Virt-Manager, Intel-GPU-Tools and more Dockers

dee31797

MODERATOR NOTE:  NONE OF THE APPLICATIONS DISCUSSED HERE ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ANYMORE ON DOCKER HUB AND ARE CURRENTLY BLACKLISTED

AUTHOR NOTE: I NO LONGER USE UNRAID OR DOCKER. DOCKER HUB HAS REMOVED THE ABILITY TO BUILD IMAGES WITHOUT A PAID SUBSCRIPTION SO AT THIS POINT I HAVE NO WAY TO BUILD, TEST, OR DEPLOY IMAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED HERE.

Edited by dee31797
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Idea of this interest me however not seeing "new" version in Unraid Applications. Perhaps theirs a install guide/info somewhere and I am missing it? Idea of this intrigues me :-)

Thanks!

Blaine

Hi Blaine,

Which application are you interested in?  These are 4 separate applications all run under docker.

The easiest way to install Virt-Manager is to use the template file here.  Save it to your flash drive under flash\config\plugins\dockerMan\templates.  From there you can use Unraid's WebGUI docker tab to add a new container, select Virt-Manager in the template drop down.  Set the network port you want to use, appdata folder, etc.

You can also build the template manually, 

Unraid's WebGUI docker tab to add a new container

set Name to Virt-Manager

set Repository to djaydev/docker-virt-manager

click Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device for each:

Port 5800:5800 webgui

Port 5900:5900 vnc connection

Path /docker/appdata/virt-manager:/config:rw

Path /dev/urandom:/dev/urandom:ro \

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, dee31797 said:

The easiest way to install Virt-Manager is to use the template file here.  Save it to your flash drive under flash\config\plugins\dockerMan\templates.  From there you can use Unraid's WebGUI docker tab to add a new container, select Virt-Manager in the template drop down.  Set the network port you want to use, appdata folder, etc.

You can also build the template manually, 

Unraid's WebGUI docker tab to add a new container

set Name to Virt-Manager

set Repository to djaydev/docker-virt-manager

click Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device for each:

Port 5800:5800 webgui

Port 5900:5900 vnc connection

Path /docker/appdata/virt-manager:/config:rw

Path /dev/urandom:/dev/urandom:ro \

Hi @dee31797, thanks for this I, I got the docker to work ok. However I can't connect to the host. I was using the virt-manager that's still available in community applications that appears to be out of date (2017), I was having issues with the VNC and winded up on this forum page.

The problem I'm having is I was connecting via TCP, not SSH, which is how it was how @SpaceInvaderOne showed how to do it in a video. However in this version TCP doesn't appear to be an option and I get the message: "Unable to connect to libvirt qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system The remote Host Requires a version of netcat/nc which supports the -U option." I've googled around and searched the forum but can't find anything Unraid specific. There's a BSD specific article here but I'm not sure that applies with Unraid. Help appreciated.

4 minutes ago, dgwharrison said:

Hi @dee31797, thanks for this I, I got the docker to work ok. However I can't connect to the host. I was using the virt-manager that's still available in community applications that appears to be out of date (2017), I was having issues with the VNC and winded up on this forum page.

The problem I'm having is I was connecting via TCP, not SSH, which is how it was how @SpaceInvaderOne showed how to do it in a video. However in this version TCP doesn't appear to be an option and I get the message: "Unable to connect to libvirt qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system The remote Host Requires a version of netcat/nc which supports the -U option." I've googled around and searched the forum but can't find anything Unraid specific. There's a BSD specific article here but I'm not sure that applies with Unraid. Help appreciated.

Howdy,

Have you already installed NerdPack and used it to activate netcat-openbsd?  If not, you can find NerdPack here:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/unRAID-NerdPack/master/plugin/NerdPack.plg

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, dgwharrison said:

Hi @dee31797,I haven't run the intel-GPU-tools docker yet, but I was just wondering, if it's terminal based anyway, is there any reason it couldn't be in the nerd pack?

@dgwharrison,

Nerd Pack is maintained by someone else so I can't answer for sure.  My guess is all those apps in NerdPack are single install packages with no dependencies, so intel-gpu-tools may not work in that fashion because it has many dependencies.  Even if it could, the current Slackware version for Intel tools is 1.19 which is too far behind to work with my intel GPU, so I would still need a ubuntu or debian or something to run the updated version.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dee31797 said:

@dgwharrison,

Nerd Pack is maintained by someone else so I can't answer for sure.  My guess is all those apps in NerdPack are single install packages with no dependencies, so intel-gpu-tools may not work in that fashion because it has many dependencies.  Even if it could, the current Slackware version for Intel tools is 1.19 which is too far behind to work with my intel GPU, so I would still need a ubuntu or debian or something to run the updated version.

Ah I see. I'll give your docker a go then. I'm also interested in what's left over while transcoding 4K. Thankyou.

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

What do you suggest as an alternative? 

I believe dgwharrison made the best alternative suggestion.  A plugin like community apps, or software store/center as other linux distros call it is the newer up to date way of finding applications.  Users can search, browser, and then click install done all in one place.  No searching forums or installing/compiling from github.

Not saying forums aren't great for discussion threads or github isn't great for devs/issues etc.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Misunderstood you then.  I thought you were suggesting that CA utilizing published repos on GitHub was not the way to do things.

Oh no, I didn't even know that's how the plugin worked.  dgwharrison asked why not use the community apps so I was just saying I'm using the old fashion way of sharing the docker images with only forums + github.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, dee31797 said:

It's on CA now

Thx, I created the docker, added netcat-openbsd, and still get unable to connect to libvirt.

Anything else I'm missing?

Btw, I suggest you remove TZ from your template, it is set by Unraid to the system TZ, no need for users to add it.