c3xxx vs (i5 vs Xeon E3)

Hello,

I want to replace my NAS (currently a Synology DS413j) and want to switch to unraid because I don't what to replace all the drives and a friend switched allready and is realy pleased with unraid.

What do I want to do with my NAS?

1) The main goal is file hosting. Backups from PCs, Laptops, a tablet and some mobile phones. I am hosting some video/audio I am watching with kodi players and "smart" TVs. I don't need any transcoding, just access via smb or ftp.

2) I want to integrate a few services via docker that are currently running on raspberry pie. An owncloud instance, iobroker for my "smart"home and maybe some more in the future.

3) I want to encrypt (at least some of) the data stored on my NAS.

What hardware should I buy?

Because the NAS is running 24/7 I want to buy some energy efficient hardware. Saving 10W power results in a 30€ lower power bill per year. 

Currently I have the option between three systems:

1) Atom C3758 (e.g https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C3758D4I-4L)

8 cores, not the c2xxx bug (I hope), enough SATA, enough RAM, USB3 for backing up the backup

2) i5 (e.g. Intel Core i5-8400T + some motherboard (ASRock Z270 Extreme4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270 Extreme4/))

6 cores, enough SATA, enough RAM, USB3 for backing up the backup

3) Xeon (Intel Xeon E3-1235L v5 + some motherboard (Supermicro X11SAE-M https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SAE-M.cfm))

4 cores, enough SATA, enough RAM,  USB3 for backing up the backup

The Atom system would be a bit more expensive to buy but I think it would consume less power than the i5 and Xeon ... I think.

I don't know whether the Atom is fast enough or not. I have searched the forum for builds with an Atom CPU or any one recommendations for the Atom.

i5/xeon sounds over powered for the work it will do.

Does unraid run as good on the Atom system as it does on the i5 or Xeon?

Do you have any sugestions what I should buy?

Thanks in advance

The Atom board will be sufficient for your needs.  I'm using the C2750 Asrock board, got bit by the C2000 bug but got it replaced on warranty.  Replacement still works great.  I pair it with an older 24 port Areca card and currently have 18 drives connected.  I don't transcode either.

I like having the 8 cores available and low power usage as well as the BMC for remote monitoring.

• Like 1