[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Just now, j0nnymoe said:

100% fan speed? I haven't seen my 750ti move from using 40% which is stock speeds.

I don't really know the real fan speed, but it sounds like it is burning (I'm testing the gtx 1060). I see that it can be controled dinamically using a X server... but this is quite far beyond my knowledge, I can follow the steps of this but I'm not sure about what I'm doing and what will happen if the server shutdowns... 

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/367584/how-to-adjust-nvidia-gpu-fan-speed-on-a-headless-node

Any clue?

Thanks

4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

That's interesting as all the ls.io team use Pihole and we haven't encountered that problem.  I'm using the stock lists provided and have no white lists.

i have some custom DNS blacklists and Whitelists. it must have messed with the plugin somehow

I ended up just putting a Windows 10 VM together and passing a GPU to it for Plex encoding but with their lack of doing decoding in the GPU on Linux I'm starting to look more and more at Emby now.

To switch or not, that's the question.... Looks like I have to pay to just test it on my mobile devices.

Edited by AnnabellaRenee87
14 minutes ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

I ended up just putting a Windows 10 VM together and passing a GPU to it for Plex encoding but with their lack of doing decoding in the GPU on Linux I'm starting to look more and more at Emby now.

To switch or not, that's the question.... Looks like I have to pay to just test it on my mobile devices.

I'm seriously considering trying out Emby as well and run into the same roadblock, I can't even test out the features I need without paying. Jellyfin is another option and is based on Emby so that will likely be what I test out first as Binhex recently put an unraid template together for it. It's hard when you paid for something and they seem to just ignore some of the more basic functionality things in favor of flashy features no one wants. I mean, I'm by no means above paying for something that does what I want it to, bought unraid after all, but it does kind of have to work. With Plex, I couldn't even try out half the features I intended on making use of without buying it and I have to admit there is definitely some buyers remorse there. Not to mention how little control you have over what is and is not allowed to transcode, a shame really. For people like me, a VM is not really possible as I am already making my poor little AMD server cry for mercy 75% of the time. 😀

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

I can't even test out the features I need without paying.

$5 will give you a month to test out everything. Just be sure to cancel if it doesn't work out for you.

I personally have had a lifetime emby premiere that a paid for up front for about three years now, worth every penny in my opinion. It's been almost totally maintenance free for that whole period, it just works. i have typically 1 local and 4 remote clients connected every night.

I can thoroughly recommend Emby. Jellyfin is an alternative, but I wasn't too impressed with some of their behaviour initially so Emby gets my vote.

The whole reason Emby went closed source was because the original Jellyfin dev forked their repo and removed all the nag screens/paywalls.

Just cos you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

$5 will give you a month to test out everything. Just be sure to cancel if it doesn't work out for you.

I personally have had a lifetime emby premiere that a paid for up front for about three years now, worth every penny in my opinion. It's been almost totally maintenance free for that whole period, it just works. i have typically 1 local and 4 remote clients connected every night.

And of course, you are right. I only wish I had taken that tact with PLEX. I had just set up my unraid server and was on a roll so the possibility it didn't do all that I wanted it to do the way I thought it would hadn't even occurred to me. I ended up with a lifetime Plex Pass without giving it the time it needed for me to find all the problems I would have. However, PLEX does work 'well enough' for now. Frankly, the only stuff I transcode is the hi10P Anime content. The high bitrate UHD blu ray dumps and all play just fine of the Shield I ended up getting because my server couldn't transcode those at full speed. You assertion one should pay the monthly for a while to evaluate really is the better route to go over just paying for the lifetime like I did based solely on what the WIKI and other documentation said it could do. I guess my own shortsighted knee jerk decision should stand as a warning to others. Realistically, I have wasted way more money on way less useful products in my many years on this planet so I can't get too choked up over it. 😜

21 hours ago, Pducharme said:

everything works fine!  Thanks guys!  I also applied the workaround for NVDEC support on PLEX.  The small script that calls Plex Transcoder with the -hwaccel nvdec switch.

Wait...you got NVDEC to work with Plex? That's awesome. I had no idea you could get hardware decoding AND encoding with a Plex docker container. Any explicit instructions on how to set that up or know where I could find them?

28 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Wait...you got NVDEC to work with Plex? That's awesome. I had no idea you could get hardware decoding AND encoding with a Plex docker container. Any explicit instructions on how to set that up or know where I could find them?

I just followed what's in here to first enable the NVIDIA card on my Unraid server, then to enable access to the GPU on my PLEX docker, then I followed the instructions over at PLEX forum to create a workaround to enable the NVDEC. (see this link Instructions for the script

It's only 2 lines of codes you put in a new file called "/usr/lib/plexmediaser/Plex Transcoder".

Step 1.  Go inside the docker PLEX terminal, to /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/.

Step 2.  Rename the file "Plex Transcoder" to "Plex Transcoder2"

Step 3.  Create a script called "Plex Transcoder" (I use nano editor, apt-get update, apt-get install nano, yes to all questions), and put this code in it :

#!/bin/sh

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2 -hwaccel nvdec "$@"

This will tell call the Plex Transcoder and enable the decode part.  Since it's a workaround, it won't show it Tautulli or in Plex Dashboard because plex doesn't know it decode hardware.  You can see it working by running this command from the same Terminal inside plex docker:

nvidia-smi dmon -s u

There is column for enc. and one for dec., if it's not 0, it means it's working.

Edited by Pducharme
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, yayitazale said:

Just asking:

Would I notice any improvements migrating from my Intel Pentium Gold G5600 Coffee Lake with iGPU to a for example Nvidia Quadro P400?

Thanks.

It's not that you'll notice improvements. It's more you are off loading a specific job onto another bit of hardware so you can free up your CPU.

1 hour ago, j0nnymoe said:

It's not that you'll notice improvements. It's more you are off loading a specific job onto another bit of hardware so you can free up your CPU.

Transcoding by HW with the integrated graphics of Intel does this and using low energy consumption, thats why I'm asking about performance differences and if it is worth to spend 120€.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, yayitazale said:

Transcoding by HW with the integrated graphics of Intel does this and using low energy consumption, thats why I'm asking about performance differences and if it is worth to spend 120€.

Thanks!

Probably not. They both do the same thing, accelerate decode/encode via a hardware chip as opposed to software on the cpu. I haven't seen any articles comparing the intel and nvidia hw transcodes head to head but would imagine they are pretty similar.

• trurl locked this topic