[6.6.6] Stream own music over internet.

Currently I have my music on my PC and on my phone, and it's annoying, since there is no synchronization and it takes up a ton of space (I've backed up my CDs in FLAC format, so it's huge), so over time some songs are only on my phone or on my PC. To simplify it all I thought it would be a good idea to put it all in one place; my unraid server.

I've put all my music on my server, and have no problems with it on my home network. When I'm not at home, I don't have a way to access my library. Preferably I would like to just be able to access the folder structure (just to keep it simple) and be able to play (stream) it on my player of choice (jetAudio Plus), with playlists etc. on my android phone.

Plex makes it way more complicated to find what I want to listen to than needed, unless I spend hours setting it up properly and I can only play that in the Plex app. I do like the possibility of being able to transcode, although I don't know if that is needed for music. (I have 3Mb/sec upstream)

I have Nextcloud set up, but I don't know if that can do what I'd like it to do. And for that to be easy, It would need to be a duplicate of another folder, I think, Taking up double the space on my server.

Is there a docker/plugin that does this, or do I need to somehow make a specific share available online? Besides being possible, it obviously needs to be secure as well.

Is anyone currently running something like this and can help me in the right direction?

2 hours ago, FooYoungHi said:

I've put all my music on my server, and have no problems with it on my home network. When I'm not at home, I don't have a way to access my library.

Another option would be a VPN server on your home network, and connect to it with a VPN client on your phone. A point to point VPN like that makes it appear that your phone is still on your home network.

Use Google music. Point the Google music manager app at your music share it will upload and convert to mp3 on Google cloud.

Then you have access to music on your phone streaming from Google cloud. If you have a pc that music manager can run on all the time then anytime you add music to the library it will upload to Google music.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, trurl said:

Take a look at the airsonic or libresonic dockers.

To my understanding, both Airsonic and Libresonic have the same principle as Plex, but with some supported players. Unfortunately JetAudio Plus isn't one of them (yet).

On 2/1/2019 at 1:21 AM, jonathanm said:

Another option would be a VPN server on your home network, and connect to it with a VPN client on your phone. A point to point VPN like that makes it appear that your phone is still on your home network.

That is an option I have looked at as well. The issue that I have is that I already have a VPN running (Nord), and combining 2 VPNs doesn't seem to be the most stable. It is a last resort option to turn one off and enable another.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:51 AM, klipp01 said:

Use Google music. Point the Google music manager app at your music share it will upload and convert to mp3 on Google cloud.

Then you have access to music on your phone streaming from Google cloud. If you have a pc that music manager can run on all the time then anytime you add music to the library it will upload to Google music.

Unfortunately I'd like to reduce my use of Google services to a minimum. I'd like to do on my own server what the Google servers do instead.

It doesn't have to be high tech at all, a simple filemanager type interface is enough for me. The VPN suggestion will accomplish that, but as stated above, I'd like to keep that as a last resort, because of the other VPN issue.

Not the solution you asked for, but here is what I do.

I have my music library, much of it FLAC, on my Unraid server, and I manage it with MediaMonkey from my PC. I sync it to a 128GB microSD card for my phone with MediaMonkey, which will trancode down to mp3 when it does the sync.

Then I don't have to use cellphone data or even have service in order to play my music from my phone. Yes, it will take a little while to sync 128GB of music, but you can do it directly to the card instead of going through the phone, and that is plenty of space for a very large number of mp3s.