[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

8 hours ago, JasonM said:

Thanks again. This gave me a few things to try, but unfortunately, still no dice. The issues are clearly with the Rocket 750 drivers and exist in vanilla unRAID, so I may need to move this to a more appropriate forum. For the sake of discussion, here's where I am:

I nuked the USB again and installed RC3 with the USB Creator. It hung for a very long time while booting, so I dusted off a display, keyboard and mouse to see what was going on. The messages it hags on are all related to the 750. Once boot completes, it also take forever for emhttp to start. Between the two hangups, we're talking 5+ minutes to boot. The drives attached to the 750 did not show up. I upgraded in the unRAID web UI from RC3 to RC4 with the same result.

I nuked the USB again, installed 6.6.6 via the USB Creator, booted normally with all drives recognized. Upgraded directly to RC4 from the web UI, and got the same result as above.

None of these were the NVIDIA builds, and none of them had any config files carried over. They were all clean. So it seems the 750 is just not going to cooperate with 6.7 at the moment.

I'm open to any suggestions y'all may have. If 6.7 goes GM and breaks 750 support, I'm going to be SOL.

From a quick googling it seems it's using a Marvell controller. That is the issue. Marvel controllers have been an issue for a long time. Tuning off vt-d might help, but then you got no device pass through available. 

Has anyone tried the NVDEC script to enable HW decoding? Does the transcoder stay patched even after we update the container? Or do we have to run it each time the docker gets updated?

#!/bin/sh
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2 -hwaccel nvdec "$@"

Apparently, after you install NVIDIA driver for Unaid, we cannot pass iGPU to a docker anymore. i was thinking of using my NVIDIA GPU for Plex and iGPU for Handbrake but i cannot pass the iGPU though. After reinstall stock 6.6.6, iGPU passthough is now working again. Is there away to use iGPU while using this plugin? maybe i was missing something 

5 hours ago, endiz said:

Has anyone tried the NVDEC script to enable HW decoding? Does the transcoder stay patched even after we update the container? Or do we have to run it each time the docker gets updated?

#!/bin/sh

This script works fine and yes you have to do this every time you update the container.

7 hours ago, son12710 said:

Apparently, after you install NVIDIA driver for Unaid, we cannot pass iGPU to a docker anymore. i was thinking of using my NVIDIA GPU for Plex and iGPU for Handbrake but i cannot pass the iGPU though. After reinstall stock 6.6.6, iGPU passthough is now working again. Is there away to use iGPU while using this plugin? maybe i was missing something 

It should not limit your igpu. What is the error you are seeing? 

1 hour ago, saarg said:

It should not limit your igpu. What is the error you are seeing? 

Can confirm, it doesn't remove the ability to pass through the iGPU. I have both my Nvidia card and iGPU passed to my Emby container. (There is a screenshot I posted further back in this thread)

1 hour ago, j0nnymoe said:

Can confirm, it doesn't remove the ability to pass through the iGPU. I have both my Nvidia card and iGPU passed to my Emby container. (There is a screenshot I posted further back in this thread)

I am looking into emby and I found two Unraid containers:

EmbyServerBeta

EmbyServer

Which one are you and most people using? and does they both work with the Unraid nvidia setup?

Is this just like running the latest in Plex as a plex pass subscriber = EmbyServerBeta?

2 hours ago, casperse said:

I am looking into emby and I found two Unraid containers:

EmbyServerBeta

EmbyServer

Which one are you and most people using? and does they both work with the Unraid nvidia setup?

Is this just like running the latest in Plex as a plex pass subscriber = EmbyServerBeta?

Just using normal EmbyServer which is on v4. Beta just gets you some newer features earlier but with the possibility of breakage. I've never used plex let along plexpass so I can't compare.

I am hoping some one can help me, I have installed a GTX1060 to do my transcoding, i followed the space invader one instructions to the letter and i think its sort of working. However my CPU is still going ballistic and two 4k streams it starts suffering. I am getting confirmation in the Nvidia-smi that its doing somthing but its certainly not taking the load of the CPU here are some screen grabs i hope some one can help. (plex has Use hardware acceleration when available turned on) 

Edit: i am using the binhex-plespass docker if this makes any difference 

terminal.JPG.300deabb963a7bd59cb7f0649bdf65d8.JPGglances.JPG.4ccb945407f61d803cce6382b8f17a41.JPGunraid.JPG.2917231ce42ea47e1c0209f999c29447.JPG

image.png.6975af67264cebec473b3f06d278f316.png

Edited by Randall8686
1 hour ago, Randall8686 said:

I am hoping some one can help me, I have installed a GTX1060 to do my transcoding, i followed the space invader one instructions to the letter and i think its sort of working. However my CPU is still going ballistic and two 4k streams it starts suffering. I am getting confirmation in the Nvidia-smi that its doing somthing but its certainly not taking the load of the CPU here are some screen grabs i hope some one can help. (plex has Use hardware acceleration when available turned on) 

Edit: i am using the binhex-plespass docker if this makes any difference 

terminal.JPG.300deabb963a7bd59cb7f0649bdf65d8.JPGglances.JPG.4ccb945407f61d803cce6382b8f17a41.JPGunraid.JPG.2917231ce42ea47e1c0209f999c29447.JPG

image.png.6975af67264cebec473b3f06d278f316.png

Plex only does hardware encode with Nvidia, not decode. Your cpu is maxing out trying to software decode the 4k stream. Nothing we can do until Plex adds ability to hardware decode.

