) right now I'm not even able to readd my movies back up to mediacompanion bc of this

Ps I havnt tried restarting the unraid server as of yet to see of the problem persistent

I'm making a new unraid box so I encountered smb share issue with Windows 10 Pro. Here is solution that worked for me:

Make new unraid user (the one you will access share(s) with) and add that user to a share.

Make the share Public for now.

In windows press Windows key +R and type gpedit.msc

go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation

Select "Enable Insecure Guest Logons" and switch it temporarily to Enabled.

Leave that window open for now, you'll want to switch it back later.

Open Files Explorer, right click Network and click Map Network Drive

Under folder put in location the unraid share should be at (eg. \\Tower\isos if you added that new user to isos share)

Select "Connect using different credentials" and click Finish.

It will ask you for username and password of the user you just created and connect.

When it connects, go back and revert "Enable Insecure Guest Logons" to "Not Configured".

You may also delete that share in File explorer if you wish.

In UnRaid you can now set the share to Secure/Private and still have access to it from Windows machine. Any new share with said user added will also be visible.

Edited by Lavoslav
clarification
13 minutes ago, Lavoslav said:

I'm making a new unraid box so I encountered smb share issue with Windows 10 Pro. Here is solution that worked for me:

Make new unraid user (the one you will access share(s) with) and add that user to a share.

Make the share Public for now.

In windows press Windows key +R and type gpedit.msc

go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation

Select "Enable Insecure Guest Logons" and switch it temporarily to Enabled.

Leave that window open for now, you'll want to switch it back later.

Open Files Explorer, right click Network and click Map Network Drive

Under folder put in location the unraid share should be at (eg. \\Tower\isos if you added that new user to isos share)

Select "Connect using different credentials" and click Finish.

It will ask you for username and password of the user you just created and connect.

When it connects, go back and revert "Enable Insecure Guest Logons" to "Not Configured".

You may also delete that share in File explorer if you wish.

In UnRaid you can now set the share to Private and still have access to it from Windows machine. Any new share set to Private with said user added will also be visible.

Just because I like grasping as straws, I tried this...again...and it worked as well as it has all other times. Which is not at all.

First network path not found then no permission, even though I can 'access' via nfs/tcpip. and it is a share set to public in SMB/CIFS and NFS

Sorry to hear that mate.

My situation is brand new UnRaid and brand new Windows install. Last time I did it I had to jump through hoops... add users and adjust bunch of settings and whatnot in windows and it took me a good while to get it running. The thing I did and posted above was done in about 30 minutes or less after a bit of browsing and works for me.

Hope you find a solution.

Just starting to get the same problems. Unraid 6.12.3, I set some of my shares to Public and it was working fine. Then out of nowhere, no access. I'm being asked to provide username/password even though the share is public and when I provide credentials I get a "Access denied." back.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

What finally fixed this for me was:

1) deleting the user in unraid

2) create a new temporary user

3) give that account access to the smb shares

4) verify it worked in windows (it worked for me)

5) delete that temporary user

6) reboot the windows pc

7) recreate the account in unraid, give permissions, and bam, success!

All of my shares are set to private.

I don't know how much of it was necessary, or if it'll work for others, but i've finally got access to the shares again.  It was an Unraid issue for me, as multiple windows PCs were having issues.

Edited by tony2win
added info
  • 2 months later...

I found a solution that worked for me and hopefully helps others!

My setup: Windows 10 PC > WireGuard VPN > unRAID Server 

I was unable to add a network location for my unRAID SMB shares "Windows can't connect (ERROR: 80004005)"

I just discovered this was my Bitdefender Firewall not allowing me access to my unRAID SMB shares through Windows Explorer remotely, I tested this by disabling the Bitdefender Firewall on my Windows 10 machine and voila!

Will need to look into an exception bypass on Bitdefender to allow this access through the firewall going forward.

Hope this helps others!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, 

I keep getting a similar error in windows server 2019. For whatever reason i cannot install smbDirect meaning smb2.0 and 3.0. And this is a VM in unraid. I've been going through the nic card path and it seems this forum has other workarounds with group policy that technically i don't need because im using my laptop with windows 10 and windows 11 pro just fine?

23 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Hi, 

I keep getting a similar error in windows server 2019. For whatever reason i cannot install smbDirect meaning smb2.0 and 3.0. And this is a VM in unraid. I've been going through the nic card path and it seems this forum has other workarounds with group policy that technically i don't need because im using my laptop with windows 10 and windows 11 pro just fine?

Wow so this worked for me. i'm sure it wasn't that way and well it probably shouldn't be. I have all my shares secured so you need a username and password to access them, besides my downloads/garbage pile. I'll send a support ticket just for research and they can take it with a grain of salt for improvement.  

Some notes over the yesrs that i have found.

Especially for windows enterprise environments...

Most routers have moved to dns/lmhost to use as search domains (.lan / .local ...). For Windows 95 compatibility, the search domain should be localdoamin and if posible set dhcp option 15 and 119 set to localdomain on advance linux routers can fix netbios name on windows....

Windows since xp era changed lanman settings for guest /aynomous/ everyone users.

I have found on windows enterprise to have to enable them via registry.

enterprisefix.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000000
"EnableSecuritySignature"=dword:00000001
"ServiceDllUnloadOnStop"=dword:00000001
"AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LimitBlankPasswordUse"=dword:00000001
"NoLmHash"=dword:00000001
"everyoneincludesanonymous"=dword:00000001
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
"restrictanonymoussam"=dword:00000001