[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

22 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

With the new PlexPass build that include the built-in Decode?

Yes I guess... Info is here... https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-server/30447/286

Plex Media Server 1.17.0.1709 is available in the Beta update channel

NEW:

(Transcoder) Update to current upstream ffmpeg

(Transcoder) Support for hardware transcoding on Linux with Intel 9th-gen processors

(Transcoder) Support for VC-1 hardware decoding on supported platforms

(Transcoder) Support for hardware decoding on Linux with Nvidia GPUs

(Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding on Linux with Nvidia GPUs

(Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding of interlaced media

FIXES:

(DVR) Comskip was not available in recording options on FreeBSD.

(DVR) Enhanced Plex Media Server’s performance by skipping reads of previously processed XMLTV guide data. (#9846)

(Transcoder) The server could become unresponsive after certain precisely-timed client interactions.

Corrects Live TV playback error when tuning to channel that contains space(s) in it.

(Transcoder) The server could use large amounts of CPU time when converting subtitles (#10478)

Note: Hardware transcoding with Nvidia GPUs now requires driver v418.30 or newer

Edited by msilkjr
3 hours ago, msilkjr said:

Plex Media Server 1.17.0.1709 is available in the Beta update channel

NEW:

Note: Hardware transcoding with Nvidia GPUs now requires driver v418.30 or newer

They wrote :   418.30 or newer,  not 430.18 or newer ;)

We have : 430.14, so higher than 418.30 ?

Edited by Pducharme
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, msilkjr said:

Hello all,

Plex now requires nvidia 430.18 and the unraid nvidia build 6.7.2 only has 430.14. is there a way to update the driver or an ETA on a new build?

I had to disalble hardware transcoding in plex as it stopped playing.

When you had it enabled, and you went to start a transcode would it crash your system? I replaced my motherboard last weekend and have been trying to get back to stable. All the times I get a transcode started again with the correct set up, it hangs the full system, and I have to hit the reset button. I am trying to figure out if it’s something I’m borking or a mobo issue, or something else.

Disregard comment, I forgot to add the runtime variable to extra parameters. I are stupid. 

Edited by urhellishntemre

When running nvidia-smi dmon, I can see both enc and dec activity. Interestingly, it seems something with Tautulli isn't caught up yet. Tautulli still shows "hw" for encoding only, not decoding. Is anyone seeing "hw" for both with this new version of Plex and 6.7.2?

one strange thing that i noticed is that earlier when i was using a script to enable NVDEC for plex it was working for both while watching a video and generating video preview thumbnails but now with latest plex we dont need that script but now NVDEC only works while watching a video, not it is using my cpu again for generating video preview thumbnails.

5 hours ago, Max said:

one strange thing that i noticed is that earlier when i was using a script to enable NVDEC for plex it was working for both while watching a video and generating video preview thumbnails but now with latest plex we dont need that script but now NVDEC only works while watching a video, not it is using my cpu again for generating video preview thumbnails.

Not strange at all. Iirc Plex doesn't use hw acceleration for thumbnail generation. They never did.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, aptalca said:

Not strange at all. Iirc Plex doesn't use hw acceleration for thumbnail generation. They never did.

that means somehow that script enabled HWDEC for thumbnail generation.

Still its downright dissappointing that plex doesn't support hw acceleration for thumbnail generation. it was one of the main advantage for me.

edit does emby or jellyfin supports it ??

Edited by Max
On 9/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, JasonM said:

When running nvidia-smi dmon, I can see both enc and dec activity. Interestingly, it seems something with Tautulli isn't caught up yet. Tautulli still shows "hw" for encoding only, not decoding. Is anyone seeing "hw" for both with this new version of Plex and 6.7.2?

This is a Tautulli problem and they know about.

• Like 1
On 2/9/2019 at 6:15 AM, linuxserver.io said:

Unraid Nvidia is a way of leveraging a Nvidia graphics card in your Unraid server to offload transcoding from the CPU to your GPU.

First, much appreciation to all involved in developing this (fork?), and documenting in this thread - it helps me understand the potential value.

Second, I am a "noob" but running a unRAID NAS server box with vanilla Plex docker (limetech/plex - no subscriptions).

I recently was able to acquire a nVidia K10 Tesla GPGPU, so I have some basic questions:

1) Is there any inherent value in "Unraid Nvidia", outside of the obvious speed increases in media transcoding?