Emby does both encode and decode via hardware with Nvidia.

3 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Plex only does hardware encode with Nvidia, not decode. Your cpu is maxing out trying to software decode the 4k stream. Nothing we can do until Plex adds ability to hardware decode.

Well that just put out my fire lol! i grabbed the 1060 to stop this high CPU load lol. so effectively adding the card has done pretty much zero for me :( do we have a time frame of if/when plex are going to add hardware decode? feel i just dropped a load of cash on a total waste of money lol. I have too many plex users to change to another format + some of their smart TV's are unlikely to support EMBY tbh. what a shame i wish i had worked this out before hand 

58 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I was under the impression that the patch for Plex mentioned earlier in this thread enabled hardware decoding (at least until it's officially turned on).  Is that not the case?

This comment

5 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

I was under the impression that the patch for Plex mentioned earlier in this thread enabled hardware decoding (at least until it's officially turned on).  Is that not the case?

This comment

Interesting ! i really hope so as i have a GPU sitting on 2-3% watching a 4k film and my CPU on 100% lol!! was hoping to free up the cpu so that it can be used for other task again. 

24 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

This comment

Yes it does, but its a workaround until plex adds it officially.  It just force the decoding switch to the Transcoder.  I think that if the docker is updated, you have to reapply it after. 

7 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

Yes it does, but its a workaround until plex adds it officially.  It just force the decoding switch to the Transcoder.  I think that if the docker is updated, you have to reapply it after. 

Thanks for confirming.  Can't check myself as I don't have a card (on order).

Could tidy up a lot for me.  I have quite a few duplicates, as my Nvidia TV Shield can stream up to 4K direct, but everything else throws the CPU in the red.

2 hours ago, Randall8686 said:

Well that just put out my fire lol! i grabbed the 1060 to stop this high CPU load lol. so effectively adding the card has done pretty much zero for me :( do we have a time frame of if/when plex are going to add hardware decode? feel i just dropped a load of cash on a total waste of money lol. I have too many plex users to change to another format + some of their smart TV's are unlikely to support EMBY tbh. what a shame i wish i had worked this out before hand 

Turn that frown upside down! If you want to force the decode through NVDEC, do the following:

1. Launch into the plex container shell.

2. Rename "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder" >  "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder2"

3. Create a new file called "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder" and put this in the contents:

#!/bin/sh

4. chmod +x "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder"

Done! Your transcodes should be encoded and decoded by nvidia. Plex doesn't reflect it because its a workaround, but check out your CPU utilization, should be negligible.

Unfortunately, you will have to run this everytime the plex docker gets updated until plex adds support for NVDEC officially.

Edited by endiz
16 minutes ago, endiz said:

Turn that frown upside down! If you want to force the decode through NVDEC, run the following script within the plex container shell:

I have tried this but now plex does not work at all :( "Conversion failed. The transcoder exited due to an error." is the error i get in plex. i have the binhex-plexpass" docker if this make any difference? 

2 minutes ago, Randall8686 said:

I have tried this but now plex does not work at all :( "Conversion failed. The transcoder exited due to an error." is the error i get in plex. i have the binhex-plexpass" docker if this make any difference? 

Follow my steps exactly, i just updated them

Edited by endiz

OK i have it working (big thanks to PDUCharme for helping me out and putting up with my stupidity) and endiz above. However i have one slight issue. when i watch a stream it uses the gpu now. however once i finish it does not close the transcoder down so now my plex is playing nothing yet this is what i get in nidvia-smi. its uses all the Vram and i cannot play anything. if i restart the container it works but i end up here again. image.png.43b65320098aae1f84adaa1d317fde73.png

Amazing work!! truly!! 

i just set this up a few days ago. it is working as expected and my CPU is just idling away..  i have added a Asus strix 1070ti dedicated gpu just for transcoding tasks. everything is working great however im curious to know how the GPU decides to use the amount of processing, power, and memory allocation. i also noticed that my card temp is rising to 53c when i have two streams running. yet the fans have not kicked in yet. is there way to adjust these settings? 

nvidiatranscoding.thumb.JPG.2dc09063c9ee0516447aa88a9b6bd19f.JPG

nvidiatranscoding3.thumb.JPG.c3c07be55bbe8f9037ba72d81c95b84c.JPG

nvidiatranscoding2.thumb.JPG.01fa7365c7006e609c05e84969890524.JPG

Edited by MarkMV
  • trurl locked this topic