WTB: 8TB drives and maybe a 10tb drive

3 hours ago, fmp4m said:

I'm looking for upto 10 8tb drives and upto 1 10tb drive 

Used working with good smart is fine.   Or surplus.   Not looking for new prices.  Trying to beat Amazon prices here.

The cheapest way to get new 8TB or 10TB drives if you are in the US is to look for the frequent BestBuy sales on the Easystore external drives and shuck them from the enclosures. They cost substantially less in the external enclosures.

Currently the 8TB is on sale for $190, but it has been as low as $130 (about 1/2 the current $250 price on Amazon).  I got all of mine this way.  They are WD Red or White (relabelled Reds) drives.

The 10TB Easystores have been on sale a couple of times for $180; much less than the $290 price on Amazon.

Edited by Hoopster

It's hard to say what's really better: used or shucked. I've been doing used and I've only lost a couple drives over the past several years, so for the money it's difficult for me to justify paying a premium to shuck over $80 for 6TB on eBay for HGST or Seagate. The failure rates are <1% in BackBlazes extensive reporting and use.

Hi guys,

I have to replace the parity disk (4TB Toshiba MD04-ACA400) of my backup system, smart errors. Ordered a recertified 6TB HGST Ultrastar He⁶ Bulk HUS726060ALA640-FR SATA III. Usual price (not recertified) here in Germany is about 310€, recertified is 144€. Will share my expirience when I pick it up from post office tomorrow. Will do a preclear on my main system because of a docking station inside the case. If disk passes the preclear, okay thumbs up. If not, back to dealer.

Hi guys,

as announced here´s my expirience with the recertified HDD. Started preclear on saturday , finished (1 cycle) yesterday. 

Starting speed 188 MB/s

Pre-read and post-read average speed 146 MB/s duration (each approx. 11 hours and 20-25 minutes)

Zeroing 142 MB/s duration around 11 hours and 30-45 minutes

Today after work I will replace the failed parity disk. This will lead to more work for the HGST building the parity. When finished I will do an extended smart test on the disk to be sure everything is okay. This should be done within 17-18 hours (info in smart showed the duration between 1000-1100 minutes).

So, I will keep you informed about that process. 

Parity rebuild done, duration roughly 13 hours at approx. 130 MB/s. Former parity check with the failed Toshiba was around 7-8 hours with roughly 140-150 MB/s.

Short smart test of recertified HGST passed without errors, extended smart test started this morning, expected finish is today night at 01:00.

Meanwhile I´m rechecking the failed Toshiba in my main system. Preclear is running. 

hitman,  not my intent to disbark,  recertified / refurbs are essentially the same as White Label drives (some WL are just board wiped resold) but I agree.   Recertified is great given good brands. HGST used (even 3 years at a DC) runs as well as recerts.  I really do appreciate your followup and feedback and offering.  I ended up buying used 4tb from ebay, all HGST out of a DC.  Still have room for more,  but needed some space sooner than later.