[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Did you need the custom version of Plex that was built in that thread or does it work with any Plex now?  I'm running current binhex docker image.

Thanks!

Im using the official Plex Inc Docker. I followed instructions here to add variables required.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
7 hours ago, hernandito said:

Hi Guys,

i hate to ask the obvious. Say I install a compatible Gpu, and use the Plex docker. If my sister who lives far away starts her Plex app on her smart TV, will she see a difference? Or it is just off-loading my cpu and re-encoding on GPU on my end? What happens if my other sister watches something at the same time? 

Thank you.

h.

If you're not CPU bound, then there's little point.  The end user won't notice a difference.

8 hours ago, casperse said:

Great I didn't know I could use my already configuration!

Unfortuanetly I get an error when trying to start the docker with the GPU (I have checked my input for any special hidden character )

image.thumb.png.42d74d2cb10600401e5a527421c9f760.png

Someone in this thread reported that he replaced his existing template with the standard template?

Don't know how to do this? only standard template I can select is not the one for Linuxserver Plex

So close now!!! ;-)

OK REMOVED everything and started over and I got it started but the looks like the docker selects the internal IGU before the Nividia GPU?

image.png.b2fa4e887cd99145b278041a83959409.png

Do I need to change the Bios so that the external card is the primary for this to work?

All that nvidia-smi shows is that there are no active transcoding processes.   Not sure why you think it's showing a preference for the internal IGPU

Yes because Plex used my IGPU - it was showing HW transcoding in Plex and nothing in the above load for my P2000 Card.

i just changed my BIOS to have the PCi 1 as primary graphic and now the P2000 is encoding and doing all the work. Only downside is that I don’t have any console visible on my Unraid server anymore 😞

Edited by casperse
11 minutes ago, casperse said:

Yes because Plex used my IGPU - it was showing HW transcoding in Plex and nothing in the above load for my P2000 Card.

i just changed my BIOS to have the PCi 1 as primary graphic and now the P2000 is encoding and doing all the work. Only downside is that I don’t have any console visible on my Unraid server anymore 😞

SSH to your unraid server and run it from there?

I've got both my iGPU and nvidia gpu enabled on my server and I've got a console no problem. Also no idea if plex does this but Emby allows you to have multiple GPU transcoders:

image.png.07b63daed550a5e90241ec74fd60a67b.png

2 hours ago, cmconner156 said:

Did you need the custom version of Plex that was built in that thread or does it work with any Plex now?  I'm running current binhex docker image.

Thanks!

So maybe a stupid Q but the decoder is only used if you use your Unraid server for direct playback to a Screen right? 

32 minutes ago, j0nnymoe said:

SSH to your unraid server and run it from there?

I've got both my iGPU and nvidia gpu enabled on my server and I've got a console no problem. Also no idea if plex does this but Emby allows you to have multiple GPU transcoders:

image.png.07b63daed550a5e90241ec74fd60a67b.png

No Plex doesn’t do this, I remember a video from sloth tech tv and a post Plex will use the first - primary display device and only one! 

5 hours ago, Dazog said:

Is the nvidia driver going to stay on the LTS branch and will the driver be updated to follow unraid releases or when you guy see fit.

Thanks again for the hard work is the least I can say honestly.

We use upstream Slackbuild packages to build the drivers, and don't really intend to change that, so driver version isn't something we have any/much control over.

Plex keep switching back to the IGPU, even after setting the P2000 GPU as primary display in the bios?

Any "force full" way I can configure the Plex docker to only use the GPU?

I Have a Plex docker without the GPU configuration and here it selects the IGU and when doing the "watch nvidia-smi" I get an error like I should get

Running the other Plex Nvidia docker and executing the "watch nvidia-smi" it works and I get the picture below but no load on the GPU?

image.png.22503c0930c24a16457999dd28e2e36b.png

Looking in Plex I can see that it HW transcodes so it is using the IGPU again....

image.png.93163331c2e92bff7eeb1f030b43ee44.png 

One thing come to think about it I did create a Video device in the org Docker that I build the new one on, but the below settings is not in any of the dockers so it can't be that can it?

