Log shows nothing

15 hours ago, trurl said:

Maybe a browser issue. Have you tried another? Which browser are you using?

Why do you have SSDs in the parity array? Not a good idea.

I am using chrome, didn't think of trying a different browser, will give it a try. SSDs am using to install separate VMs on, should I take it out of the array ? and if so how do I do that now :)

7 hours ago, fakh2006 said:

SSDs am using to install separate VMs on, should I take it out of the array ? and if so how do I do that now :)

Writes in the parity array can only happen as fast as the parity disk, so obviously you will get very poor performance from SSDs in the array. And it is unclear whether some SSDs can invalidate parity behind the scenes depending on how their internal housekeeping is implemented. So SSDs in the array are not recommended. And they are mostly pointless if your parity disk is a spinner.

You would have to New Config, unassign them, rebuild parity, then try to get your VMs configured to use them as Unassigned Devices.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Writes in the parity array can only happen as fast as the parity disk, so obviously you will get very poor performance from SSDs in the array. And it is unclear whether some SSDs can invalidate parity behind the scenes depending on how their internal housekeeping is implemented. So SSDs in the array are not recommended. And they are mostly pointless if your parity disk is a spinner.

You would have to New Config, unassign them, rebuild parity, then try to get your VMs configured to use them as Unassigned Devices.

Thanks, any idea about the log thing ?

On 1/31/2019 at 5:21 PM, trurl said:

So am trying it this way with unassigned devices, but if i do that, can I still manage the VMs and back it up to my unraid array ? I mean is this the best way to get performance out of my hardware ? or do I install the disks as cache and put all VMs on the cache ?

• 3 years later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:01 AM, fakh2006 said:

tried it, still not fixed, thanks for feedback

Any word on this?  I am having the blank log page issue as well (6.10.0-rc3) on a production server i built/manage.  A reboot briefly "fixes" the issue, but it soon returns.  

EDIT: So as Squid suggested below, i updated to "RC5" (had to reboot first to get that to actually work cuz the update popup stayed blank) and now the "Disk Log Information" popup, instead of just being blank, says "502 BAD GATEWAY, nginx").  As per the behaviour i am used to, it's fine after reboot, till 24 hours later...and now i have blank logs again!  All the client shares are being accessed and used without noticeable issue...dockers and VM work fine...but the web UI response is a bit sluggish (i am connecting remotely), and it seems some actions are just ignored; can't change a share setting, or invoke mover from main page, for example...button is clicked, and it just sits there and never applies setting...seems like the UI half-crash is still here for me as well.  (I have been having some UI issues for a while, and it was one of the reasons i switched to the RC versions to try to resolve the UI soft crashes i have been experiencing on both my servers from time to time; but to no avail so far.  At time of writing this edit, i have CPU 8 showing maxed out at 100% but/and it doesn't seem to be real-time updating the graph neither; even with a page refresh.)

NOW, I feel I should mention, i have a bunch of maybe-bad, maybe-not-bad HDD drives i am running various tests, pre-clear and repairs (or just sitting idle) in unassigned devices, and in a "testing" pool with anywhere from 3 or more drives in BTRFS RAID1 (i hate throwing things out that have some use left in them, and if the drive is salvageable, they are used in secondary drive pools on a workstation, or added to a STORj mining pool).  The data in the testing pools is temp at best.  I save printer scans to the "testing" pool, that get moved and deleted right after.  If the number of "testing" pool drives were to die beyond the redundancy in that pool, it wouldn't matter and those folders are set to "ONLY" so there isn't risk of corrupted files being moved to the main array.  Some of these disks are really messed up and do throw all sorts of errors in SMART, so I don't know if independent disks (not in a pool or array) crashing can bring the whole system down...but i thought i should mention it.  Please note: All drives in the array (dual parity) are always brand new at time of install and replaced if any SMART errors present themselves, as they hold the important data for the graphic artists. 

In summary, i am facing a few issues: web UI lockup (sometimes to the point where the shares are no longer writable), and blank LOG pages, and i have noticed reboots are not clean and parity check is started (and yes, i have set long wait times for VM, shutdowns, disk activity etc as per other forms addressing this issue).  I might be traveling down a different rabbit hole then the OP, so feel free to kick me to a new thread if it makes it less confusing for this one!  But it all might be related somehow! 

I don't feel comfortable publicly posting the diag file here, as it would contain company/client names etc in the file/folder names...

Sys info: Supermicro x10DRL-iT w/ dual E5-2690 V3's and 64GB DDR4 ECC RAM.

Edited by miicar
More Info