Ryzen 1700 Idle Freeze problem

Jacky

I have a version 6.6.6 setup with a Ryzen 1700 CPU and a Gigabyte ab350m-d3h motherboard. I keep getting random lock ups and freezes after a few hours of up time. I've tried a bunch of solutions from online but none of which is working for me. I can provide the diagnostic files from FCP if needed, but I don't know which file is important. 

What I've tried so far:

1. Putting rcu_nocbs=0-15 parameter in Syslinux Configuration.

2. Setting Global C-State Control to disabled and Power Supply Idle Control to Typical Current Idle in the BIOS

3. Putting /usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable into the go file inside the flash drive.

Please give me some suggestion of what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks in advance. 

IMG_20190127_152512.jpg

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

If the known workarounds don't work for you not much advice we can give you, besides using different hardware, Ryzen issues with Linux are well known, some board/CPUs combos work better than others, but even those can work great with a kernel release and crash on the next one.

Do you have a good motherboard to recommend that works well with the 1700?

I use 1700 with Asus PRIME X370-PRO, no hang / unstable problem for Unraid ( but like common issue, sometimes it can't boot to OS ).

For previous C-State problem, system would just hang up, no any call trace. The only trace happen was bad RAM stick.

As your MB was MATX, I have one Asrock (MATX) or Gigabyte (ITX) could do very basic Unraid bootup test for your ref. ( i.e. ~10hrs, not 1700 CPU and no disk )

BTW, suggest you perform more test first ( i,e, memory test, unstall all plugin, safe mode ..... )

Edited by Benson
1 hour ago, Benson said:

I use 1700 with Asus PRIME X370-PRO, no hang / unstable problem for Unraid ( but like common issue, sometimes it can't boot to OS ).

For previous C-State problem, system would just hang up, no any call trace. The only trace happen was bad RAM stick.

As your MB was MATX, I have one Asrock (MATX) or Gigabyte (ITX) could do very basic Unraid bootup test for your ref. ( i.e. ~10hrs, not 1700 CPU and no disk )

BTW, suggest you perform more test first ( i,e, memory test, unstall all plugin, safe mode ..... )

Did you have to any adjustments to fix the freeze problem or it fixed itself after an update? Thanks for the suggestions.

15 minutes ago, Jacky said:

Did you have to any adjustments to fix the freeze problem or it fixed itself after an update? Thanks for the suggestions.

Just disable C-State at BIOS, but later version already fix this.

** Remark : For my case, C-State problem would cause hang quickly after idle, no need for hour **

Edited by Benson
  • 4 weeks later...