[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

I am using the plexinc docker and had the latest scipt, it ran for a week with no problem, then it crashed so hard in the middle of a stream it caused plex to fail and unraid to not even list my p2000 in the nvidia plugin page, even a power cycle didn't help. I had to do an upgrade to the latest unraid build to get it back, i was on the 6.7 build and now have 6.7.1 rc1 installed.

i'm running a x99 and a xeon 14c28t 2.5ghz, 1 vm that is vnc, no card attached to it

OK everyone, the Plex HW Decode script seems to be causing more issues than the Unraid Nvidia build as far as I can tell.

From this point on, to reduce the unnecessary noise and confusion on this thread, I'm going to request whoever is looking after, documenting or willing to support the Plex HW Decode scripts spins off their own thread.

We will only be answering any support questions on people not using the script.  If your post is regarding Plex and you do not EXPLICITLY state that you are not using the Plex HW Decode script then it will be ignored.

I know some of you may think this is unreasonable but it's creating a lot of additional work/time commitments for something I never intended to support and something I don't use (Not being a Plex user)

May I suggest respectfully, that one of you steps forward to create a thread, document it, and support it in it's own support place.  I think we need to decouple issues with the work we've done versus issues with a currently unsupported script. I believe @Xaero may be the best person for this job, but do not let that stop any of you who are willing to step up to the plate.

Thanks.

Edited by CHBMB
11 hours ago, CHBMB said:

OK everyone, the Plex HW Decode script seems to be causing more issues than the Unraid Nvidia build as far as I can tell.

From this point on, to reduce the unnecessary noise and confusion on this thread, I'm going to request whoever is looking after, documenting or willing to support the Plex HW Decode scripts spins off their own thread.

We will only be answering any support questions on people not using the script.  If your post is regarding Plex and you do not EXPLICITLY state that you are not using the Plex HW Decode script then it will be ignored.

I know some of you may think this is unreasonable but it's creating a lot of additional work/time commitments for something I never intended to support and something I don't use (Not being a Plex user)

May I suggest respectfully, that one of you steps forward to create a thread, document it, and support it in it's own support place.  I think we need to decouple issues with the work we've done versus issues with a currently unsupported script. I believe @Xaero may be the best person for this job, but do not let that stop any of you who are willing to step up to the plate.

Thanks.

The decode script should become unnecessary here in the next couple of months. The Plex team has mentioned on their forum that they are working on adding the decode function.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, ramblinreck47 said:

The decode script should become unnecessary here in the next couple of months. The Plex team has mentioned on their forum that they are working on adding the decode function.

That may well be the case, but the matter stands. 

18 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Thanks.

I've mentioned, at the top of my script to post any issues using it on the gist itself, rather than reporting them to Plex, Unraid, LSIO, or Reverend (the guy who's wrapper my script downloads.) So that I can filter issues that are caused by error on my part, or the end user's part.  My apologies since this is apparently insufficient.

I'll go ahead and make a thread, though my ability to provide support will be limited as I am currently without a PC until its unpacked.

Edited by Xaero

I've moved my script from gist to a dedicated github repository. I was trying to avoid this as it shouldn't be necessary for this script to exist in the near future, and it's a single source file with a pretty basic function. I've also created a dedicated thread on the forum for this script and any issues that result from using it. @CHBMB, please feel free to point people to either this repository or this forum thread for issues you believe to be caused by the wrapper script. 

Anybody using the wrapper script originally posted to Reddit, the Plex forums, or earlier in this thread, be advised that you *should* move to the newer script written by Revr3nd and facilitated by my User Script. The nvidia decoder doesn't like certain formats, and those aren't filtered by earlier versions of the script. If you use those formats, and the decode script without filtering - you WILL have problems. This is likely the reason that Plex has been so reluctant to enable hardware decoding on Linux for nvidia. Emby is likely already filtering what content is transcoded by the GPU out of the box, though I have not taken a look under the hood.

I've mentioned, at the top of my script to post any issues using it on the gist itself, rather than reporting them to Plex, Unraid, LSIO, or Reverend (the guy who's wrapper my script downloads.) So that I can filter issues that are caused by error on my part, or the end user's part.  My apologies since this is apparently insufficient.

I'll go ahead and make a thread, though my ability to provide support will be limited as I am currently without a PC until its unpacked.
Thanks man, much appreciated, it wasn't a dig at you at all. But I think now we have a degree of separation it should be easier to support for both of us.

You can have as many notices telling people where to get support, they still ignore them, I know that. ;)

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Hi all -

Great project, installed very easily and I am getting hardware encoding no problem.  I am getting a lot of this in my log though, anything to worry about?

I am on a p2000 with no monitor plugged in.

Thanks!

