Low Temperature Thresholds for HDDs in addition to High.

I'd like an option for critical and warning thresholds for low HDD temperature in addition to high.

Due to server location (by an air-intake vent), I noticed my HDD temps had dropped to ~ -19°C as outdoor temperatures fell to -33°C.

Also, it would be helpful to have an option to keep the array spun up if any single HDD or SDD is below a specified "keep spun up" temperature threshold.  

Edited by brainbone
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can slow or even stop some fans, but yeah, some times it's difficult for home users to keep them in the optimal operating temps.

I actually can't adjust the speed of my fans too much in my case (supermicro server case)

In fact I've ended up pulling the main chassis fan all together as it runs at 100% rpm regardless of bios settings. Got too noisy and CPU temps don't get too high without it.

• 1 year later...

Polar vortex time again, and my HDD temps are already falling. (Monday will be even colder.)

Throwing some masking tape over the vents in front of the drives as a temporary fix.

It really would be nice if Unraid could give notifications for low drive temperatures, seeing that low enough HDD temps can be as bad, or worse, than high HDD temps.

Edited by brainbone
4 minutes ago, brainbone said:

Polar vortex time again, and my HDD temps are already falling. (Monday will be even colder.)

Throwing some masking tape over the vents in front of the drives as a temporary fix.

It really would be nice if Unraid could give notifications for low drive temperatures, seeing that low enough HDD temps can be as bad, or worse, than high HDD temps.

what are your HDD temps at?

1 minute ago, brainbone said:

After taping the vents up, the lowest HDD temp is currently around 14C.  A bit too cold yet, but still above the Seagate minimum of 5C, and well above the insanely low -19C I hit in 2019 (Lost a couple drives from that -- and the older drives that died recently I still blame on it.)

Holy hell. Where is your server? Even in my unheated basement (currently 5*F outside) my drives hover around 25-30C.