Its been a while....considering a new monster unraid server

Travis McCann

I have been loving UnRaid for my existing server. I have been running Plex and Handbrake dockers but want to move into more VM stuff as well. Now its time to start planning the next Server. Current plan is to take existing Server and make it a storage only server since its only got:

supermicro  - x11ssh-f

Intel xeon E3- 1230 v5 @3.4GHz, 

16gb ecc memory (1x dim), 

4x 8Tb seagate 7200rpm nas drives (1x is the parity drive),

1x 500Gb crucial ssd cache drive.

10gb mellanox connect-x2 nic

all in a Rosewell case with 12 hot-swap bays

I have a fiber connection now so bandwidth for what I am asking wont be a problem. I am looking at hardware for the following tasks:

1) Plex server (docker) for 2 maybe 3 in home clients and for 5 out of home clients.

2) Handbrake (docker) for converting my video files to usable files for Davinci resolve,

3) a Linux vm for a small Ark game server for both me and my brother in-law.  

I have been looking at either building a new threadripper system or using something like a used R710 or R720 to handle all I am trying to get out of the new server. I know its a tall order to fill but need some help trying to figure out what the best hardware I need is.

So far this is my plan: Run a btrfs cache pool with 4x 2tb ssd's (4tb usable for high speed data access) a 1tb nvme ssd for my dockers and vms and a small storage for non-highspeed storage (2x 8tb drives one in parity and one for the data). All data on new server backed up to existing server via Rclone that way if new one goes I have additional backups. I also have a 1050ti or Rx580 I can use for the vms. I am looking at either 32gb or 64gb for ram.

I have all of the drives for the new system just don't know what way to go? team Red or team Blue?

I figured I should ask the community to see what my options are since each side has its own challenges.