Level Error

Thread 0x154500d0f700

Message [FFMPEG] - No VA display found for device: /dev/dri/renderD128.

1 hour ago, Auxilium said:

Is it by design that libXxf86vm.so.1 is missing?

It prevents use of nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You should be providing that library in your docker container if you need nvidia-settings. 

If you are running nvidia-settings in unraid itself (not sure why you would need to) then you would need to grab slackware packages for that library. That library is part of the Xorg project, and has nothing to do with Nvidia driver function, outside of the gui tool.

Is it by design that libXxf86vm.so.1 is missing?
It prevents use of nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Yeah, exactly what@xaero says, you've got to understand that we're installing what are essentially desktop drivers onto a server.

To do so I did remove one bit that wouldn't compile without a full GTK and X11 stack iirc.

libnvidia-gtk I believe it was.

8 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, exactly what@xaero says, you've got to understand that we're installing what are essentially desktop drivers onto a server.

To do so I did remove one bit that wouldn't compile without a full GTK and X11 stack iirc.

libnvidia-gtk I believe it was.

Thank you both, that explains now for what area that tool is specifically for.

The reason I was seeking nvidia-settings is to see/change GPU performance settings, I have Quadro P4000 that is consuming 27W/150W while system is idle and docker is not running, so was trying to find a a ways to poke it other than nvidia-smi to see if I can reduce it's idle power consumption. Thanks!

Hi, silly question, I just installed a P2000 and configure LSIO Plex, how do I force Plex to transcode so I can see HW in action, now that I want to test transcoding, all my content plays direct? (I tried playing from Chrome, Edge, and IE11, and Plex on iOS)

3 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

@ptr727 just go in chrome and select a lower quality and it will transcode to it. Make sure to put the checkbox in plex settings to use hardware decoding if available.  I assume you did the settings in your docker (from page 1).

Got it, thx, web player debug settings, disable direct play, and now I see HW transcoding working.

Yeah, thank you LSIO and Nvidia plugin team!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Auxilium said:

Thank you both, that explains now for what area that tool is specifically for.

The reason I was seeking nvidia-settings is to see/change GPU performance settings, I have Quadro P4000 that is consuming 27W/150W while system is idle and docker is not running, so was trying to find a a ways to poke it other than nvidia-smi to see if I can reduce it's idle power consumption. Thanks!

@CHBMB I too see this high power consumption. I know why it's happening, too. 

Basically, the nvidia driver doesn't initialize power management until an Xorg server is running. The only way to force a power profile on Linux currently is to use nvidia-smi like so:
nvidia-settings --ctrl-display :0 -a "[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=2"

Which requires a running Xorg display. I've been trying to dig around in sysfs to see if there is another place that this value is stored, but there doesn't seem to be. It looks like the cards are locked into performance mode... Perhaps this is worth bringing up to nvidia?

In the meantime, I'm going to continue digging to see if I can find a way (perhaps an nvidia-settings docker?) to force the power state.

• Like 3

I have Updated to the newest version (6.7.1-rc1) but in (6.7.0) too. and booth Plex and ember don't use hw decoding or encoding. 
i even can't use nvidia-smi it get the error: 

root@Server:~# nvidia-smi
Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:04:00.0: Unknown Error

I'm using a gtx 1050 ti and I know that it was working before. 

and from unraid logs all seems to be ok: 

May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: nvidia 0000:04:00.0: enabling device (0100 -> 0103)
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: nvidia 0000:04:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  430.14  Wed May  8 01:10:53 UTC 2019
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  430.14  Tue May  7 19:58:01 CDT 2019
May 27 22:39:47 Server kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000400] Loading driver

Edited by Wuast94

Does all the relevant info appear on the plugin screen? Post a screenshot

Also are you using that damned Plex script?

If you are try without otherwise we won't help unless it's removed from the equation.

2 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Does all the relevant info appear on the plugin screen? Post a screenshot

Also are you using that damned Plex script?

If you are try without otherwise we won't help unless it's removed from the equation.

yes as you see :)

now I don't use any script or is it a standard that is activated or installed by default ? 
and in emby shouldnt be any Plex script I think ? :)

Bildschirmfoto.png

yes as you see

now I don't use any script or is it a standard that is activated or installed by default ? 
and in emby shouldnt be any Plex script I think ?

Bildschirmfoto.thumb.png.03cbfd802e05597d0acdec7189b740d8.png
That tells me nvidia-smi is working though as that's how I get the information displayed there.

watch nvidia-smi is the command and it runs on Unraid not in the docker container.

So a quick note, every time my plex container gets updated, p2000 starts to spin the fan at 70%. The workaround is to start encoding something, then it resets back to normal.

Cheers.

Edited by ezhik
  • trurl locked this topic