Shutdown Hangs and Disk's Won't Mount

I have been having a problem with the disks in my server not being able to mount after start up.

I noticed a problem with some of my docker containers (Specifically MakeMKV) not acting the way they should be. In order to troubleshoot the problem I initiated a reboot of the docker container itself, but instead it just hung in a started state. From there I figured that whole system reboot would be the best way to go, but I still wanted to isolate the docker container. To do this, I switched all of the docker container’s “Auto-Start” toggles to off, and initiated the reboot from inside the web browser GUI. However, on shut-down, it got hung up on “Turning off Swap” for a while. After about an hour I finally broke down and force shut down the system with the front panel button.

Upon start up, I can get to the web browser GUI and see all my disks per usual. However, since I do not have “Array auto start” on, when I click start array, the array is now in an endless “Array Starting - Mounting Disks” state. And I can’t seem to get out of it.

Here is what I have already tried…

• Booting in safe mode and trying to mount the disks that way.
  • Starting array in maintenance mode and running xfs_repair on the disk I believed to be the problem, md1.
  • I have tried removing all plug-ins that may be causing the problem. And then eventually removing all plug-ins.

There is also a weird anomaly that I have seen through all of this. Two of the logical cores on my CPU are pinned at 100% oddly enough. I am not too sure if that’s related or not, but I just thought I would mentioned it.

I have attached my most recent Diagnostic. If someone could take a look at it and maybe lead me down the right path of repair, that would be awesome.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 4.31.34 PM.png

mecca-diagnostics-20190127-1632.zip

5 minutes ago, dsmithers said:

Mainly because this is where the majority of my data is stored. Am I flawed in my reasoning?

Not necessarily, but that in itself would not make me suspect a particular disk.

17 minutes ago, dsmithers said:

I noticed a problem with some of my docker containers (Specifically MakeMKV) not acting the way they should be.

Could you elaborate?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Could you elaborate?

Usually, with MakeMKV, you would throw in the disk, open it up, and rip it. However, when opening the disk, it would just hang. Nothing would happen, and the docker would not use any of the resources allocated to it as usual. Leading my to my thought of rebooting the container itself. Except when rebooting, it would just hang there too. No shut down, no reboot. Nothing.

Those diagnostics aren't really telling me much, and a lot of what diagnostics does tell isn't available without starting the array. The syslog doesn't even seem to indicate that you attempted to start the array. Syslog is reset on reboot so maybe you haven't tried since the last reboot.

You can make the array autostart by editing config/disk.cfg on flash and changing autostart to yes. No reason it should autostart if you can't manually start it though.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can make the array autostart by editing config/disk.cfg on flash and changing autostart to yes. No reason it should autostart if you can't manually start it though.

Since the original post, I have attempted to start the array, and I am currently hung at "Array Starting - Mounting Disks".  This seems to be the furthest I have been able to get all day.

mecca-diagnostics-20190127-1707.zip

The time zone in UnRaid is correct. I am fairly certain my BIOS clock is correct. But to check I would have to shut down the system while it's attempting to mount disks. And given the fact it has not gracefully shut down all day, (the stuck on "Turning off Swap" error mentioned in the Original post), I will probably have to force shut it off. Do you consider this to be a problem if I were to check the BIOS?

Everything was running fine as of just a week ago. That was the last time I had opened the browser GUI. The nvme device contains a Ubuntu VM was added at the time of build along with the cache ssd and the 4 HDDs. That would make it 6 devices for the Basic License. Does the Unraid Flash drive count towards your total storage device count?

I can't imagine the Basic License being the issue in this case. I have been running the current set up for about 2 months now, and this would be the fist time I have had any kind of issue.

I think the DVD drive may count. I know it did at one time but maybe that is detected separately now and not counted. I'm not sure. The flash drive doesn't count.

I'm not seeing anything and running out of ideas. Have you done a memtest?

I guess you could redo the flash drive just to see if it made any difference. Copy config folder to PC, prepare flash as new install, copy config folder back.

• Upvote 1

I thought about the DVD Drive at about the same time you just did. It was connected via USB, I simply unplugged it. I did have to force shut down the system, but it came right back up and everything mounted just as normal. In the end, I think that was the issue.

But here is the kicker. I have had the 6-drive Basic License since the beginning. Now that I think about it, the DVD drive was added a week or two after the fact and had been working just great ripping movies using MakeMKV up until now. Do you have any idea why I was able to use it with a Basic License, even though it was technically the 7th device?