New to unRAID (but not that new)

sjoerd

Hello all,

New to unraid - kinda..

At the moment I own a QNAP 419P (4x 3T disk in raid5) which cant do much more then being a nas/fileserver. The ARM cpu is just to damn slow to handle extra services.  About 2 years ago a co-worker mentioned "unraid" so I got a key to use with 12 discs. Only problem: lack of proper hardware. The C2D E8400 that I had (old shuttle sff pc) had room for only 3 disks and could not handle kvm so got a bit bored and forgot alI about it.

Last week I replaced my old pc (LGA1150 i5 -something something with a Giga-Byte mAtx mobo) for something new - "would my unraid stick still boot"? - I placed the motherboard on the "test-bench", hooked up some drives and it booted as I left it 2 years ago. So I ordered a 4U server-chassis capable of holding 24 disks, got 4x WD RED 4TB disks to start with along with some cables, going to replace the 8GB ram with 32GB ram and got 2x LSI 9211-i8 for dirt cheap (one is never enough) with the bios pre-deleted/it mode.

What do I want to do with unraid? Well, I still need to have a file-server for the family so I think that's covered. Next thing is I like/need to fiddle with Linux (fairly new to it) and I can't fiddle at work (for various reasons :D ) so I'm very happy the i5 can be used for virtualization. Maybe I can even get rid of 3 desktops (I'm afraid my son won't go along with that since he is a "hard core" gamer.

The old nas will get a second life as backup server. I want to place that thing "off-site" at my parents.

Hopefully I got all the parts this weekend. I probably got plenty of questions while building and configuring but trying to figure it all out myself is more fun. Been reading the forums and wiki's for the last 3 weeks and there is so much information that every problem I might encounter has already been solved probably :D

I'm happy to show the progress of the build (just not sure if that should be in this thread or a new one)

Regards

Sjoerd

(the netherlands)

Edited by sjoerd