[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

4 minutes ago, veritas2884 said:

So the stubbing that was mentioned didn't seem to work, but I am not sure that I did it properly. However, I will say that if you stop the Plex container, start a VM that uses the 1060, then start the Plex container again it will only use the Quadro. Downfall here is that you need to leave the VM running to all the time or it will fall back to the 1060.

See this thread:

You’ll need to modify your Syslinux file to isolate the card. Use vfio instead of stub.

Edited by JasonM
16 minutes ago, JasonM said:

See this thread:

You’ll need to modify your Syslinux file to isolate the card. Use vfio instead of stub.

Thank you, Thank you, thank you! This worked perfectly!

When you say use vfio instead of stub, do you mean it should look like: 

append pci-vfio.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot 

instead of what I have in there now which is:

append pci-stub.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot 

Also, just out of curiosity what is the difference between the two?

5 minutes ago, veritas2884 said:

Thank you, Thank you, thank you! This worked perfectly!

When you say use vfio instead of stub, do you mean it should look like: 

append pci-vfio.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot 

instead of what I have in there now which is:

Also, just out of curiosity what is the difference between the two?

Using stub employs a generic driver. Since you have the required virtualization hardware, vfio will use the dedicated driver. And it's reversed for that one. You'd use "vfio-pci.ids" in place of the other.

Also, make sure you're stubbing all the functions of the card. You're showing two, but the card may or may not have more. The two you have are likely the graphics and sound controllers integral to the card. My card also has USB and serial controllers that I have to stub and pass to the VM for it to start properly. This may not be an issue for your card, but it's something to look for.

Edited by JasonM
6 minutes ago, JasonM said:

Using stub employs a generic driver. Since you have the required virtualization hardware, vfio will use the dedicated driver. And it's reversed for that one. You'd use "vfio-pci.ids" in place of the other.

Thanks again Jason, however when I switched from:

to

append vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot

it put the ability for the plex container to address the 1070 back into play, but when I used the pic-stub.ids it took it away from the plex container

2 minutes ago, veritas2884 said:

Thanks again Jason, however when I switched from:

to

append vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0 initrd=/bzroot

it put the ability for the plex container to address the 1070 back into play, but when I used the pic-stub.ids it took it away from the plex container

Interesting. Every setup is a little different and there may be some variations in processor and motherboard capability. AFAIK, there isn't a specific disadvantage to using stub. If it works and you're getting the game performance you want, then I'd say you're all set. Until the next problem, of course. Living that homelab life.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:53 AM, dudarus1 said:

so i started the vm with the gtx 1060 passed through and tried some transcoding and it worked but for some reason plex has forgotten about the 2 transcode limit which it definetly had without the vm running

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 16.49.45.png

How are you on an older driver version? 430.14, Shouldn't the latest version be 430.50?

I actually want to try an older driver version to see if my old 760 starts working again.

Hello.

Could I ask two very basic questions please.

1) just how much of an advantage does gpu hardware transcoding give? I have a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with a Xeon E3 1231 V3 and the CPU maxes out just transcoding one H265 stream to my iPad.

2) Is this method simple to add to an existing UNRaid setup? From what I understand one has to install a dedicated / tuned version of UNRaid. Is that correct. I’m currently running Ver 6.8.0 rc5.

Many thanks.

Edited by Jetjockey
Hello.

1) just how much of an advantage does gpu hardware transcoding give? I have a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with a Xeon E3 1231 V3 and the CPU maxes out just transcoding one H265 stream to my iPad.

2) Is this method simple to add to an existing UNRaid setup? From what I understand one has to install a dedicated / tuned version of UNRaid. Is that correct. I’m currently running Ver 6.8.0 rc5.

Many thanks.
In CPU without ActiveSync I can transcode a 1080p h264 video at around 45ish FPS.
That maxes out all 16 threads of my server.
On GPU I can get over 350FPS.
The system looks almost idle but the GPU is going crazy.
If I'm watching Anime I can sometimes have the entire episode transcoded before the opening is done.