Anywhere I can manually go through the file? or does anyone have any working XML template that I can try out?

image.png

When it works it is GREAT... 

Real quick question that I didn't see the answers to with a quick glance.
Does this work with 6.6.6 or do you need to use one of the Next updates like rc3+?

Oh, also, does this only work with Plex or Emby as mentioned or is there/will there be support for it to work with other applications (for example, Boinc)?

Oh yeah, and someone mentioned that Plex will only use a single GPU and only for encoding, no decoding. I'm assuming that means that it would make it useless to attach 2 GPUs to that container since the 2nd one would always be idle regardless of if there were multiple streams going on at once?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, casperse said:

Plex keep switching back to the IGPU, even after setting the P2000 GPU as primary display in the bios?

Any "force full" way I can configure the Plex docker to only use the GPU?

I Have a Plex docker without the GPU configuration and here it selects the IGU and when doing the "watch nvidia-smi" I get an error like I should get

Running the other Plex Nvidia docker and executing the "watch nvidia-smi" it works and I get the picture below but no load on the GPU?

image.png.22503c0930c24a16457999dd28e2e36b.png

Looking in Plex I can see that it HW transcodes so it is using the IGPU again....

image.png.93163331c2e92bff7eeb1f030b43ee44.png 

One thing come to think about it I did create a Video device in the org Docker that I build the new one on, but the below settings is not in any of the dockers so it can't be that can it?

Anywhere I can manually go through the file? or does anyone have any working XML template that I can try out?

image.png

When it works it is GREAT... 

Remove the device mapping in the container settings and Plex won't see the igpu

41 minutes ago, Kiyometa said:

Does this work with 6.6.6 or do you need to use one of the Next updates like rc3+?

Oh, also, does this only work with Plex or Emby as mentioned or is there/will there be support for it to work with other applications (for example, Boinc)?

Oh yeah, and someone mentioned that Plex will only use a single GPU and only for encoding, no decoding. I'm assuming that means that it would make it useless to attach 2 GPUs to that container since the 2nd one would always be idle regardless of if there were multiple streams going on at once?

Thanks!

It should work with any container where the app supports gpu stuff. All the plug-in does is make the gpu and its drivers available inside the container.

20 minutes ago, ezhik said:

What would the upgrade path look like?

Let's say we've setup 6.6.6 and we want to upgrade to 6.7.0 now, what do we have to do when the OS upgrades to 6.7.0 ?

@linuxserver.io ^

Sometime after 6.7.0 is released, an Nvidia version of it will be compiled by lsio and will be available in the addon. As long as you select it inside the addon, it will update to the Nvidia version of 6.7.0

Edited by aptalca
1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Remove the device mapping in the container settings and Plex won't see the igpu

I just did a total clean pull-install and set everything up from scratch!

(Also set the GPU as primary - Plex forum states that the primary display will be selected from Plex for HW transcoding)

image.thumb.png.f94dd5a2b8fc638c28b3664dea9d055a.png

And no matter what I do it does hw but I can not see any streams on the GPU?

image.png.f8ba0d5010e0438977f8b74333bc10d5.pngimage.png.fa383181623bf2a320f7c59e6c802aee.png

This is driving me nuts.... I have been trying so many different things i'm out of ideas? 

UPDATE: I have noticed that after changing primary display (and moving the consol cable to the new primary)

the screen goes black after booting UnRAID? why wouldnt it just stay like normal blinking root?

does the new UnRAID build take ownership of the GPU after boot?

I also tried disabling the "PCIe ACS override" since I had this turned on in order to split my HW up into groups for the VM's didnt change a thing... 

Edited by casperse
1 hour ago, Kiyometa said:

Thanks!

My understanding as well, only a single GPU.  As for encoding/decoding, someone else mentioned in here that you can modify Plex to get encode/decode and that worked for me.  I had to switch to beta branch to get 1.15.  Then modify the "Plex Transcode" script to force nvidia hwenc.  Then encoding and decoding worked.

• trurl locked this topic