Audio Output Linux VMs

I have an X399 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme MB. I can successfully pass through the motherboards audio output to my Windows 10 VM. However, I cannot get audio to work on Linux (distros Linux Mint 18.3 and Fedora 29). I have selected the same audio device on the VM template for the Linux VMs as I did for the Windows 10VM.

AlsaMixer shows HD-Audio Generic as the audio card with a Realtek ALC1220 chip. None of the volumes are muted, nor can I find any other audio settings muted. I cannot get any audio to work though.

Anyone able to offer some advice?

If the device is known to be successfully passed through with any other VM, and you know that the new VM has the same passthrough settings, then it becomes a config issue for the new VM...  Only thing I can say is make sure that is setup the same was as the one known to be working...

What I can say is that a lot of motherboards have minor issues with trying to passthrough the onboard audio...  And while it is possible, I just passed through a USB card, and use a USB soundcard with it...  That just avoids most of the minor issues with trying to use the onboard audio...  For me that was easy, since I like aftermarket headphones anyway, and it may work just fine with some tweaking... Up to you...

I know its a config issue. That's what I am trying to resolve. The working VM is Windows 10. So far I have tried Fedora and Linux Mint. Both distros see the output, just no audio. If I unplug the jack the input disappears from the sound options on Linux.

I have a Fiio USB DAC. Unfortunately it doesnt work on USB3.0 ports (known problem) and the only USB2.0 ports are via MB headers. Which is where the unRAID USB is currently attached. So I cant pass them through.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, darrenyorston said:

I know its a config issue. That's what I am trying to resolve. The working VM is Windows 10. So far I have tried Fedora and Linux Mint. Both distros see the output, just no audio. If I unplug the jack the input disappears from the sound options on Linux.

I have a Fiio USB DAC. Unfortunately it doesnt work on USB3.0 ports (known problem) and the only USB2.0 ports are via MB headers. Which is where the unRAID USB is currently attached. So I cant pass them through.

Some motherboards have multiple USB controllers, for instance mine has:

IOMMU group 3:	[8086:a2af] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
IOMMU group 15:	[1b21:2142] 05:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
IOMMU group 16:	[1b21:2142] 06:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

And while for me, none of them can be passed through due to issues with my motherboard choice, yours may have multiple options, and one may be pass-through-able...  Experiment with booting UnRaid on a different controller, and passing through the full controller known to be working...

Beyond that, I recommend getting a USB controller card and passing it through, or replacing the DAC with one that works on the ports you have...

Edited by Warrentheo

Mine has multiple USB controllers. They can all be passed through. Unfortunately the USB2 controller controlling the USB2.0 headers is the one with the Unraid USB attached. The others are all USB3.0 controllers. Its not an issue of passing through a USB controller.

The issue with USB DACs is that they all indicate USB type A or C connectivity but not whether they are USB 3.0 compatable. It doesnt appear to be a relevant spec as DACs dont require USB3.0 speed, they dont even saturate USB2.0. Its connection type (Type A, B , mini, micro, or C) which is listed in specs. Focusrite Scarlett DAC for example lists USB Type B as its connection type but it doesnt say whether its USB 3.0 compatable.

But as I said I can already pass through  the onboard audio. I know it works in a VM. Every Windows VM I have created is able to successfully utilise the onboard sound. All of the Linux VMs I have created can see the onboard audio. Unplugging the audio cable results in the connection disappearing in a distro's sound settings. Its trying to work out why there is no audio even though the boards audio is available.

No point buying a new DAC if its just a configuration to resolve.

While I do get the impression that you do know what you are doing for the most part, there are a couple of things that pop out of that last statement...  They do indeed make things like USB-C connectors on USB cables that only have enough wires to support USB2 connection speeds, if you have a USB 3.x port connected to a USB 3.x wire, the port shape becomes irrelevant...  USB 3.x ports are fully backwards compatible, so the whole USB2 issue also becomes irrelevant...  I have seen in the early days of USB 3.0 some USB 2.0 devices that had issues, but those were due to the crappy drivers on the original cards, and is basically a hardware issue or a driver issue with those specific ports...

I know this will sound like a put down, like recommending a "For Dummies" book to someone sounds like a put down, but I swear, this really helped me figure this stuff out since they made it surprisingly more complicated than it should have been with the bad naming that the USB spec has gone through over the years, I would recommend reading the Wiki page on the USB spec here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB  

Also this is a good read to see the kinds of issues you will face when you have issues like this: https://gizmodo.com/a-google-engineer-is-publicly-shaming-crappy-usb-c-cabl-1742719818

Beyond those it will just be trial and error to nail down exactly where the issue is, sometimes it is something wonky like one particular cable, but only when using a specific driver, or something equally mysterious...  But I think you have a good start on figuring out your particular setup issues...

Off course connection type and USB spec are different. I have a USB2.0 hub with a USB type C connector. Odd, but whatever.

I know that USB3.x is meant to be backwards compatible with USB2.0. I dont think the DAC issue is a cable problem though. It doesnt seem to matter what cable I plug into it. When it is connected to a USB2.0 port it works as intended. Plug it into a USB3.x port and it is not even detected. I have tried three laptops and a desktop, utilising USB 3.0, 3.1, and 2.0 ports.

Im going to try Shiit DAC which I have access to and see if that works.

Good luck with that, the USB3 type A port is literally just a USB2 type A port with 5 extra wires for more lanes and faster bandwidth...  If you don't connect anything to those 5 extra wires, you literally have a USB2 port, so it should not matter which port you plug it into...  Sounds like you have a fun one on your hands...