Installing this is easy, install the plugin, hit the drop-down and select the version of unraid you want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

Hello.

Many thanks.

http://slothtechtv.com/2018/09/hardware-transcoding-in-plex-with-the-p2000-and-a-2u-supermicro-dual-x5670-server

OK, thanks for that, the benefits seem pretty clear!

However, question 2 still stands.

What is involved in actually getting this working on a standard UnRaid install, albeit the latest version?

Do I have to install another version of UnRaid instead of the standard version?

Thanks.

OK, thanks for that, the benefits seem pretty clear!

However, question 2 still stands.

What is involved in actually getting this working on a standard UnRaid install, albeit the latest version?

Thanks.
The plugin does everything for you....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

The direct answer is yes, you need to install a version of unRAID (managed by the plugin) that includes Nvidia drivers.  Standard unRAID does not include these drivers and therefore would not work with the plugin.

Thank you for those very rapid answers! 👍

Finally, before I jump in with both feet and cause myself problems.....

Does the plugin download AND install the modified UnRaid OS?

Does the modified OS import/carry over my existing settings such as Docker containers/Plugins/additions I’ve made to the boot up (Cfg) files?

Thanks again.

Edited by Jetjockey
10 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

Does the modified OS import/carry over my existing settings such as Docker containers/Plugins/additions I’ve made to the boot up (CFC) files?

It's just like a regular unRAID 'upgrade' so, yes, all settings and configurations are maintained. 

I am fairly certain the plugin downloads and installs the OS (can't see why it wouldn't).  I don't use it yet but am planning to in the near future.

• Like 1

Brilliant.... Thank you.

I've just installed the plug in. Now, next on the agenda is to select a graphics card that will fit my SuperMicro X10SL7-F which is PCI express 2, and offers the best bang for the buck. The P2000 seems a little expensive whilst the GTX1060 seems a bit more reasonable. I’m not overly worried about the 2 stream limitation of the consumer grade card, I’m more concerned about fan noise. Can anybody recommend a relatively quiet choice?

Thank you.

I've got a 1050ti.  Can't recall the make/model, but got it fairly cheaply off eBay (used).  I've got the same motherboard and CPU and it's taken the load right off the system.

My plan was to get this to test and get me going whilst I saved up for a decent one.  So far it's been excellent so haven't yet needed to upgrade.  Once Plex is configured, it just works.

Hang on... PALIT GEForce GTX 1050TI STORM X (according to eBay history).  I thought it was passive (no fan), but must be mistaken.  Can't hear it over mild system fans.  Might have been because it's a fairly low power consumption.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jhp612 said:

Will you be releasing support for RC6?

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

I would hope not, as RC7 is inevitable and should be soon.

Doesn't build currently on RC6, I think something has changed in the bzroot packaging, as I can reproduce the error merely by unpacking and repacking the stock Unraid bzroot, have messaged @limetech for some advice.

Model: Custom

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B360M DS3H Version x.x - s/n: Default string

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F14. Dated: 03/14/2019

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 384 KiB, 1536 KiB, 9216 KiB

Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Version 6.8.0-rc5 2019-11-01

Nvidia Driver Version:430.50

GPU 0 Model & Bus:Quadro P2000      01:00.0

GPU 0 UUID:GPU-f5f12578-6b6d-4157-0a44-5f59cb1b9007

I have 2 unraid servers, above are the specs for the one that I cannot get to work with nvidia unraid.  My other server I can get to work just fine.
When I open a terminal and type `watch nvidia-smi` , it just hangs, no output.
When I start the official plexmediaserver docker image with all the settings (spaceinvadersone youtube video) the container just hangs on pending, and locks up the docker service, forcing me to stop and start the Docker service.

What else can I change to get this to work?
Thanks in advance!

Branson

• trurl locked this topic