Looking for good xeon cpu & motherboard

Tjeu

Do you mind used stuff or new only? and what VMs/other stuff are you planning?

I don't mind used stuff, but I'm from the netherlands so I'd rather not buy from ebay as it would take ages to arrive. 

But still, I love to hear what used or new stuff you would suggest even if it comes from ebay so I can search it myself on some dutch sites.

My planning for the setup would be:

- windows 10 gaming VM

- hackintosch mojave or high sierra (for development)

- docker webserver instance

- ubuntu 18.04 server (for gameservers like terraria, minecraft, ark etc) only one at a time

- plex

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

i can recommend this seller from ebay, bought some server stuff from him, all working without a problems.. and it's from Latvia, so no problems with long time shipping.
https://www.ebay.ie/sch/marrtins/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
Wow those prices are really low, what cpu do you think I should pick?

Its always worth a shot.

Before I created this post I was thinking about the 9900k, but idk when unraid would update the linux kernel to 4.20 and I'm just curious what would be the best counterpart xeon processor for the same price used or new.

you will run plex - do you need any transcoding? there are many topics about this problem on the forums..
I'm not sure if I'm going to use plex that often, but thats what came into my head for possible use case. If it isn't possible or needs some high-end tinkering its no problem not to run it from the server.

All use cases should be considered required, except for plex and hackintosh.

cos i'm not running unraid bare-metal, i can't suggest you a combo that will work with your video(?) card..

i'm running Supermirco X9 board with dual E5-2670 v1, 64GB ram - see my sig for more details.

i have two unRaid VMs, some Windows VMs, some Linux VMs, all is running without a hitch..

i have a plex server on one of my unraid VMs, but i'm avoiding transcoding cos it will just hart my CPUs..

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, uldise said:

cos i'm not running unraid bare-metal, i can't suggest you a combo that will work with your video(?) card..

i'm running Supermirco X9 board with dual E5-2670 v1, 64GB ram - see my sig for more details.

i have two unRaid VMs, some Windows VMs, some Linux VMs, all is running without a hitch..

i have a plex server on one of my unraid VMs, but i'm avoiding transcoding cos it will just hart my CPUs..

Alright, thank you anyway for all help. For the videocard I'm not sure yet, maybe I'll wait for the 1100 series to arrive.
Anyway, I Will look trough the ebay link you send and see if I can find something. :)
PS. nice build you have there!

Edited by Tjeu