[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

1 hour ago, casperse said:

I just did a total clean pull-install and set everything up from scratch!

(Also set the GPU as primary - Plex forum states that the primary display will be selected from Plex for HW transcoding)

image.thumb.png.f94dd5a2b8fc638c28b3664dea9d055a.png

And no matter what I do it does hw but I can not see any streams on the GPU?

image.png.f8ba0d5010e0438977f8b74333bc10d5.pngimage.png.fa383181623bf2a320f7c59e6c802aee.png

This is driving me nuts.... I have been trying so many different things i'm out of ideas? 

UPDATE: I have noticed that after changing primary display (and moving the console cable to the new primary)

the screen goes black after booting UnRAID? why wouldn't it just stay like normal blinking root?

does the new UnRAID build take ownership of the GPU after boot?

I also tried disabling the "PCIe ACS override" since I had this turned on in order to split my HW up into groups for the VM's didn't change a thing... 

Does any of the developers of this great achievement have any ideas as to how this could/can work on a board with a IGPU?

Some says that the P2000 doesn’t like to run headless - without a monitor attached so I also tried a DisplayPort dummy plug to try and fake out the adapter.

But sofar it just keep utilizing the IGPU, no matter what I do?

Please does anyone here have it working on a board with a IGPU? then please share your configuration ;-)

thanks

3 hours ago, casperse said:

Does any of the developers of this great achievement have any ideas as to how this could/can work on a board with a IGPU?

Some says that the P2000 doesn’t like to run headless - without a monitor attached so I also tried a DisplayPort dummy plug to try and fake out the adapter.

But sofar it just keep utilizing the IGPU, no matter what I do?

Please does anyone here have it working on a board with a IGPU? then please share your configuration ;-)

thanks

Did you remove the device mapping? Also make sure it is not in privileged mode. Both of those will let plex see the igpu. Without them, plex won't even know the igpu is there

3 hours ago, Kiyometa said:

@Pducharme

Now that definitely confuses me, I have the Lifetime Plex Pass. So, what is the "latest" plex pass version?

Edit: And realizing this got a little off topic now, sorry mods.

you can check on plex downloads page on their website and toggle between regular and plexpass

5 hours ago, ezhik said:

What would the upgrade path look like?

Let's say we've setup 6.6.6 and we want to upgrade to 6.7.0 now, what do we have to do when the OS upgrades to 6.7.0 ?

@linuxserver.io ^

Pull the next Unraid Nvidia version.  Recommend you take a look at the plugin, it really is very easy.

Sometimes if there is a change in Unraid that can't be tackled just by replacing the bz files I'll modify the plugin to prevent such an upgrade to force people to go through LT and back to a stock install, which will allow you then to subsequently download the same version from Unraid Nvidia.

TL:DR Don't worry, if there's a problem, I'll handle it to stop you buggering anything up.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Did you remove the device mapping? Also make sure it is not in privileged mode. Both of those will let plex see the igpu. Without them, plex won't even know the igpu is there

Thanks @aptalcaThat was something I hadn't tried during my last 5 hours of troubleshooting :-) 

thanks for your input! - Disabled privileged input didn't realize that this would make a difference

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make a difference...

This is my configuration - made from scratch no copy so there shouldn't be any device mapping to the old IGPU

image.thumb.png.4e280892d85fb5cf567478efb3b24e32.png

What about the console screen going blank after booting is this normal? - Im afraid some other thing is taking ownership of the GPU?

8 minutes ago, casperse said:

Thanks @aptalcaThat was something I hadn't tried during my last 5 hours of troubleshooting 🙂

thanks for your input! - Disabled privileged input didn't realize that this would make a difference

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make a difference...

This is my configuration - made from scratch no copy so there shouldn't be any device mapping to the old IGPU

image.thumb.png.4e280892d85fb5cf567478efb3b24e32.png

What about the console screen going blank after booting is this normal? - Im afraid some other thing is taking ownership of the GPU?

If you want to be sure it's not using the iGPU, remove the modprobe i915 from your go file. But with priviliged off and no /dev/dri passed through, it's using your gpu. 

Even though nvidia-smi doesn't show anything doesn't mean it's not working. Might be a bug with it and your card. Which card do you have? 

Edited by saarg
6 minutes ago, saarg said:

If you want to be sure it's not using the iGPU, remove the modprobe i915 from your go file. But with priviliged off and no /dev/dri passed through, it's using your gpu. 

Even though nvidia-smi doesn't show anything doesn't mean it's not working. Might be a bug with it and your card. Which card do you have? 

