Virt-Manager, Intel-GPU-Tools and more Dockers

dee31797

Hello all, 

I'm using the auto-comskip docker. 

Does anyone know if you can get the transcode process to simply create an edl or chapter list without transcoding and removing the commercials?

Also, any chance it will get nvidia support for the transcoding?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, eds said:

Hello all, 

I'm using the auto-comskip docker. 

Does anyone know if you can get the transcode process to simply create an edl or chapter list without transcoding and removing the commercials?

Hi eds,

Sorry but no, auto-comskip is simply that, video in, comskip'ed video out.

1 minute ago, eds said:

Also, any chance it will get nvidia support for the transcoding?

Thanks!

There's no transcoding done during the process. Transcoding is the conversion from one codec to another, but with comskip the codec stays the same, it just removes portions of the video that were marked as commercials.  Even if you added GPU support, it wouldn't be any faster.

2 minutes ago, dee31797 said:

Hi eds,

Sorry but no, auto-comskip is simply that, video in, comskip'ed video out.

There's no transcoding done during the process. Transcoding is the conversion from one codec to another, but with comskip the codec stays the same, it just removes portions of the video that were marked as commercials.  Even if you added GPU support, it wouldn't be any faster.

Ah!  Ok I get it. 

Thanks for the quick response!

Quick follow up. 

So comskip watch folder is where all my plex tv recordings are saved.  Is the docker going to wait for the video to stop growing to run its process or does it edit the video on the fly?

Finally, I also put the video through a post processing transcode using Recordings-autoconverter.  How to configure auto-comskip to run only when the video is done transcoding?  Is it possible?

Edited by eds
added Recordings-autoconverter
7 hours ago, eds said:

Quick follow up. 

So comskip watch folder is where all my plex tv recordings are saved.  Is the docker going to wait for the video to stop growing to run its process or does it edit the video on the fly?

Finally, I also put the video through a post processing transcode using Recordings-autoconverter.  How to configure auto-comskip to run only when the video is done transcoding?  Is it possible?

Auto-comskip docker will wait until the video finishes recording (stops growing) before processing it for commercial skip.  Honestly though since you're using plex I would just use the built in comskip in Plex, its using almost the exact same program (comskip) and comskip settings.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I record to two separate shares ~/mnt/user/Movies/ and ~/mnt/user/Television/. I have four tuners connected to plex and average about 8 recordings a day.

So every few days I edit recordings-converter host path 1 to change between the shares so all the files can get converted.

How can I have recordings-converter watch both folders at once? Do I need to add another host path or separate both folders with a ; in host path 1.

e.g. "/mnt/user/Movies/";"/mnt/user/Television/"

I suppose I could also install a second instance of recordings-converter to watch the other folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by SoAvenger
highlighting
4 hours ago, SoAvenger said:

I record to two separate shares ~/mnt/user/Movies/ and ~/mnt/user/Television/. I have four tuners connected to plex and average about 8 recordings a day.

So every few days I edit recordings-converter host path 1 to change between the shares so all the files can get converted.

How can I have recordings-converter watch both folders at once? Do I need to add another host path or separate both folders with a ; in host path 1.

e.g. "/mnt/user/Movies/";"/mnt/user/Television/"

I suppose I could also install a second instance of recordings-converter to watch the other folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I second itimpi

Since your two directories are under /mnt/user I wouldn't point it there for watching.  Running two instances require a different name for each as itimpi mentioned (first field in docker container settings).  

Running multiple instances can become very resource intensive. 

Morning folks.  I'm trying to use the virt-manager docker to clone a VM I've created.  It's a WIN10 sandbox VM for testing software builds, etc.  I have the vm created on the unraid host, it works properly, etc.  When I load up virt-manager, click clone and tell it to go, I get  the following error:

image.png.bdc684f1887b2860b66f9628605cd6ce.png

It's a simple VM - 30G disk image and the connection to the virtio ISO, 2 cores, 4gb mem, nothing special about the vm really.

1) yes - the disk location for this particular VM is on the array and not cache (intentionally) - array VMs is a share that is hidden, but is public:

image.thumb.png.268f5fd0d59402e65cf702aba07366cd.png

2) I tried the docker with privileged mode both on and off and I get the same error.

