[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

51 minutes ago, joeloooiz said:

Looks like SMB speeds are back to being pretty slow on 6.8.1. I had reverted to 6.7.2 due to slow SMB in 6.8 but was told this was corrected in 6.8.1....doesn't seem like its any better. 

Guess I'll revert back until a later release

Why are posting this in the nvidia thread?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I think my setup is running into some issues in 6.8.1. 
I've got Ryzen 3600, 32gig of ram, and an nvidia gt1030. Occasionally PMS decides to shit the bed, hogs essentially every one of my 12 threads, and gobbles up all 32gigs of ram. I've gone through the plex console and it seems to be choking on the nvidia card for transcoding. These are the two errors that I'm getting:

[FFMPEG] - OpenEncodeSessionEx failed: unsupported device (2) unraid

Codecs: avcodec_open2 returned -38 for encoder 'h264_nvenc'

It seemed to be working fine before. The nvidia-smi was showing multiple gpu transcoding threads, and people using my server weren't really seeing any problems until PMS decided to blow up all of my resources. 

I've followed the instructions on the start of this thread to a 'T', so I'm not really sure where to go...

EDIT: Ah hell. I'm just now finding this matrix of HWENC/HWDEC capabilities for nvidia cards. Looks like the GT1030 doesn't have a freakin HWENC chip. That's some hot bullshit.

Edited by pfdang
On 2/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, Jezper said:

The hw transcoding is working for all the formats except for HEVC 10 bit HDR (Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main 10 HDR) 89.9 Mbs)

Codec HEVC

Bit Depth 10

Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0

Color Primaries bt2020

Color Range tv

Color Space bt2020nc

Color Trc smpte2084

Frame Rate 23.976 fps

Height 2160

Level 5.1

Profile main 10

Ref Frames 1

This is also the only thing that is too slow to do in software transcoding with my i7-2700K, so I bought a gtx 1050 ti to do it in HW instead, to be able to play these movies over the internet on a remote location. According to the Video encode and decode support matrix:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

it looks like it should work. Is enyone else getting this to function in plex?

If not, and this is not supported or functional in plex, what kind of hardware do I need to be able to do this in software transcoding?

Sorry for bringing this up again but this seems to still be an issue.

I'm running 6.8 rc7 with the current binhex plex docker and my P600 does HW transcoding for everything except HEVC 10 bit HDR.  

I'm aware that HEVC 10bit 4:4:4 NVDEC is not supported. However, a file with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should be decoded by the card but is not. Does anyone have a clue as to why that is?

screenshot HEVC.png

10 minutes ago, phasetwo said:

Sorry for bringing this up again but this seems to still be an issue.

I'm running 6.8 rc7 with the current binhex plex docker and my P600 does HW transcoding for everything except HEVC 10 bit HDR.  

I'm aware that HEVC 10bit 4:4:4 NVDEC is not supported. However, a file with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should be decoded by the card but is not. Does anyone have a clue as to why that is?

screenshot HEVC.png

Hey, sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm interested in what happens when it doesn't do hardware transcoding on this - does it just fall back to CPU?  Or does it fail some other way?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Marshalleq said:

Hey, sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm interested in what happens when it doesn't do hardware transcoding on this - does it just fall back to CPU?  Or does it fail some other way?  Thanks.

It falls back to CPU and maxes out my E3-1240 V2 which leads to a fail on Apple TV. The video plays but stutters heavily in the browser. In short, it falls back to CPU which can lead to a failure if the stream.

12 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Yes mummy.

He's right, we don't need to be told, the rate limiting step isn't when we notice a new Unraid build, it's when I get a chance to build it, trust me, I'm an Unraid user, I get the same notifications as everyone else, I know when there's a new release.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, phasetwo said:

It falls back to CPU and maxes out my E3-1240 V2 which leads to a fail on Apple TV. The video plays but stutters heavily in the browser. In short, it falls back to CPU which can lead to a failure if the stream.

Thanks, great to know - I always wondered if it would actually work.  So it works as intended, but may not result in a functioning stream depending on CPU horsepower.

12 minutes ago, phasetwo said:

Interestingly enough, a file with the same profile but less size/bandwidth (20GB/47Mbps compared to 70GB/170Mbps) is transcoded just fine.

screenshot HEVC2.png

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

He's right, we don't need to be told, the rate limiting step isn't when we notice a new Unraid build, it's when I get a chance to build it, trust me, I'm an Unraid user, I get the same notifications as everyone else, I know when there's a new release.

All good - some devs (like the ZFS one) ask others to point it out - I'm a fairly newly minted user of your plugin so wasn't sure.  And there are certainly no end of people in these forums that like to treat others like children.  So I like to point them out.  And I'm sure it's frustrating on the other end too - but there could have been a few extra words placed in the sentence.

3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

That is well understood.

Every time there is a change to what's configured and included has an impact on what's required to create the custom distributions such as Nvidia and DVB. This includes the kernel version, the drivers and especially out-of-tree drivers, and additional patches.

Fortunately, some tiny part of this is mitigated as Limetech generally does a good job of including what additional patches they apply. however, if a new patch is added then the fine folks at LinuxServer.IO have to be aware of it and be certain to include it in their build. It's very easy to overlook new items, especially if you attempt to have your builds mostly automated.

I used to run a permanent persistent install on HDD of unRaid, but the task of doing all this was taking too much of my time.

Has the LSIO team approached Limetech about the possibility of them starting to include nvidia drivers in their official releases?  I GREATLY appreciate what LSIO has done to get this all working and to continue to support it but I feel like it's an unnecessary burden on them.  I don't see why Limetech can't just include the latest nvidia drivers available at the time whenever they put out a new release just like how the update other packages like samba, etc.  

Edited by IamSpartacus

I imagine googling unraid and nvidia might turn up lots of false positives. No harm in asking. I must have a read too as there’s actually no legal reason not to include them in their binary form as far as I’m aware. Which is how everyone else does it. And at a stretch other distos make a system that allows these things to be user added. Though perhaps I’m forgetting something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• trurl locked this topic