Newbie to Unraid - Can't see disks

I know there are a million threads on this issue - I've tried to go through as many of them as possible but I think I"m missing something here.  I'm new to both VMWare and unRAID (though relatively tech savvy) so I thought I'd be able to figure this out but I've spent a whole weekend trying to get this to work with no success.

Basic configuration is:

Host is running VMWare ESXi 6.7

Unraid 6.6.6 is running within a VM

Drives are 3x8TB WD Red's connected to the onboard SAS controller (which is an LSI SAS2008 built into a Gigabyte 7PESH2 motherboard)

I've set the SAS controller to Passthrough=Active in the VMWare hardware settings.  It appears that unRAID can see the controller, but never sees the disks.

The controller itself sees the disks.  I currently only have one of the drives hooked up with the data moved off it so I can do as I please with it.

I'm assuming the fact I can't see any of the drives show up in the logs is the primary reason why unRAID doesn't display drives.  I'm almost certain whatever I'm missing is very trivial but I can't seem to get past this point.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd be grateful!  Diagnostic logs are attached.

stinkynas-diagnostics-20190204-1855.zip

Probably you know Unraid is a virtual host itself. Unlikely the cause of your problem, just thought I would mention it just in case you didn't know. 

Running Unraid as a VM is "officially unsupported", so we let others who are trying to do this support each other in this subforum. 

are you passed through the right controller? your syslog shows:

Feb  4 18:48:07 STINKYNAS kernel: ioc0: LSISAS1068 B0: Capabilities={Initiator}
Feb  4 18:48:07 STINKYNAS kernel: scsi host33: ioc0: LSISAS1068 B0, FwRev=01032920h, Ports=1, MaxQ=128, IRQ=18

and if you passtrough correct controller, then are your SAS 2008 controller flashed to IT mode?

33 minutes ago, uldise said:

are you passed through the right controller? your syslog shows:

Feb  4 18:48:07 STINKYNAS kernel: ioc0: LSISAS1068 B0: Capabilities={Initiator}
Feb  4 18:48:07 STINKYNAS kernel: scsi host33: ioc0: LSISAS1068 B0, FwRev=01032920h, Ports=1, MaxQ=128, IRQ=18

and if you passtrough correct controller, then are your SAS 2008 controller flashed to IT mode?

The SAS2008 controller is flashed to IT mode.  (as per the SAS BIOS when it comes up)  I re-flashed it again last night in a desperation move because I didn't know what to do next.  I did notice the different model in the log when I looked at it over the weekend.

There's only one controller (the one built into the motherboard) in this system so there shouldn't be any others.  I'll grab some screenshots when I get home from work.