[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Hey guys, 

I have a bug with this release.

I have an Asus motherboard with 2.5Gbit LAN (ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) with Realtek® RTL8125-CG 2.5G LAN)

If I use the stock 6.8.1, everything is working and my LAN is working with the 2.5G plug.

If I use unraid-nvidia 6.8.1 my 2.5 is not detected anymore. I need to plug the ethernet in the Intel network card to get everything working.

I had to reverse to the stock unraid version for the moment. 

I don't understand what could be the problem.

Regards,

Ben

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Picard said:

Hey guys, 

I have a bug with this release.

I have an Asus motherboard with 2.5Gbit LAN (ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) with Realtek® RTL8125-CG 2.5G LAN)

If I use the stock 6.8.1, everything is working and my LAN is working with the 2.5G plug.

If I use unraid-nvidia 6.8.1 my 2.5 is not detected anymore. I need to plug the ethernet in the Intel network card to get everything working.

I had to reverse to the stock unraid version for the moment. 

I don't understand what could be the problem.

Regards,

Ben

This appears to be the same issue that I mentioned here:

Looks like the OOT driver for these NICs might not have made it into this build of Nvidia Unraid.

Edited by wreave
  • Like 1

@chbmb I hadn't really thought about it before, but it occurs to me that you're really running a whole different kernel albeit a matching one.  We may find ourselves in the future with another need for something in the kernel and forced to choose between this or something else.  Have you ever thought about creating this for more than just nvidia?  I.e. making a whole community custom kernel as it were?  The unraid guys are pretty good at getting stuff in there, so maybe its a bit pointless, just thinking out loud I guess.

12 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Oh I know nothing about unraid DVB. Sounds reasonable. Do tell.

It's another Unraid build with driver support for TV tuner cards by CHBMB (predates Nvidia plugin).  Fortunately, because of the rise of network tuners, choosing between the two builds isn't the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

@chbmb I hadn't really thought about it before, but it occurs to me that you're really running a whole different kernel albeit a matching one.  We may find ourselves in the future with another need for something in the kernel and forced to choose between this or something else.  Have you ever thought about creating this for more than just nvidia?  I.e. making a whole community custom kernel as it were?  The unraid guys are pretty good at getting stuff in there, so maybe its a bit pointless, just thinking out loud I guess.

You are welcome to try to make it for everything everyone wants added.

7 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

I have zero desire in creating any more custom Unraid builds.  Currently the Nvidia one technically isn't a custom kernel as I change nothing there, it's more about adding extra packages and  custom  container runtime.

DVB adds DVB drivers and some extra firmware (LibreELEC version)  TBS and Digital Devices are completely different branches on the media_tree.

I did help with the HP RMRR version as well, but I don't maintain it, and iirc there's currently no kernel patch for the kernel version we're using anyway.

I had a play around with some docker swarm kernel parameters a while ago but that's about it.

I don't enable anything else custom and don't want to. 

• Like 1

I just upgraded to the 6.8.1 nvidia plugin from 6.8.0 nvidia plugin.  Now the server will not boot.  On the screen it keeps saying system initializing and stays like that forever.  I tried a hard power off multiple times and even unplugged/turned off the power supply and the issue is the same.  I really would appreciate any help since I do not know what else to do.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Mogo said:

I just upgraded to the 6.8.1 nvidia plugin from 6.8.0 nvidia plugin.  Now the server will not boot.  On the screen it keeps saying system initializing and stays like that forever.  I tried a hard power off multiple times and even unplugged/turned off the power supply and the issue is the same.  I really would appreciate any help since I do not know what else to do.  Thanks.

Do you have a backup of your flash drive?

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have a backup of your flash drive?

I'm going to say no.  I had one of those ca plugins that did weekly backups, however, the folder it backs up to is a share on the array which I don't have access to now.  I assume that ca plugin did a flash backup.

14 minutes ago, Mogo said:

I'm going to say no.  I had one of those ca plugins that did weekly backups, however, the folder it backs up to is a share on the array which I don't have access to now.  I assume that ca plugin did a flash backup.

Put flash in your PC and let it checkdisk. While in your PC make a backup of flash. Try again, be sure to boot from a USB2 port.

2 hours ago, Mogo said:

If system initializing comes before the unraid boot menu it could be that your USB isn't chosen in the bios as a boot device. Or it could be hardware failure.

You can try to check the USB drive in windows and try to run the make boot able script again.

4 hours ago, Mogo said:

you can use a Linux live boot usb to gain access to the drives, i'm not sure how to do it when you have disk encryption...

(or remove it from the server and mount it to an another linux system)

best tip i can give: ALWAYS make a backup before upgrading and safe the backup somewhere else...

(you can create a full backup through the GUI.)

Edited by sjaak
5 hours ago, saarg said:

If system initializing comes before the unraid boot menu it could be that your USB isn't chosen in the bios as a boot device. Or it could be hardware failure.

You can try to check the USB drive in windows and try to run the make boot able script again.

I put the usb drive into the windows system and at fist it said there were issues do you want to fix etc.. after the scan was complete it said there were no errors found and windows was able to load the usb drive.  I then copied the folder to my desktop like you mentioned as a backup.  I also ran chkdsk from the command prompt and it came back with no errors.

So I put the usb back into the system and it still is stuck on system initializing.  Unfortunately the motherboard only has 4 usb 3.0 slots.  I even tried to plug the usb drive into the case slots (not sure if those are 2.0/3.0) and that did not work either.

5 hours ago, saarg said:

Yes the system initializing is showing before unraid boot.  It's the first thing that show's when the system is turned on.  I guess I have to take the usb drive out and try and get into the bios?  Since it won't even give me the option to enter the bios.  If it's a hardware failure, how can a software update do that?

3 hours ago, sjaak said:

you can use a Linux live boot usb to gain access to the drives, i'm not sure how to do it when you have disk encryption...

(or remove it from the server and mount it to an another linux system)

best tip i can give: ALWAYS make a backup before upgrading and safe the backup somewhere else...

(you can create a full backup through the GUI.)

Thanks noted for future.  I've never had issues with unraid updates (os or otherwise).  This last month it seems everything is breaking for me.  I have to say that everyone on the forum have been very helpful.

• trurl locked this topic