3) I'm logged into virt-manager as root

Any ideas?  I've tried searching google but not having much luck.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Morning folks.  I'm trying to use the virt-manager docker to clone a VM I've created.  It's a WIN10 sandbox VM for testing software builds, etc.  I have the vm created on the unraid host, it works properly, etc.  When I load up virt-manager, click clone and tell it to go, I get  the following error:

It's a simple VM - 30G disk image and the connection to the virtio ISO, 2 cores, 4gb mem, nothing special about the vm really.

1) yes - the disk location for this particular VM is on the array and not cache (intentionally) - array VMs is a share that is hidden, but is public:

2) I tried the docker with privileged mode both on and off and I get the same error.

3) I'm logged into virt-manager as root

Any ideas?  I've tried searching google but not having much luck.

Thanks!

Hi @JasonK

Can you share the details of the volumes you have attached to the virt-manager docker container?

6 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Here's a screencap of the docker config.  The docker can see all the VMs I have on the server, start/stop/etc without issue:

Thanks,

My initial guess was that the volume had to be mounted to the container, but I tested that just now and I still got the same error you got.  

Guess #2, the container is missing software that it needs for cloning.  I built it to be small as possible and never considered using cloning within the container. So there's a good chance that one of the long list of optional packages Virt-Manager lists is needed for cloning :( 

If I figure it out I'll have to update the container image and when I do I'll let you know.

7 minutes ago, dee31797 said:

Thanks,

My initial guess was that the volume had to be mounted to the container, but I tested that just now and I still got the same error you got.  

Guess #2, the container is missing software that it needs for cloning.  I built it to be small as possible and never considered using cloning within the container. So there's a good chance that one of the long list of optional packages Virt-Manager lists is needed for cloning :( 

If I figure it out I'll have to update the container image and when I do I'll let you know.

Dee - thanks for taking the time to help!  I really appreciate it :)

26 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Dee - thanks for taking the time to help!  I really appreciate it :)

No problem, happy to help!

I did a bit of reading on virt-manager and it's included "virt-clone" module and what we are using should work.  

To verify, I created a new VM in virt-manager docker that shows up and works in Unraid perfectly.  Then in virt-manager docker I cloned the newly created VM in virt-manager docker, and that also shows up and works in Unraid perfectly.

So as far as I can tell so far, the issue is cloning VMs that are created by Unraid.  Still looking into it, but I'm not sure if I can fix that or not from the docker container side.

7 minutes ago, dee31797 said:

I did a bit of reading on virt-manager and it's included "virt-clone" module and what we are using should work.  

To verify, I created a new VM in virt-manager docker that shows up and works in Unraid perfectly.  Then in virt-manager docker I cloned the newly created VM in virt-manager docker, and that also shows up and works in Unraid perfectly.

So as far as I can tell so far, the issue is cloning VMs that are created by Unraid.  Still looking into it, but I'm not sure if I can fix that or not from the docker container side.

Thanks.  I'm creating a new test VM using qcows2 disk instead of the default to see if that makes any difference too

2 hours ago, JasonK said:

Thanks.  I'm creating a new test VM using qcows2 disk instead of the default to see if that makes any difference too

So...created a new VM with qcows2 for the disk, tried to clone it, and the clone process has started.  Will post once it finishes, I test, etc.

Is it possible to upgrade the Handbrake Docker manually?
I have the error that transcodes all files in a dir, even though i have specified jpg, nfo and so on as files it shouldnt touch :)

There are no updates on my docker page, so i need to do i manually via cli i guess?

Unraid machine :)

2 minutes ago, MWDK said:

Is it possible to upgrade the Handbrake Docker manually?
I have the error that transcodes all files in a dir, even though i have specified jpg, nfo and so on as files it shouldnt touch :)

There are no updates on my docker page, so i need to do i manually via cli i guess?

Unraid machine :)

Hi MWDK,

Are you running the nvidia version?  If you're looking for the original (and better) version it's here: https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/handbrake

It was updated 2 months ago.

4 hours ago, dee31797 said:

So, test successful - creating a new VM and having the disk(s) be formatted as qcows2 allowed the docker to clone without issue.

18 hours ago, dee31797 said:

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

I did notice that the clone system clones the disks in the same folder path as the source disk - I would have thought that it would create a folder with the name of the clone (since we have the option to enter one before starting) and put the disk clone in there.