Supercheap starter server

KermitJr

so practicaly it is of no use to have a support of speeds above 150K or so?

if that bottleneck exists, there is no point in looking for a sata 3 bacplane, is there?

unless I am planing on moving to the SSD world, but at those capacities it is way beyond reason and budget for my kinda use...

I will not be able icrease real transfer speed ...

Edited by dearangelo

Yes, I think you are right.  Unless you want to populate your drive cage with SSD drives (or larger regular drives), upgrading your backplane won't help your speeds.  What will help speeds is if you get a single smaller SSD (M.2 is best) and make it your cache drive.  If you plan on using Docker or VMs, I would suggest getting two cache drives and putting them in a cache pool.  This way, any data used for Docker or VMs can reside on the fast SSD and your regular drives can sleep and you still have data protection.

What you just wrote, is a new concept to me... I would have to read about it, I run a nas4free 12 on SSD, it has plenty of free space, it is a 125 GB, so it is practicaly, empty, perhaps I can make a dataset and turn it into a cache... but I would have to do some searching on how to...

Thank you very much for your help!

Hope I was able to help you out.  Here is what my setup looks like with 5 HDD and 2 M.2 SSD cache drives.  Also, a comparison of drive benchmarks I did when I got a new M.2 SSD drive for my PC, it's comparing my old SSD drive, my new SSD drive and the HDD the new SSD drive is replacing.  All three of those charts are on the same scale and I added vertical lines manually approximately where they should go for SATA2 (Green), SATA3 (Yellow), and M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4, Purple).  this type of thing is why snarky people like me call regular HDD "spinning rust" :-).

unraid.PNG

drive comparison.PNG

the more we talk, the more Iget questions generated in my head...

A big-o thank you for your time!!!

I this setup a stripe raid of 4  4TB HDDs?

what is with the different file systems, xfs and btrfs... do they make any difference?

ok I got it,

and all this difference is due to an extra SSD be it Samsung 960 or 970 evo? wow! very impressive...

Edited by dearangelo
6 hours ago, dearangelo said:

two pools and use one for the OS kai the other pool for cache?

Unraid uses RAM, it doesn't install and run from a disk.

If you are talking about a VM, normally you create a file on the cache pool that is mounted as the VM's disk, so no need to separate it out.

7 hours ago, dearangelo said:

setup a stripe raid of 4  4TB HDDs?

Unraid isn't RAID. Each disk in the parity protected portion of the array is an independent file system, not striped. You can use XFS or BTRFS on any of the parity array disks, you can mix and match if you want.

I see

I came across your site searching for some answers in regard to a bad backplane, answers that I found in here and I thank you very much for that!

I am amidst of installing a Nas4Free on an old intel server, coming from a doomed ZFSGURU .

Thank you all so vey much for the help in figuring out things, its been real helpful talking to you ppl.

b regards

Angelo E

architect

• 1 month later...