I know the card works because it actually did work for a whole glorious hour yesterday at 18:50 I got 10 streams with like only 9-10% load

it's a Quadro P2000 everyone wrote that this was the one to get...

image.png.13c001a9bb551f2dc929d34cce132db9.png

and then after a reboot it just stopped working today?

Since then I have tried to think what could have changed? (The privileged setting was one thing!)

Okay so changing the Go file to: 

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
#modprobe i915
#chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
#chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Again thanks for your help!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, saarg said:

Okay removed the modprobe it and did at reboot and now I have my console screen back on the primary P2000 card. 😊

I then started to play files and many files and I still couldn't see any stream on the "watch nvidia-smi" output console

But then I noticed that the load went up, and so is the memory so could it just be an error on the output screen?

image.png.f7a45226d2aa7dd201ca79496671368a.png

12 minutes ago, casperse said:

Okay removed the modprobe it and did at reboot and now I have my console screen back on the primary P2000 card. 😊

I then started to play files and many files and I still couldn't see any stream on the "watch nvidia-smi" output console

But then I noticed that the load went up, and so is the memory so could it just be an error on the output screen?

image.png.f7a45226d2aa7dd201ca79496671368a.png

Yes, probably.  I see the same with my GTX 1060.  When there is usage, the processes are not listed, but when not in use, it says something like there is no process using the card.

2 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

Yes, probably.  I see the same with my GTX 1060.  When there is usage, the processes are not listed, but when not in use, it says something like there is no process using the card.

Ok that could indicate that there is another problem, I just closed my firefox running 6 streams and they all continued to run on Plex?

I had to reboot them to kill the streams, even tautulli and the Plex dasboard couldnt kill them! only a reboot

3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Pull the next Unraid Nvidia version.  Recommend you take a look at the plugin, it really is very easy.

Sometimes if there is a change in Unraid that can't be tackled just by replacing the bz files I'll modify the plugin to prevent such an upgrade to force people to go through LT and back to a stock install, which will allow you then to subsequently download the same version from Unraid Nvidia.

TL:DR Don't worry, if there's a problem, I'll handle it to stop you buggering anything up.

That's what I was looking for.

Thanks.

I have a Supermicro X8SIL-F mobo with PCIE 2.0 (x8) and Intel® Xeon® CPU X3470 @ 2.93GHz, would installing a GeForce GT 730 improve transcoding speed and permit more streams? I have no 4k content, just Blu-Rays iso files.

Look forward to adding this plug-in if adding GT730 is advantageous.

Thank you.

Edited by socbuter
4 minutes ago, socbuter said:

I have a Supermicro X8SIL-F mobo with PCIE 2.0 (x8) and Intel® Xeon® CPU X3470 @ 2.93GHz, would installing a GeForce GT 730 improve transcoding speed and permit more streams? I have no 4k content, just Blu-Rays iso files.

Look forward to adding this plug-in if adding GT730 is advantageous.

Thank you.

Only if you actually transcode things rather than directly stream.   And only if the GT 730 has decoding/encoding capabilities and there is google to look at the specs of the device.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Edited by CHBMB
9 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Only if you actually transcode things rather than directly stream.   And only if the GT 730 has decoding/encoding capabilities and there is google to look at the specs of the device.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Any card 600+ supports most basic decoding:  (If I read the charts properly.)

MPEG-1

MPEG-2

VC-1

H.264 (AVCHD)

You need 1030+ to get in to H.265

And the Encode of H.264 (AVCHD) YUV 4:2:0 supported by almost all cards.

Hi All 

Well this has made my day finding this and is AMAZING ! however i have two questions that i hope some one more knowledgeable than me can answer.

I currently use Binhex-Plexpass (i have plex premium) will this work or will i need to change to the official docker? If i do have to change can i take my library "status" with me? i.e what i have and have not watched etc?

what GPU should i purchase? I would like to be in a position to transcode 6 X 1080p streams and possibly 1 4k stream with 3 or 4 other 1080p streams going. the P2000 Quadro is a bit expensive  so how many streams would say a quadro P400 handle? is there a minimum spec i need for more than 2 streams? I understand its a quadro card i need but i dont want to drop £300-400 on a P2000 if i really dont "need" it. I have no idea what Quadro is what as this will be my first even toe into the Quadro world. 

Thanks in advance to whoever helps out on this one 

9 minutes ago, Randall8686 said:

so how many streams would say a quadro P400 handle?

According to the chart linked by CHBMB a few post above yours, the P400 is limited to 2 streams.  You need to move up to the P2000 to get "unrestricted" streams.

Edited by Hoopster
Is there a way to run the nvidia drivers with the unRAID DVB Edition drivers?  both seem to replace the image so its like only 1 or the other could be used..
This is mentioned in the readme at the beginning of this topic.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• trurl locked this topic