2) Can "Unraid Nvidia" take advantage of the GPUs and memory on a Tesla card? (K10, K80, M40, V100, etc)

3) Has anyone had experience with a Tesla card and unRAID? (In VM or with nVidia unRAID) - And was it worth the time involved?

3A) Or for that matter, anyone using homelab applications utilizing a Tesla card under unRAID that they can share tips on?

Thank you in advance for anything offered!

Edited by rollieindc
11 hours ago, rollieindc said:

1) Is there any inherent value in "Unraid Nvidia", outside of the obvious speed increases in media transcoding?

Letting the GPU handle decoding/encoding leaves your CPU open for other work.   Generally, the encodes from a GPU (hardware encoder) will be lower quality than the encodes from the CPU (when using x264), though newer generation hardware encoders are starting to close this gap.  (the K10 does not have a newer generation hardware encoder.)   If you have a powerful enough CPU to keep up with the transcodes being requested and everything else being requested of your unraid server, you'll likely see no real benefit with a hardware encoder. 

2) Can "Unraid Nvidia" take advantage of the GPUs and memory on a Tesla card? (K10, K80, M40, V100, etc)

"Unraid Nvidia" lets you use the GPU with Plex/Emby/etc. dockers. See this list for what you can expect in Plex.  The K10 isn't included in that list, but if it works at all, I'd expect it to perform something like the other GK104's

3) Has anyone had experience with a Tesla card and unRAID? (In VM or with nVidia unRAID) - And was it worth the time involved?

3A) Or for that matter, anyone using homelab applications utilizing a Tesla card under unRAID that they can share tips on?

No experience with any of the Tesla cards, but how useful it will be depends on your specific use case.

I use a Quadro P400 for nvenc/nvdec in my Plex Docker, leaving my CPU (and GTX 1080) open for use with a gaming VM.   For me, it was worth the time involved passing the 1080 GTX through to my gaming VM, and using Unraid Nvidia to offload Plex transcoding to the P400.  Allows me to dedicate more CPU cores to the Gaming VM.

Edited by brainbone

Hey folks,

I am using a p2000 for my GPU and a Highpoint Rocket 750 for my HBA. Once I install any of the Nvidia drivers, my HBA vanishes with my drives. As soon as I revert to the stock Unraid driver package, the drives show back up. Could the driver installation be interfering with the HBA driver? Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

Edited by SNDS
13 minutes ago, SNDS said:

Hey folks,

I am using a p2000 for my GPU and a Highpoint Rocket 750 for my HBA. Once I install any of the Nvidia drivers, my HBA vanishes with my drives. As soon as I revert to the stock Unraid driver package, the drives show back up. Could the driver installation be interfering with the HBA driver? Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this. The 750 has a Marvell controller which has known and irreconcilable issues with the kernel. It's time to start looking at new controllers. I have two 750s collecting dust in my office which I can't even give away. The LSI 9207-8i or 9207-16i can be had on eBay for very reasonable prices, and you can get them pre-flashed into IT mode, so they'll work OOB.

Edited by JasonM

Just to weigh in on this, I had to replace my controllers to get this working as well. Not because of conflicts, but simply because I did not have enough space for my new transcoding gpu :).

I ended up getting a used Adaptec 72405 off eBay (I prefer an authentic Adaptec used server pull from the USA, rather than a new but more-than-likely knock off from China).

I had some challenges getting it working, but it's been running now for a few days without issue. I've transferred a bunch of files, restarted the server at least 10 times and run several rebuilds and parity checks.

Check my post in the controllers section of the forum for more details if you're interested in trying it. It's a bit of a risk compared to something like the 9207-16i listed above which works OOTB, but it's cheap and has been pretty solid so far. Though not as many ports as the Rocket 750 (40 vs 24), it's running PCI-e 3.0, so gives you significantly more bandwidth (if your board supports it) then the PCI-e 2.0 Rocket 750.

Again, buyer beware. My results might not be your results. There is at least one other user in this forum that could not get the 72405 working.

If plex supports this natively now, do we still need this? Any advantages?

Plex now supports decoding natively.

Yes you need the nVidia OS. You don’t need the script to activate decoding if you have Plex 1.17.

EDIT: you need the OS to utilize a GPU with a Docker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rmeaux said:

Plex now supports decoding natively.

Yes you need the nVidia OS. You don’t need the script to activate decoding if you have Plex 1.17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahhh...ok...was the script separate from the install or something? I don't recall. Been a while. Where do I remove it from?

• trurl locked this topic