Complete Noob

Still on my trial to see if this is something i can learn. Following the videos on line i got a few of the things that a re important to me working, some not even close.

Is there a way to 1) keep all the info on my array disks (i.e. movie and music files)  and 2) just start over again since i still have 17 days reaming on the trial?

Just to make it clear.

1) You are on the trial with 17 days left?

2) You wanna know if you can switch from trial to basic, plus or pro without loss of any data (no matter what)? Answer=Yes, it´s possible. Just buy the license you need and follow instructions. That´s it. You won't regret it. 

It might be better and more instructive to work with us to try to fix whatever isn't working for you.

Unlike Windows, for example, the Unraid OS doesn't accumulate a lot of stuff that needs to be cleaned out with a new install. The Unraid OS is unpacked fresh from the archives on flash into RAM at each boot, then settings from the webUI are applied. The OS runs in RAM. So in a way it is a fresh install at each boot.

But if you really want to "start over" with your trial license, you can try this. I haven't tested this with a trial license but I think it should work. In any case you will have a backup of flash you can use if anything is missing.

1. Go to Main - Boot Device - Flash and click on the Flash Backup button. This will download a zipped copy of your flash drive.
  2. Prepare the flash drive as a new install.
  3. Unzip that flash backup and get the super.dat and trial.key file from the config folder and put them in the config folder on the new install.
  4. Boot Unraid.

This will result in keeping your disk assignments as they are with their data intact, but nothing else will be set up.

There are basically 2 things you need to be careful of in Unraid whenever you want to be sure to keep your data, whether you are starting over or not.

• Don't format anything. Parity won't bring back a formatted disk.
  • Don't add a disk with data on it to a new slot in an array that already has valid parity. Unraid will clear it so parity is maintained.

As for keeping your data though, there is absolutely no substitute for backups. You must have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. You should take care of this before doing anything else.

If you have any questions, problems, or doubts, please ask.

All i really need is just put everything back to a "fresh" state.  I was able to get things like Plex, Sonarr, etc working. but even following the vids on Openvpn, it never worked. not sure if i screwed something up or not. SO i was going to start all over again, but didn't want to lose all the move and music files i moved to the array. Just not sure how to go about it. So far , it hasn't been too much of a learning curve, even at 65 years old. I have been using linux for the past 6 yrs now. But at the same time this a completely new animal. If i can get this to do what i want on the old desktop i have , then i plan on building a new server and buying the pro.