New x399 build

Flamingo

Dear fellow Unraiders,

I'm currently researching my next build that is going to replace my current dual Xeon sever and my aging gaming laptop.

The platform I picked is AMD TR4. I'm planning to get an Threadripper 1950X cpu with 8x8gb 3200 DDR4 memory modules. The GPU will be a single 1080Ti reference card.

I will be running a Win10 VM for gaming, a Pfsense VM, Probably a second Win10 VM and some dockers.

I'm currently researching the motherboard and this is where I need your help and looking for your experience. Are there any x399 boards that I should be avoiding? Is there a best x399 board for UNRAID?

I heard some of the x399 boards have limited or less than optimal Linux support. Price is not that much an option as I plan this as a 3 year investment.

Please let me know if you have some information or experience with the platform as  I would love to hear it!

Many thanks,

Flamingo

22 hours ago, Flamingo said:

Any thoughts on this board?

GIGABYTE X399 AORUS XTREME sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX AMD Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145084&Description=aorus extream&cm_re=aorus_extream-_-13-145-084-_-Product

I run a Zenith because of my LSI9201 card and back when I got it there was a guy who worked at asus actively helping make the board better. Sadly he became tired of not doing what he loved so he went to another place and since then we've not seen a bios update. Since your just running a 1950x you could look at most of the boards as you don't have to worry as much about VRM cooling. 

Dear Jerky_san,

Many thanks for your reply. I have a good friend who is potentially upgrading this board to better x399 one and I will have the opportunity to buy this off him. I use a Dell Perc H310 8-Port 6Gb/s RAID Controller in HBA mode for my array at the moment. Do you think I could run into any issues while migrating my current setup to the new board?

• 2 months later...

I went with Aorus as I got one lightly used from a friend at a really good price. I migrated my unraid array to a separate system. The Threadripper system is now a kick ass gaming pc but I was hoping that I could consolidate all my computing into one case.

I have a Radeon VII gpu and I experienced about 35-40% of performance loss with gpu passthrough . The setup was less than optimal. But the real dealbraker was the instablity. The VM was running on a dedicated 1TB NVME drive. I made changes to the system files (host file, etc) in windows and the VM couldn't start, or started but lost the usb contoller card so I have no input. In some cases deleting and rebuilding the VM resolved the issue in other cases I had to rebuild unraid and rebuild the VM. After I rebuilt unraid maybe 7 times in 3 days I gave up on the project.

While I had zero stability issues on Win10 VMs on my dual xeon/supermicro build before I had nothing but problems on this threadripper build...

Note with tks.

I run 2 Unraid by Ryzen and old gen Intel, no any VM, I really like Ryzen and TR much. I plan a new build for longtime and finally choice i7-9700k (1151v2 platform).

Long story short, the new build was for VM stuff learning and not must with Unraid . The main reason why not TR was I can't put this platform from a Tower case to 3U / 2U case with UnRAID if one day I want.

I hope 1151v2 platform can do anything easy and stable even a bit slow.

Edited by Benson