[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

8 minutes ago, saarg said:

You run it on unraid, not the container. 

IM Stupid! - But to my defence running the command in the docker command for plex it actually starts the UI like this:

image.png.5105f32955d08d6392ded0fc7d1160d1.png

Running the same command in the Emby Docker prompt gave the above error

And running the command in UNRAID promt everything is working

image.png.fdc0c834fa953a87e1ddd6189db29e0a.png

Thanks!

This is what I have in my "Plex Transcoder" file in /appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

#!/bin/sh
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2 -hwaccel nvdec "$@"

and in my nvidia_dec.sh

#!/bin/sh
mv /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2
cp /config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plex\ Transcoder /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/
chmod +x Plex\ Transcoder
chmod +x Plex\ Transcoder2

I don't know how to run the script through unraid front end, but I ran it when I got in the container... still isn't working.

Am I missing something? I am running Version 1.15.0.659

Edited by mestep

Okay. I've got all of this installed and it works "mostly?". When transcoding a 4K movie using emby, the emby docker container completely spikes one CPU. In nvidia-smi, I can see the card being utilitized, but to a very low degree (usually less than 7%). The video stops every 5 to 7 seconds and resumes about a second later.

Also in my unraid system log I get two messages repeated every 2 seconds:

kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]

kernel: caller _nv001126rm+0xe3/0x1d0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

Now I did a little digging on these messages and mostly articles indicate that these are harmless messages. One article indicated I needed to update the bios on my GTX 1050. I've never flashed a bios on a video card. So I'm a little reluctant to do this.

What am I doing wrong? Should I move the 1050 card to a different slot? I have another x16 slot to try. Should I flash the bios on the 1050?

Hi

When I try to install the plugin I just get a server error message:

plugin: downloading: https://raw.github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-Nvidia-Plugin/master/archive/Unraid-Nvidia-2019.02.09.txz ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: wget: https://raw.github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-Nvidia-Plugin/master/archive/Unraid-Nvidia-2019.02.09.txz download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

If I manually try to go to the url for the .txz file, I just get a 503 error in my browser:

Error 503 Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-bma1627-BMA 1550613525 3886046937

Anyone else get the same?

Just now, Jezper said:

Hi

When I try to install the plugin I just get a server error message:

plugin: downloading: https://raw.github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-Nvidia-Plugin/master/archive/Unraid-Nvidia-2019.02.09.txz ... failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)
plugin: wget: https://raw.github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-Nvidia-Plugin/master/archive/Unraid-Nvidia-2019.02.09.txz download failure (Invalid URL / Server error response)

If I manually try to go to the url for the .txz file, I just get a 503 error in my browser:

Error 503 Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-bma1627-BMA 1550613525 3886046937

Anyone else get the same?

Github issue, Just have to wait unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Big Dave Diode said:

Okay. I've got all of this installed and it works "mostly?". When transcoding a 4K movie using emby, the emby docker container completely spikes one CPU. In nvidia-smi, I can see the card being utilitized, but to a very low degree (usually less than 7%). The video stops every 5 to 7 seconds and resumes about a second later.

Also in my unraid system log I get two messages repeated every 2 seconds:

kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]

kernel: caller _nv001126rm+0xe3/0x1d0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

Now I did a little digging on these messages and mostly articles indicate that these are harmless messages. One article indicated I needed to update the bios on my GTX 1050. I've never flashed a bios on a video card. So I'm a little reluctant to do this.

What am I doing wrong? Should I move the 1050 card to a different slot? I have another x16 slot to try. Should I flash the bios on the 1050?

I'm having the same issue with my P2000 and the stuttering problem is with every file I play.

Curious on how to fix also?

4 hours ago, mestep said:

This is what I have in my "Plex Transcoder" file in /appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

#!/bin/sh
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2 -hwaccel nvdec "$@"

and in my nvidia_dec.sh

#!/bin/sh
mv /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Transcoder2
cp /config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plex\ Transcoder /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/
chmod +x Plex\ Transcoder
chmod +x Plex\ Transcoder2

I don't know how to run the script through unraid front end, but I ran it when I got in the container... still isn't working.

Am I missing something? I am running Version 1.15.0.659

try this in the container:

chmod +x /config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plex\ Transcoder

11 hours ago, casperse said:

IM Stupid! - But to my defence running the command in the docker command for plex it actually starts the UI like this:

image.png.5105f32955d08d6392ded0fc7d1160d1.png

Running the same command in the Emby Docker prompt gave the above error

And running the command in UNRAID promt everything is working

image.png.fdc0c834fa953a87e1ddd6189db29e0a.png

Thanks!

