HP DL380e Gen8 fan control

brun0

Hi,

I've got a HP DL380e Gen8 Server and want to run unRAID on this Hardware.

When I install my old Dell Perc H310 controller card with IT firmware I can access all 12 LFF HDDs, but HP fans go wild when a non-HP device is plugged in.

All 6 Fans are running at about 55% speed, without its only about max. 19%.

I've tried this (https://github.com/Max-Sum/HP-fan-proxy) Arduino solution but without success. I was able to read out the fan speed on Arduinos console but it did not output anything to the Motherboard.

Now I'm thinking about getting a HP H220 HBA with IT mode firmware.

The last HP firmware version for IT mode ist FW15.10.09.00, LSI/Supermicro version is 20.00.07.00.

I want to run 12x8TB HDDs within the server, HP specs for the H220 only supports up to 42TB.

Does anybody successfully installed an Arduino fan controller to a HP Server and can share some informations about installing/wiring the board?

Is anybody running an array larger than 42TB with a H220 HBA?

When upgrading the firmware to 20.00.07.00, with probably no 42TB limitation, will the Server still recognise the HBA as HP HBA and the fans will be silent?

Or do I have any Linux side control mechanisms to slow down the fans?

Thank you very much!

brun0

• 3 months later...

Were you able to get more than 42TB to run ok with the H220 and if so with which firmware?

I'm not anywhere near 42TB myself, I'll have like 20TB when my first stage of deployment (transitioning from external HDDs to unRAID and consequently shucking them) is done, but I'd like to know what the outlook is. :)

Add 3 8TB drives for example and I'll be there myself.

As for fan speed... ProLiants just favor higher rpm to begin with, adding something the system doesn't recognize as HPE equipment can dramatically screw up your rpms and to be frank, you did well with 55%, I suffered from 100% for some time. All fixed now though. My ProLiant loves its H220 a lot. :)

Would need to check what the fan speed is right now on my server, but it's alright, no motivation to run the cable for iLO now. :D

• 4 years later...