[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

32 minutes ago, fr05ty said:

hey all i just updated from rc5 to rc8

So did you update Unraid to rc8, or did you update the "plugin" to rc8? The plugin is actually a custom build of Unraid, so if you install a new version of Unraid, you have effectively removed the "plugin".

• Like 1

I went into the nvidia plugin and selected the rc8 waited for it to finish installing, rebooted and this is where I was at, but I think i have solved it accidentally i went in to my network setting tried to change the dns server setting and killed the connection swapped the ethernet plug from port 1 to port 2 on the m/b (which i had already tried and I couldn't connect to the server ip) got into the gui tried the nvidia plugin and then started the dockers and everything is running again, i have changed the dns back to what it was originally and now have both ports working again

Hello Everyone. So I have been reading alot of these posts and have tried different things and have watched spaceinvaders video about getting my Nvidia P2000 to transcode my plex movies. I have been out of luck in this department. I am hoping someone could please help me through this. I would hate to let this card go to waste because I am dumb.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 4.54.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 4.44.25 PM.png

Hey guys,

I need some pleaseeee! So I jumped on a Dell sale for a p2000 about a month ago and just didn't have a chance to set it up with unraid although I did install it into my server.

Well I followed the instructions and I can't get the plugin to recognize it. "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.   "

I then typed lspci -v, and it wasn't even listed, so unraid doesn't see the card? I went into the BIOS on my relatively new motherboard that I just bought, and it was already set to use the PCIE as the main graphics card and multimonitor was set to disabled (I currently have an i8400 and was using the igpu to transcode before. Even doing this, still the same result...

The fan on the card itself is spinning so I'm assuming that means the card is getting power? Could it be something wrong with my motherboard when both PCI slots are being used? (I'm using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT). I'm not sure what all this means. I would really appreciate some help guys. I'm running an ASRock H370M Pro4 board if that helps with the most recent BIOS

5 hours ago, acozad1 said:

Is it worth deleting the docker and reinstalling everything to get the card added to the docker? thanks again to all for the help.

Do you have plex pass and did you follow the first posts to set up plex for hardware transcoding?

I installed the update to rc8 and than I installed the Unraid rc8 nvidia driver for rc8 
You know you can just download RC8 straight from the Nvidia plugin, no need to update and restart twice.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Is not kicking into gear.  Hahahaha
From what you've posted already, everything is working other than Plex is not using the GPU. Recheck your Plex settings and make sure the media you're trying to play is actually something your GPU can transcode.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

You know you can just download RC8 straight from the Nvidia plugin, no need to update and restart twice.

17 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

I did restart the system. But I will try and restart the system again when I get home. I updated Unraid to rc8 restarted and than installed the plugin and restarted again.

The point he was making was there is no need to update Unraid separately. This "plugin" itself is actually a custom build of Unraid. Simply installing the rc8 version of this "plugin" IS installing Unraid rc8, but customized with the necessary drivers.

So here are my PCI system list. It is showing the igpu and my nvidia p2000. I have looked in my bios and there is no where were i can disable it, so i am hoping there is a way in unraid to disable this to have my p2000 take over. thanks everyone.

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.28.56 PM.png

18 hours ago, maxse said:

Hey guys,

I need some pleaseeee! So I jumped on a Dell sale for a p2000 about a month ago and just didn't have a chance to set it up with unraid although I did install it into my server.

Well I followed the instructions and I can't get the plugin to recognize it. "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.   "

I then typed lspci -v, and it wasn't even listed, so unraid doesn't see the card? I went into the BIOS on my relatively new motherboard that I just bought, and it was already set to use the PCIE as the main graphics card and multimonitor was set to disabled (I currently have an i8400 and was using the igpu to transcode before. Even doing this, still the same result...

The fan on the card itself is spinning so I'm assuming that means the card is getting power? Could it be something wrong with my motherboard when both PCI slots are being used? (I'm using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT). I'm not sure what all this means. I would really appreciate some help guys. I'm running an ASRock H370M Pro4 board if that helps with the most recent BIOS

Can anyone help me with this please? I've tried multiple setting in the BIOS, and the card is still not being seen. i'm not sure if it's an unraid issue? I remember I had to modify the go file to get transcoding working with the igpu not sure if this could affect it? i would reall appreciate some help with this guys, please

1 hour ago, maxse said:

Can anyone help me with this please? I've tried multiple setting in the BIOS, and the card is still not being seen. i'm not sure if it's an unraid issue? I remember I had to modify the go file to get transcoding working with the igpu not sure if this could affect it? i would reall appreciate some help with this guys, please

We just package the drivers and modify the docker component to utilise them.  I can't offer a reason why your card isn't being seen.  Sounds more like a hardware issue to me.

2 hours ago, acozad1 said:

So here are my PCI system list. It is showing the igpu and my nvidia p2000. I have looked in my bios and there is no where were i can disable it, so i am hoping there is a way in unraid to disable this to have my p2000 take over. thanks everyone.

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.28.56 PM.png

Pretty sure in Emby you can select which GPU to use, is there not a similar setting in Plex?

20 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

We just package the drivers and modify the docker component to utilise them.  I can't offer a reason why your card isn't being seen.  Sounds more like a hardware issue to me.

Thank you. I wasn’t sure why I kept getting the Nvidia smi error. Didn’t know if it wasn’t being seen by the plugin?

i just checked online for my mono and it says this: Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (single at x16, dual at x16/x4),

Im using an LSI controller in one of the x16 slots. Does this mean that the other x16 slot is only going to be at X4? I get so confused by this. Not sure if that’s the issue?

9 minutes ago, maxse said:

Thank you. I wasn’t sure why I kept getting the Nvidia smi error. Didn’t know if it wasn’t being seen by the plugin?

i just checked online for my mono and it says this: Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (single at x16, dual at x16/x4),

Im using an LSI controller in one of the x16 slots. Does this mean that the other x16 slot is only going to be at X4? I get so confused by this. Not sure if that’s the issue?

Yes it will only be at x4 and you'll get an nvidia-smi error because it can't find a card to communicate with.....

So in Plex there is no option to choose which gpu to pick. In plex its just that box you check and thats it to my knowledge. But I am a dumb dumb. So it seems to be working now. But my CPU seems to be still loading up when there is transcoding going on. From 4k to 1080p for my guests who only have a 1080p TV. The watch nvidia-smi shows my GPU working and its showing 3% to 6% but again the CPU is loading up like crazy. Alot of red lines in the dashboard which freaks me out.

Edited by acozad1
33 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

So in Plex there is no option to choose which gpu to pick. In plex its just that box you check and thats it to my knowledge. But I am a dumb dumb. So it seems to be working now. But my CPU seems to be still loading up when there is transcoding going on. From 4k to 1080p for my guests who only have a 1080p TV. The watch nvidia-smi shows my GPU working and its showing 3% to 6% but again the CPU is loading up like crazy. Alot of red lines in the dashboard which freaks me out.

Have you bothered reading some of this thread or researching what plex is doing?

Plex is only using the GPU for encoding. It still needs to decode the video using the cpu. It also have to use the cpu for the audio decoding and encoding, so it will still use alot of cpu.

• trurl locked this topic