[Solved] Error 43 NVIDIA Geforce 1080 Founders Edition.

Hello everyone, I’m new using UnRAID. My apologies if I’m opening a same post some other UnRAID users had post but I’m trying to setup a gaming Windows 10 VM. I got everything up and running good. Now, the only issue I’m having is the VM won’t install the Latest Nvidia drivers. I have watched a bunch of different guides on how people make the drivers install and what to change and all of that. Nothing seems to work, once I update the drivers and restart, when I look to see if the GPU is good the same triangle warning still there and a message error 43. I don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions or If UnRAID has abandoned this feature I will like to know. 

Edited by eirizarry

Yes, I created another VM with all the same settings and I had the Hyper V on Yes. The one I have now is No. I saw that in the option to upload the GPU bios it says optional. Should I leave it on blank? That’s the last thing I haven’t try yet.

Edited by eirizarry

I use a GTX 1070 in Win10 Pro x64 VM, and I am not sure that the driver hacking option is really needed...  I just used the SpaceInvader command to dump the ROM off my card, set it in the VM's XML file, and have had only minor issues since then (when installing drivers through GeForce Experience, halfway through the install the screen does some scary looking "snow" effects which makes the screen nearly unreadable usually, but works fine after it completes the install and I click the close button on the install then reboot the VM...)

First question is to make sure that the card works just fine when installed bare-metal (outside of UnRaid)...

If that is not the issue, make sure you are booting with UEFI (disable the "Compatibility Support Module" or CSM in your BIOS to make sure the old boot modes are disabled)

Then set UnRaid to boot with the card set to use the VFIO-PCI driver for your card...

append vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot

(Make sure to change it for all the ID's on your card, including the audio devices)

This will prevent UnRaid from trying to steal the card for itself during boot...

Make sure the VM is set to use the OVMF bios, not the older SeaBios... This enables UEFI boot also in the VM, and GPU passthrough needs UEFI boot both host and VM to work correctly usually...

Make sure you are using the Q35 machine type (UnRaid defaults to the i440fx for some reason, which is the chipset from the ancient Pentium 1+2 that never heard of a PCIe slot...)

Use a good ROM for the card (preferably one from the card itself)...  It is possible to download them from somewhere else, but there could be a version mismatch between the one you download and the one on the card itself, causing problems...  There are also other possible issues with not getting the one from the card itself (file being twice as big as it is supposed to be, or filled with garbage and other issues)

I don't think that driver manipulation should really be needed, since if you are getting to the point where you need to do that, it means that you wern't successful in hiding the VM from the GeForce Driver install, and need to check the steps above...

Edit: This is all needed because Nvidia encrypted their VBIOS files as well as the connection between their VBIOS and their drivers starting in the GTX 10 and RTX series...  The GTX 9 series and below don't have this "feature"... This was done for several reasons (HDCP, prevent AMD from reverse engineering their VBIOS, keep customers from modifying their cards to be better than more expensive cards, and others...) Passing through a good VBIOS lets the drivers complete this connection, and therefore removes the need to manually modify the driver side to fix the same issue...  I don't believe all this is needed on an AMD card, because they don't care if Nvidia reverse engineers their VBIOS...

Once you get into windows itself and get the drivers to install with no error, there is a tool to help with the "message signaled interrupt" or MSI setting for the card, which is a much faster way of talking to the card than having to put everything through the CPU...  The attached tool will help with audio issues and other things with the card, and needs to be run after every driver install or upgrade...

MSI_util.exe

Edited by Warrentheo
  • Like 2

I had to dump the ROM of my 1070ti and add on unraid boot flash drive this pci=noaer command to get stuff out of GPU.

After dumping rom, try adding that pci=noaer if it does not work without.

append pci=noaer (and other commands one space between every different command)

5 minutes ago, JQNE said:

I had to dump the ROM of my 1070ti and add on unraid boot flash drive this pci=noaer command to get stuff out of GPU.

