[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Hi,

So I noticed someone else lost connectivity after switching to LSIO. I lose a NIC after the change to LSIO. I've attached my diags from stock and lsio. Go back to stock it comes back. I will note 6.7 didn't have support for the NIC. Only since 6.8 did it start working.

tn40xx is the device. 

[1fc9:4027] 10:00.0 Ethernet controller: Tehuti Networks Ltd. TN9710P 10GBase-T/NBASE-T Ethernet Adapter

Thanks for any help!

tower-diagnostics-20191219-1547-lsio.zip tower-diagnostics-20191219-1558-stock.zip

Hi.

Thanks for all your great work.

Have utilized a K2000 in Plex for transcoding (not a heavyweight, I know) and I'm thinking of repurposing it to other containers.

Has anyone tried using an nVidia card in the Shinobi CCTV container?

Don't know where to start, but it seems that Shinobi can use the GPU for encoding the recodings and stuff

https://shinobi.video/docs/gpu

Any help will be appreciated 🙂

1 hour ago, gshlomi said:

Hi.

Thanks for all your great work.

Have utilized a K2000 in Plex for transcoding (not a heavyweight, I know) and I'm thinking of repurposing it to other containers.

Has anyone tried using an nVidia card in the Shinobi CCTV container?

Don't know where to start, but it seems that Shinobi can use the GPU for encoding the recodings and stuff

https://shinobi.video/docs/gpu

Any help will be appreciated 🙂

Set the two variables and add the --runtime=nvidia. Then start the container and set the settings in the link you posted. If it doesn't work then, something needs to be done in the container. That is something you should ask the container author about.

I have installed 6.8.0, but my P600 isn't recognised. I get the following:-

340066225_ScreenShot2019-12-22at7_32_33pm.thumb.png.df298b6fc47d1b22eaba7b0082f35c4c.png

I have tried the following:-

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone suggest what I should try next? Thanks.

340066225_ScreenShot2019-12-22at7_32_33pm.thumb.png.df298b6fc47d1b22eaba7b0082f35c4c.png

$ nvidia-smiNVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone suggest what I should try next? Thanks.

Is the P600 supported by this driver version?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

According to the compatibility list at https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/154997/en-us it is.
Then it may just be nvidia-smi isn't supported. Try to transcode with it anyway. Nvidia-smi is a CLI tool for interacting with the card, not necessary for it's use.

Have you used previous versions of the Unraid plugin without issue?

Or is this the first time you've tried?

11 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Then it may just be nvidia-smi isn't supported. Try to transcode with it anyway. Nvidia-smi is a CLI tool for interacting with the card, not necessary for it's use.

Have you used previous versions of the Unraid plugin without issue?

Or is this the first time you've tried?

I have been using a Quadro P600 from the earliest Nvidia Unraid builds with nvidia-smi and am currently running 6.8.0-rc7 without any issues regarding transcoding and using nvidia-smi commands.

Hope this helps.

I would also like send my heartfelt thanks to everybody involved with the plugin and the builds! Your work is truly appreciated!

Just to follow up on the sleep issue i've been having.

- Removed video card and confirmed sleep works correctly with 6.7.2 and 6.8

- Tested each build of Unraid Nvidia which contains a different Nvidia driver - issue is present in all drivers

- Enabled and disabled anything and everything in the bios i thought might be relevant

- Observed the system when it receives magic packet, video card fans spin up and then power off , system hangs and never wakes from sleep

- All of the above was performed with the array stopped so never experienced an unclean shutdown 

10 hours ago, phasetwo said:

I have been using a Quadro P600 from the earliest Nvidia Unraid builds with nvidia-smi and am currently running 6.8.0-rc7 without any issues regarding transcoding and using nvidia-smi commands.

Hope this helps.

I would also like send my heartfelt thanks to everybody involved with the plugin and the builds! Your work is truly appreciated!

Thanks for confirming, I'll be interested to see your findings on v6.8.0 final.

8 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Thanks for confirming, I'll be interested to see your findings on v6.8.0 final.

I will perform the update during the holidays and report back to you.

In the meantime I have sent a donation your way. Thanks to everybody contributing to this project! Your work truly has improved my quality of life.

Since the donate link is buried in this thread, I’m posting it below, in case other people feel compelled to donate as well. 😊

https://www.linuxserver.io/donate

I will perform the update during the holidays and report back to you.

