Almost silent built

volume

Hello!

I have change all my hard drives to 8TB (which has the sweet spot TB/€) on both servers (synology nas and unRAID cold storage)

But i need to move my unRAID cold storage server in a case that support more drives.

Right now, unRAID has 10 drives (2 parity 8 data) and my future plan is to add one or two drives, per year.

I read that unRAID OS Pro license has Unlimited attached storage devices and supports up to 30 storage devices in the parity-protected array (28 data and 2 parity) and up to 24 storage devices in the cache pool. 

So the "unlimited" is 30 hard drives. 

Since that i live in a small place, i store my servers at living room/home cinema room.

So i need to be as quiet as possible but unfortunately, i can't afford expensive silent solutions.

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 rev.B

http://nanoxia-world.com/en/products/cases/deep-silence-series/deep-silence-6-rev.-b/209/deep-silence-6-rev.-b-dark-black?c=127

NORCO RPC-4224
https://www.newegg.com/global/gr-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038
dont know if i can found it cheaper in Europe
I read that its noisy as hell and i also this... How a Norco case killed 13TB of our data 
http://wsyntax.com/cs/killer-norco-case/

X-Case eXtra Value RM 424

https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/4u-rackmount-cases/products/x-case-extra-value-rm-424-24-hotswap-bays

from the video it seems very silent but i guess that it has only one drive and maybe the fans works with the slowest speeds.

The silent Nanoxia tower has 2 negatives:

its only capable for 16-20 drives and replacing drives, isn't as trouble free as the rack mount.

Although that a rack mount solution should fit more drives and changing drives is easy, don't know if the noise isn't appropriate for a living room/home cinema room.

• room for at least 15 drives (3.5"), ideally 30 drives (the maximum that unraid supports)
  • don't mind if its a standard pc case or rackmount
  • don't need to be Hot-Swappable  
  • not to loud (it will be placed in a living room)
  • not above 500€ (if its only for the server case)
  • available to Europe

Would love your recommendations, thoughts and suggestion for other cases or solution that a rack mount server can be silent, like a noise damping rack cabinet.

Finally, could you please recommend me all the other hardware that i need to be able to have 15+ drives?

Does the more ram and cpu power is needed for parity check and rebuilding an array?

If not, any cpu/ram combination is perfect since that its only for storing media files and i don't use vm's.

Edited by volume

I use the Antec 1900, and it is full (17 drives). I resolved to upgrade drive size when the time comes that I need more space. I'm currently phasing out all my 2/3/4 TB drives for 8TB. I'm at 71TB and have 2 more drives to swap out, which will put me at 76TB total and slightly over 50% utilization (prior to this round of upgrades, I was at 89%).

My tower is relatively quiet, as it is in my living area, but not as quiet as my SFF desktop.

If I changed cases, I think I would consider Nanoxia full tower version as it looks easier to get into and out of than my current case and would give me 2 additional slots and has the added benefit of being designed to be as quiet as possible.

I won't consider a rack-mount for 2 reasons:
1. I've never encountered a quiet rack-mount case that wasn't both HTPC specific and very limited on drive space.
2. I don't really want to add a rack to my living area.

7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

No, it's unlimited because besides the 30 array devices you can also use up to 24 devices on the cache pool and as many unassigned devices as you like.

thanks for clarifying this.

Can i also share unassigned hard drives on my home network?

but in that way, we loose all the benefits on an unraid pool... like parity and one big pool.

Edited by volume
10 minutes ago, volume said:

Can i also share unassigned hard drives on my home network?

Yes, see the unassigned devices plugin

10 minutes ago, volume said:

but in that way, we loose all the benefits on an unraid pool... like parity and one big pool.

You can't have parity, but you can have one or more btrfs pools with 2 or more disks, similar to how the cache pool works, more info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=462135

• Like 1