Added new drive booted up to Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout :-o

So I added a drive to my system setup and when I booted back up two drives have Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout on them and I'm not sure what to do.

First some facts: Unriad 6.6.6

MB: Supermicro - X8DT3

CPU:  Intel® Xeon® CPU L5640 @ 2.27GHz

Memory: 48 GB Multi-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 384 GB)

I have 5 10TB drives on the array with 1 tb drive running parity.

At this point, I had run out of SATA ports on the machine and it was time to install my  Adaptec ASR-5805Z

so I could install more drives.  So I install the card, install the mini SAS cables and while I was in there I thought, maybe I should use this time to fee some of those SATA ports up and let me run these drives (two of the ones that are now showing up as unmountable, the cache drive and the "new" added dive) 

I connect all drives to the card and boot up and the drives don't appear. So after booting into unraid and seeing the drives were not there, I figured it was some configuration I needed to do in the Adapetc controller and found a nice how to on this. 

When I was in the Adaaptec menu, I saw the initialize step and wasn't sure if it was going to write something the drives (that had data) since I didn't want that so I canceled  that, shutdown and reconnected the drives back to the sata ports on the MB. I think configured the one (new) drive on the card and initialized it and booted to unraid where I saw the message in the array and two of the drives are unmountable.

image.thumb.png.d7eece9420fed74ddcd422477dae49f6.png

I have run diagnostics and I haven't started the pre-clear (on the new drive) as that will day at least two days. However, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

in array operations I do see the option to format these two disks and they don't show in unassigned devices.

I'll be more than happy to provide any other information that can help with this issue.

Thanks!!

diagnostics-20190201-1814.zip

One of the reason RAID controllers are not recommended, though would't expect it would write to the disks without you telling it to initialize them or similar.

Partition info is outside parity, so if you rebuild one disk at a time Unraid should recreate the partitions, to confirm, stop the array, unassign one of the unmountable disks, start the array, check that the emulated disk mounts correctly and data looks OK, also good to check filesystem, if all is well rebuild, you can rebuild on top of the original disks, though using new ones would be safer in case something goes wrong, when rebuild is done repeat for the other disk.

• Thanks 1

@johnnie.black Thanks for replying. It just finished the party check and comes up emulated. The files look fine. 

Just a couple of questions: How to I run the command to check the filesystem? And if that's good to go, do I just remove the drive from the array and format it? Sorry for the newb questions but I want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks

1 hour ago, mwoods98 said:

@johnnie.black Thanks for replying. It just finished the party check and comes up emulated. The files look fine. 

Just a couple of questions: How to I run the command to check the filesystem? And if that's good to go, do I just remove the drive from the array and format it? Sorry for the newb questions but I want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks

Whatever you do from here on out, DO NOT FORMAT anything.

Let's break it down a bit.

15 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

stop the array, unassign one of the unmountable disks, start the array, check that the emulated disk mounts correctly and data looks OK

1. stop the array
  2. unassign one of the unmountable disks
  3. start the array

At this point, the unassigned disk will be emulated by the parity calculation. You should see if you can read that emulated disk. That is, try to read the disk that is unassigned.

Then report back whether or not the data looks OK.

3 minutes ago, mwoods98 said:

Its doing a Parity-Sync / Data-Rebuild.. I reported it wrong as a parity check. Been a long night and not all unraid challenges.. :(

Which disk is it rebuilding? One way to tell is by looking at Main - Array Devices and seeing which disk is getting a lot of writes while the others are getting a lot of reads.