After dumping rom, try adding that pci=noaer if it does not work without.

append pci=noaer (and other commands one space between every different command)

I also added pci=noaer to mine, but didn't know if it is normal for most people...  Thought it was mostly my motherboard acting up...

For the record, you should not do this if there is any way not to, it is like fixing the wrench light in your car by cutting the wires to the light...  Not the ideal solution, but I am still trying to fix the root issue that causes this issue for me...  That said, I have been running with it on for several months now with no issue...

Edited by Warrentheo

Well, here is an update on my problem with the VM. The new update that showed on my VM from Nvidia didn’t solve the problem. I install another graphic card and tried everything. I still got the error 43. Do you guys think that I have a bad windows OS copy? I downloaded from Microsoft. Also, I created a Ubuntu 18.04 VM to see if I could get it to work but drivers won’t install neither. I honestly don’t know what’s going on.

Typically if you don't passthrough the VBIOS, the first time you boot the VM, it will work just fine, but rebooting the VM would require rebooting the host since there is no way to issue a reset to the video card from the VM without the VBIOS file, and you have to issue a reset the old fashioned way, by rebooting the motherboard it is plugged into...

Do you experience this? or does the card never work?

If it is always Error 43, there may be some hardware failure here interfering with it...  Make sure the card works fine baremetal without UnRaid in the background...  At this point we need to verify that is it not a hardware issue before we continue to troubleshoot software...

I have 2 Graphics card, one Geforce GT 740 and the second one a Geforce GTX 1080. I unmaunted all UnRAID Hard drives, OS USB and mounted my old Hard drive (Windows 10 OS)with both graphic cards. They work perfectly fine on windows 10. I was reading on other sites that NVIDIA somehow won’t let virtualize or allow passthrough the GPU to a guest user. How true is that I honestly don’t know. I have a feeling that I have a setting holding back the passthrough for the GPU.

Well after a long battle I guess I got the Graphics card to work. I haven’t download a game to test the graphics card but I will do it later when I get the Windows all set up. Thank you Warrentheo for taking your time and help me out with my setup. I went in to the boot server and enabled the Permit UEFI mode, rebooted the system, then I deleted all VMs and created a new one like in the video from SpacelnvaderOne. I didn’t add the graphics card on my first boot. I configured the entire first boot and updated all drivers plus the OS windows update. After finishing all of that I shut down windows from inside the system and not from UnRAID. I added the graphics card after without the bios, start the vm with VNC as the primary connection and graphics card as the second one. I open the device manager and look to see if the error was there but I saw a different one. Error 13. So I rebooted the entire host (UnRAID) without shutting down the vm, I went in to the boot system and unchecked the UEFI again. I rebooted the host again and when I started the VM when I went to the device manager the triangle was gone. I immediately install the Nvidia GeForce Experience and updated the drivers. I waited and updated to the latest again, restarted the vm and everything was up and running!!!

92C20D03-FEE1-45DA-9AD9-2B121C9AA5EE.png

4E25FFD3-4503-40F4-ADAE-1944CF29F76A.png

262B195B-E441-4944-9078-19C7400CF21B.png

I got it to work 100%!!! All I was need it was to plug something on the HDMI port so the GeForce could detect what kind of device is connected as TV. I plugged my projector just so I could have the signal trigger the GPU. I went into the UnRAID server, shutdown the VM, edited and eliminated the VNC option as I already have the VNC program installed. Then I started the VM, fix the time because every time I force stop it comes back with the wrong time, then I checked the graphics card to make sure it has no errors, I checked everything and restarted again to make sure I had everything all set. When I went back into the GeForce app the shield option was there and I was able to connect using Moonlight. I’m so happy it works! I ordered a dummy HDMI so I don’t have to keep anything plugged into the GPU like a TV.

• 6 months later...

Hey people from the past. In my experience of the last 2 days 😀 of trying to sort out this issue, a dummy plug is very important for getting any kind of gaming on a headless vm going. No amount of rom dumps or combinations of settings made a difference until I plugged in a monitor. However, I did also broadly follow the advice in this thread before plugging in the monitor.

In case anyone is looking at this in the future.

Edited by MrChunky