[6.6.6] What is a Read-Check after Parity failure doing?

unRAID ; 6.6.6

Server : As signature

Setup : Dual parity, 5 data, dual ssd cache

Issue : Parity 1 - Disabled, Data 1 - Emulated

Playback from Plex Media Server stopped unexpectedly today and I rebooted both the server and the AppleTV. When the server came back up I started it and both Parity 1 and Data 1 were showing red "X" marks in the Array Devices list.

The server is showing a Read-Check is in progress on the 8Tb drives. I am not sure how this differs from the regular Parity Check and also if a Parity Check is still going to be performed after the Read-Check. It tends to take about 18h40m for a regular Parity Check on these drives.

Apart from waiting, are there any other actions I need to take?

The system cannot do aregular parity check with dual parity and 2 drives disabled.    It will therefore be checking that it can read all the disks that are not disabled without error.    You will need to do rebuilds on the failed disks to get them operational again.

You should post your diagnostics ZIP file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) if you want an informed view on whether the disabled disks look like they are OK or need to be replaced.   Ideally you would always rebuild to a new disk so that the originals can be kept unchanged in case there is a rebuild error, but if the disks look OK you can probably rebuild to them.

The drives look OK so should be able to rebuild to them.

in case you are not aware of it the process to rebuild to existing drives is:

• stop the array
  • unassign the problem drives
  • start the array (this gets Unraid to ‘forget’ the current assignments for those drives). 
  • stop the array
  • re-assign the problem drives
  • start the array to initiate the rebuild.
  • Like 1