In the meantime I have sent a donation your way. Thanks to everybody contributing to this project! Your work truly has improved my quality of life.
Since the donate link is buried in this thread, I’m posting it below, in case other people feel compelled to donate as well.
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate
That's very kind of you, thank you.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:36 AM, Pixor said:

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I am getting the same error message with a Quadro 5000 and also don't know what to try next, Help me forum group, you are my only hope....lol

Just to mention, I had the plug-in installed but didn't actually have the modified kernel through the plug-in downloaded and installed.

I was seeing an error during boot when just the plug-in loaded that was spitting an "nvidia-smi" error into the system log.

Took me a minute to remember I had the plug-in installed, so since removed it.

Edited by cybrnook

Yeah, if the plugin is installed but you haven't

1. Downloaded the custom Nvidia build &
2. Rebooted

You will see nvidia-smi errors as the plugin parses the installed cards at boot using nvidia-smi then writes that info to a temp file which is then utilised from then on.

Problem is, for everyone posting that nvidia-smi error it doesn't really mean anything as all it says to me is

"At the time of boot, when nvidia-smi was run, a card wasn't able to be found"

That's not to say the card didn't load the kernel drivers later in the boot cycle and would work perfectly regardless

I'll put the beast to bed then post a command for people to test the theory.

Why this is suddenly an issue, no idea....

y emby only transcodes two streams in paralell via nvenc ?
You haven't mentioned your card. Probably hardware restriction on Nvidias part.

Try and include relevant information next time you post and it'll help get a better answer.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:11 AM, reggierat said:

Just to follow up on the sleep issue i've been having.

- Removed video card and confirmed sleep works correctly with 6.7.2 and 6.8

- Tested each build of Unraid Nvidia which contains a different Nvidia driver - issue is present in all drivers

- Enabled and disabled anything and everything in the bios i thought might be relevant

- Observed the system when it receives magic packet, video card fans spin up and then power off , system hangs and never wakes from sleep

- All of the above was performed with the array stopped so never experienced an unclean shutdown 

And fixed.. good old BIOS update to the rescue

After trying a different graphics card with stock unraid and also unraid-nvidia it became obvious this wasn't a driver issue

(thanks for listening)

:)

20 hours ago, CHBMB said:

You haven't mentioned your card. Probably hardware restriction on Nvidias part.

Try and include relevant information next time you post and it'll help get a better answer.

its an 1050Ti and i found out it has only 2 simultanous transcoding streams via NVENC wiki.. Tesla or Quattro would be nice here but way too expensive

Edited by Gee1

After installing this plugin my server won't come up. I get an error saying: Fixing recursive fault.

My question is how can I restore my system without plugins loaded as that is the only way I can boot at the moment?

I don't care if I get this installed properly atm just need my server booting 😮

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can boot into safe mode and looking at boot the plugin seems to build a new kernel with the nvidia drivers.

bzfirmware
bzimage
bzmodules
bzroot
bzroot-gui

Does this plugin back the previous kernel up somewhere before overwriting? Is there some way just to pass a kernel param to stop the drivers from loading?

Thanks again for any help that can be provided. I realize I put myself in quite the pickle and am relying on others to help fix my screw up.

Update: I managed to get it booted after a hard shutdown and start. I used the plugin to install the stock version of 6.8.0 and everything boots fine.

There is one thing on the startup staying that:

/bin/bash: line 14: nvidia-smi: command not found

I know this will not affect anything but is there a way to fix this?

Edited by ShadowMoses
update

Hello,

Am I missing something as I do not see my Nvidia quadro p2000 card in the IOMMU list even though Unraid Nvidia works with no issues and transcodes for plex.  

I do have HVM and IOMMU enabled.

I wanted to pass this through to a VM and I did do a search first, but the thread is 60 pages long so i do apologize if I missed something blatantly obvious.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

I can boot into safe mode and looking at boot the plugin seems to build a new kernel with the nvidia drivers.
bzfirmwarebzimagebzmodulesbzrootbzroot-gui

Does this plugin back the previous kernel up somewhere before overwriting? Is there some way just to pass a kernel param to stop the drivers from loading?

Thanks again for any help that can be provided. I realize I put myself in quite the pickle and am relying on others to help fix my screw up.

Update: I managed to get it booted after a hard shutdown and start. I used the plugin to install the stock version of 6.8.0 and everything boots fine.

There is one thing on the startup staying that:

/bin/bash: line 14: nvidia-smi: command not found

I know this will not affect anything but is there a way to fix this?

Uninstall the plugin to remove the nvidia-smi line, that's part of the plugin install at boot to parse the cards.

The plugin is merely a conduit to download a different version of Unraid with the drivers built in. It doesn't compile anything at boot time.

• trurl locked this topic