Flash drive does not boot

thostr

Yesterday I did a "Docker Safe New Permissions" on my unRAID 6.6.6 server, and after that my docker procces stopped, and I was not able to start it again so I tried a reboot.

Now, I cant boot on my flash drive, so it looks like the drive got corrupted somehow.

Here my problem. I have backups of my flash drive on my array, but I cant acces it as long as my server is powered down.

Is there anyway to restore my system?

As I understand, if I download a new USB image, I need to rebuild the array, and/or reinstall original docker containers and plugins. But can skip the process and restore directly from a backup on my array?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, thostr said:

Here my problem. I have backups of my flash drive on my array, but I cant acces it as long as my server is powered down.

Is there anyway to restore my system?

Yes, but it will take getting a bit more information from you.  

First, pull the drive from the server.  Put it in your PC and make a backup copy of your flash drive to your PC.  (Hopefully,, you will be able to read all of it.)  If not try to get a copy of the  config  folder/directory.

Second, try to do a chkdsk on the flash drive.  If it finds and 'fixes' something, try to boot again.  

If it does not boot, connect a monitor to the server and see where it stops.  You might want to take a photo of what is there.  Be sure that the photo is sharp, non-blurry and with a flash spot where there is text. 

Also, tell us about your server.  How many data drives, parity drives and cache drives?   Any unassigned drives?  All this info will allow us to outline a course to recovery. 

• Like 1

Okay when I plugged my USB to my PC, windows suggested a chkdsk, but did not find any errors, and it didnt help toward booting my server. But now I have  copied all the content to my computer. Is it usable for building a now boot drive?

There is no need for taking a picture, because I get the standard "no bootable disks available" message. I have not changed any configuration in boot order.

I have 1 Parity drive (6TB), 6 data drives in array (3x6TB + 3x4TB) and 1 cache drive (512GB). I currently dont have any unassigned drives.

Run the make_bootable.bat file again.  (Remember to do so as an Administrator!) Try to boot again.

If that does not work, be sure to actually check your BIOS to make absolutely sure that nothing has changed there.  Look on the 'Splash Screen' for a key which will bring up a boot menu.

If that does not work, you can reformat the drive and install the Unraid again (Be sure that the drive is labeled  UNRAID ) and copy back the   config  directory  from the backup that you made earlier.  Use that drive to boot.

• Like 1