A few docker and VM questions

GHunter

1. I just pinned all of my docker containers to use pair CPU 1 and HT 5 and I'm noticing that they use pin 1 but not pin 5. Are docker containers not capable of using the hyperthreaded CPU? I've got 9 of them running and they are clearly using pin 1 but not 5 according to the dashboard page CPU usage percentage.

2. Now that I have my docker containers pinned to a CPU/HT pair, how do I add the ability to use emulator pinning to CPU 0 and HT 4 to each container?

3. I thought we had the ability to have wait times when starting VM's like we do with dockers but I'm not seeing it in the webgui. Am I wrong about this feature?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, GHunter said:

1. I just pinned all of my docker containers to use pair CPU 1 and HT 5 and I'm noticing that they use pin 1 but not pin 5. Are docker containers not capable of using the hyperthreaded CPU? I've got 9 of them running and they are clearly using pin 1 but not 5 according to the dashboard page CPU usage percentage.

Have you also isolated CPU cores in addition to pinning cores?

37 minutes ago, GHunter said:

2. Now that I have my docker containers pinned to a CPU/HT pair, how do I add the ability to use emulator pinning to CPU 0 and HT 4 to each container?

Emulator pinning is for VMs only

37 minutes ago, GHunter said:

3. I thought we had the ability to have wait times when starting VM's like we do with dockers but I'm not seeing it in the webgui. Am I wrong about this feature?

Switch to advanced view

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Have you also isolated CPU cores in addition to pinning cores?

Yes, they are isolated in syslinux.cfg.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Emulator pinning is for VMs only

Ok. I didn't know this.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Switch to advanced view

I tried this but didn't see any place to set the startup delay time. I'll check again as I might have missed it.

Thanks for the help

52 minutes ago, GHunter said:

Yes, they are isolated in syslinux.cfg.

If your container(s) are pinned to multiple isolated cores, then the net result is that they will only execute on the lowest numbered core.  (Because by isolating cores, you are preventing the OS (of which docker is a part of) from utilizing those cores)

BTW, isolating cores via syslinux is deprecated on 6.6+, and should instead be done via the CPU Pinning Page in settings.

Edited by Squid
55 minutes ago, bonienl said:

No wait times are only available for docker containers.

Can you can move the order in which VMs are started.

Yes, I can change the order. Thanks for confirming wait times.

13 minutes ago, Squid said:

If your container(s) are pinned to multiple isolated cores, then the net result is that they will only execute on the lowest numbered core.  (Because by isolating cores, you are preventing the OS (of which docker is a part of) from utilizing those cores)

BTW, isolating cores via syslinux is deprecated on 6.6+, and should instead be done via the CPU Pinning Page in settings.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware that isolating cores is done via the webgui but I assumed that the isolated cores setting was written to syslinux.cfg, is that not true anymore?

Thanks for all the info. You guys have been a big help. Always good to know some of the inner workings of unRaid!

Edited by GHunter