Are you using ffmpeg with NVENC? If you are, would you mind letting me know how you set it up?

2 minutes ago, FieldGenEJ said:

Are you using ffmpeg with NVENC? If you are, would you mind letting me know how you set it up?

Both emby and plex uses ffmpeg. So no setting up needed. 

If you want to run ffmpeg standalone, you need to compile/download a version with nvenc/nvdec enabled. 

12 hours ago, saarg said:

It's mentioned in the start of this threaf that not all cards are supported by nvidia-smi, which is also stated in your screenshot. None of my 700-series card are supported. 

Emby says it's using nvenc/nvdec, so it's working. 

Ah ok, I thought it was something like that :)

Thanks for confirming and clarifying!

The hw transcoding is working for all the formats except for HEVC 10 bit HDR (Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main 10 HDR) 89.9 Mbs)

Codec HEVC

Bit Depth 10

Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0

Color Primaries bt2020

Color Range tv

Color Space bt2020nc

Color Trc smpte2084

Frame Rate 23.976 fps

Height 2160

Level 5.1

Profile main 10

Ref Frames 1

This is also the only thing that is too slow to do in software transcoding with my i7-2700K, so I bought a gtx 1050 ti to do it in HW instead, to be able to play these movies over the internet on a remote location. According to the Video encode and decode support matrix:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

it looks like it should work. Is enyone else getting this to function in plex?

If not, and this is not supported or functional in plex, what kind of hardware do I need to be able to do this in software transcoding?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, endiz said:

try this in the container:

chmod +x /config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plex\ Transcoder

This is why I am not a programmer. I think I have it right in my head but I was running that script from the library folder, so I was chmodding a file that was in the wrong location. I feel pretty dumb, lol.

Anyway, is there a way to be able to run the nvidia_dec.sh from the user scripts plugin that will interface with the Plex docker?

Edited by mestep
5 hours ago, mestep said:

This is why I am not a programmer. I think I have it right in my head but I was running that script from the library folder, so I was chmodding a file that was in the wrong location. I feel pretty dumb, lol.

Anyway, is there a way to be able to run the nvidia_dec.sh from the user scripts plugin that will interface with the Plex docker?

try this:

docker exec plex ./config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/nvidia_dec.sh

I would make a backup of the original plex transcoder binary just in case you overwrite it by accident, that way you don't have to rebuild your docker image.

Forgive me if this has been touched on before, but have any of you had difficulty playing older .AVI files via HW transcoding. I have 1050 ti but when trying to play an older .avi, it spins forever and never plays.  For comparison, once i remove the HW transcoding variables, it plays just fine via software. 

Is this a known issue? Is it possible to have it coded so it falls back to software if HW transocding is not suported? 

Edited by pimogo

Hello, this plugin is awesome, thank you for your hard work!

I am experiencing an issue when rebooting a vm with a passed through GPU. Here is the setup:

IGPU -> Unraid Console

Titan XP -> VM

1050 -> Emby Docker.

Everything is working as it should, I can encode and use the VM at the same time, but when the VM reboots Unraid completely freezes up. The webgui stops responding, nothing will launch in the console (like htop). I have to powercycle the server to get things going again.

Is anybody else experiencing issues like this? I am using the latest version (rc4)

Out of curiosity, today I had 2 transcoded streams going, but none of Tautulli, Plex, nor nvidia-smi showed that hardware acceleration was being used. Does this indication go away if the transcoder has completely transcoded the file and the stream is playing off the completed transcode? Transcoder progress showed 100% for both of these streams.

hw_transcode.PNG

6 minutes ago, sturmstar said:

Hi Guys!

I just stumpled upon this amazing github-patch

However - this would be really amazing - so we wouldn't need a Quadro P2000 or similar to get unlimited streams!

best regards and thanks

stefan

Read the part in BIG red letters in the first posts of this thread. Remove your post, or a mod will. 

2 hours ago, captainnapalm said:

Out of curiosity, today I had 2 transcoded streams going, but none of Tautulli, Plex, nor nvidia-smi showed that hardware acceleration was being used. Does this indication go away if the transcoder has completely transcoded the file and the stream is playing off the completed transcode? Transcoder progress showed 100% for both of these streams.

hw_transcode.PNG

From your screenshot it doesn't look like Plex is using hardware transcoding. 

• trurl locked this topic