Backup Question

dad311

8 hours ago, bnevets27 said:

Community applications -> backup and restore app.

Backing up to array is fine.

Missed you want it to a USB disk, you could do that with that app but I don't Thi k it would personally.

Actually, when using that app, a critical mistake some people have made (another one this morning) is backing up their flash drive to the array. I know that isn't one of the things mentioned in the OP, but flash backup is at least as important as any of those other things.

And a flash backup on the array, in the event of a failed flash drive, is obviously going to be difficult to get to.

On the other hand, I see nothing at all wrong with backing up any of that stuff to a USB drive, as long as you have it set to Automount in Unassigned Devices. In fact, that is where I backup my flash, to an NTFS external drive so I can easily access my flash backup in Windows if I have a failure of my flash drive. Other people use Unassigned Devices to mount a share on another computer and put their flash backup there.

And you can always manually download a zipped backup of flash at any time by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash and clicking Flash Backup.

9 minutes ago, trurl said:

Actually, when using that app, a critical mistake some people have made (another one this morning) is backing up their flash drive to the array. 

I'm not sure if I would call it critical, less convenient for sure but not critical. Critical would be the backup is lost. As long as the user is aware of what will need to be done to get to the backup I don't see any harm in it. Unless I'm missing something, in the event of a failed usb. You can do a fresh install of unRAID on a new stick and boot, install unassigned devices and mount the drive with the backed up data, copy paste. 

I agree having a backup outside the array on a portable disk or another machine is definitely more convenient though. 

I also wasn't thinking of just the USB data when the OP asked the question seeing as they did ask about docker, VMs etc. I don't see much reason for that to be backed up to an external device/outside the array. With it being a bad idea to do it to a USB stick. Keeping the data on the array is safer. 

But you bring up a good point, Backing up the USB data to a second USB may be a bit more convenient, but I would also want a copy on the array in the event the backup USB goes bad silently or around the same time you need to recover.

Edited by bnevets27
Just now, bnevets27 said:

I'm not sure if I would call it critical, less convenient for sure but not critical. Critical would be the backup is lost. As long as the user is aware of what will need to be done to get to the backup I don't see any harm in it. Unless I'm missing something, in the event of a failed usb. You can do a fresh install of unRAID on a new stick and boot, install unassigned devices and mount the drive with the backed up data, copy paste. 

I agree having a backup outside the array on a portable disk or another machine is definitely more convenient though. 

You mention installing Unassigned Devices on a new install. Of course you wouldn't need UD if you were trying to get the flash backup from the array.

I have helped several people who had their flash backup on the array and we always worked through it by starting from a new install, but it is more trouble obviously.

I guess it isn't a critical mistake depending on how you want to define critical. Even no flash backup at all isn't critical since if you have to start with a new install you still haven't lost any of your data. Just all the configuration, which can be a lot of trouble even if you fully understand how to setup your dockers again, which I don't think everyone does. And a mistake trying to set up your configuration again can cause data loss if you assign a data disk to parity for example.

Anyway, I have pushed this thread a bit off the track.

CA Backup/Restore plugin will handle everything OP asked for except for that last bit, backing up their Shares. Many things about that are going to be user-specific, but there are several dockers that might work depending on those specifics. A search for Backup on the Apps page has several results.

47 minutes ago, trurl said:

You mention installing Unassigned Devices on a new install. Of course you wouldn't need UD if you were trying to get the flash backup from the array.

I have helped several people who had their flash backup on the array and we always worked through it by starting from a new install, but it is more trouble obviously.

My reason for mentioning Unassigned Devices is to mount the drive with the backup, copy it onto the current usb and reboot. That way you don't have to start from a fresh install, all your disk assignments and everything will be back. Sure you could just mount the drive from command line but its the easier GUI solution. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, bnevets27 said:

My reason for mentioning Unassigned Devices is to mount the drive with the backup, copy it onto the current usb and reboot. That way you don't have to start from a fresh install, all your disk assignments and everything will be back. Sure you could just mount the drive from command line but its the easier GUI solution. 

OK I get it. I usually think of setting up a new flash on my PC, so you could just get the backup over the network without having UD involved. Still better to have the backup somewhere other than on the array. Just the manual download I mentioned whenever you make any change in the configuration is really all you need if you can remember to do it.