Would my mobo support this

Good Afternoon Guys,

I'd like to set up my machine to have dual users like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opX-AsJ5Uy8

it doesn't have crossfire or sli but i can still run 2 gpu's and a dummy crap gpu as the display right?

my motherboard is ASUS PRIME Z370-P

23 hours ago, thenonsense said:

You should post your build, and give us more info.  However, in most cases, what you're asking for is very possible.  

It's likely you won't even need the "dummy crap gpu" thanks to the efforts made in the world of resetting the primary GPU.

Give us more info and we'll reciprocate.

my machine

https://valid.x86.fr/7h6bvj

What with those RAM timings / overall frequency?  First thing I recommend is tightening that down in the name of performance.

Secondly, get the trial version of Unraid, and attempt to set it up and configure just one VM with 2 of your physical cores.  Don't bother with isolcpus or even USB controller passthrough, just try and get some CPU, your GPU, your keyboard+mouse, and your disks.  For the disks, I recommend googling how to use the unassigned devices plugin, and use it to get your OS and any data disks passed through.  

Ultimately it'll feel like the same computer once you're booted into the VM, albeit a bit slower and without hotplugging (hotplugging comes later).  Be prepared to dedicate a few hours, if not a whole day/night.  Watching Linus' vids is not enough.  Put in some due diligence.

Source:  I was in the exact same boat, but with a 7700k.  You can find the threadripper post on reddit detailing some of the struggles.

18 hours ago, thenonsense said:

What with those RAM timings / overall frequency?  First thing I recommend is tightening that down in the name of performance.

Secondly, get the trial version of Unraid, and attempt to set it up and configure just one VM with 2 of your physical cores.  Don't bother with isolcpus or even USB controller passthrough, just try and get some CPU, your GPU, your keyboard+mouse, and your disks.  For the disks, I recommend googling how to use the unassigned devices plugin, and use it to get your OS and any data disks passed through.  

Ultimately it'll feel like the same computer once you're booted into the VM, albeit a bit slower and without hotplugging (hotplugging comes later).  Be prepared to dedicate a few hours, if not a whole day/night.  Watching Linus' vids is not enough.  Put in some due diligence.

Source:  I was in the exact same boat, but with a 7700k.  You can find the threadripper post on reddit detailing some of the struggles.

I dont think cpuz sent the wrong links below is my system specs

CPU: Intel Core - I7 8700k 4Ghz
HDD: WD - M.2 2280 250GB 2 TB
Motherboard: Asus Prime - Z370-P
Memory: A-Data - 16GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
GPU: NVidia GeForce - GTX 1080

On 2/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, Ladrek said:

CPU: Intel Core - I7 8700k 4Ghz
HDD: WD - M.2 2280 250GB 2 TB
Motherboard: Asus Prime - Z370-P
Memory: A-Data - 16GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
GPU: NVidia GeForce - GTX 1080

This excerpt doesn't detail your RAM timings like the other one did.  If you can, I think you should try and drop those if they are in fact floating in the 19-19-19-43 range.  However, that won't break compatibility.

Did you use the weekend to try and get Unraid up and running, with your current hard disks passed through?

23 hours ago, thenonsense said:

This excerpt doesn't detail your RAM timings like the other one did.  If you can, I think you should try and drop those if they are in fact floating in the 19-19-19-43 range.  However, that won't break compatibility.

Did you use the weekend to try and get Unraid up and running, with your current hard disks passed through?

i dont have a extra gpu to test it yet

You do, the one built into your 8700k.  Intel HD 630.

Set the integrated GPU in BIOS as default, and boot to unraid.  From there, just pass through your GTX 1080 to the VM.

You also don't need one.  You can copy the BIOS of your GPU using the tutorial by SpaceInvaderOne for using passthrough with a single GPU.  However, this isn't necessarily the easiest for first-timers.  

On 2/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, thenonsense said:

You do, the one built into your 8700k.  Intel HD 630.

Set the integrated GPU in BIOS as default, and boot to unraid.  From there, just pass through your GTX 1080 to the VM.

You also don't need one.  You can copy the BIOS of your GPU using the tutorial by SpaceInvaderOne for using passthrough with a single GPU.  However, this isn't necessarily the easiest for first-timers.  

i'll use the intel HD 630 for unraid. just bought my wife a RX 480 8GB and i'll use the gtx 1080