[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

2 hours ago, 08deanr said:

i sent a message to someone on the Linux|Server.io  but i doubt anything will be done as they stat there wouldn't be incremental updates

BTW I don't think this issue is fixable by linuxserver.io.  It's to do with the kernel built by the dev of this plugin.  So that's @CHBMB I believe.  He mentioned he's very busy at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a quick response.  I've effectively let him know from this message so you don't need to. 

As a quick explanation, the kernel is what you see loading when you first start your unraid box if you have a screen plugged in (all that geeky text).  It manages the interface between your hardware (i.e network card, hard drives, bios etc) and the software (i.e. the GUI of unraid, docker etc).  If a driver is missed out (or just configured wrong etc), it won't load / work correctly.  The drivers are built into the kernel at build time and are generally not easy to add by an end user (particularly in unraid) due to it booting from USB.  It's actually why this plugin was created, to get around this problem and why a whole kernel had to be rebuilt just to add nvidia.

So if we want nvidia drivers and a fix for a network card, we're reliant on the developer of this plugin and it's custom kernel, or someone with access to the developers build system.  I don't think the build system is public, so I suspect we're left with one developer to contact.  I'd love to get my hands on it I have to admit, but there would be more talented people than me in line for that!

15 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

BTW I don't think this issue is fixable by linuxserver.io.  It's to do with the kernel built by the dev of this plugin.  So that's @CHBMB I believe.  He mentioned he's very busy at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a quick response.  I've effectively let him know from this message so you don't need to. 

As a quick explanation, the kernel is what you see loading when you first start your unraid box if you have a screen plugged in (all that geeky text).  It manages the interface between your hardware (i.e network card, hard drives, bios etc) and the software (i.e. the GUI of unraid, docker etc).  If a driver is missed out (or just configured wrong etc), it won't load / work correctly.  The drivers are built into the kernel at build time and are generally not easy to add by an end user (particularly in unraid) due to it booting from USB.  It's actually why this plugin was created, to get around this problem and why a whole kernel had to be rebuilt just to add nvidia.

So if we want nvidia drivers and a fix for a network card, we're reliant on the developer of this plugin and it's custom kernel, or someone with access to the developers build system.  I don't think the build system is public, so I suspect we're left with one developer to contact.  I'd love to get my hands on it I have to admit, but there would be more talented people than me in line for that!

Completely understandable, i dont expect a change until the next version is released. Going back into the kernel to add a couple drivers would be to much work when the next RC version prolly isnt that far off ( few months prolly at the rate they seem to be going) 

I appreciate you pointing it out to the correct person. I have attached LSMOD, hopefully that will help out if not please let me know what i can do to help out. 

LSMOD.txt

He'll need to know which nic you have, which I think I recall was a broadcom.  You could use LSPCI for that, or just do the whole diagnostics upload within unraid is probably best.  Then the info is there so it can be included in the next version.  Might be good to do it on the running version and the non running version to compare if you can manage it.  But at least in the running version so he can see which driver is having the problem.

2 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

He'll need to know which nic you have, which I think I recall was a broadcom.  You could use LSPCI for that, or just do the whole diagnostics upload within unraid is probably best.  Then the info is there so it can be included in the next version.  Might be good to do it on the running version and the non running version to compare if you can manage it.  But at least in the running version so he can see which driver is having the problem.

Here is the diagnostics from the running system. I would rather not mess with it now but if needed i can later i just alot going on now

media-diagnostics-20200204-1929.zip

44 minutes ago, 08deanr said:

Here is the diagnostics from the running system. I would rather not mess with it now but if needed i can later i just alot going on now

media-diagnostics-20200204-1929.zip 213.45 kB · 0 downloads

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
	Kernel driver in use: tg3
	Kernel modules: tg3
05:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:8677]
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169

You have two different NICs, which one isn't working?  I'm assuming these logs were from a stock Unraid?

54 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
05:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:8677]
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169

You have two different NICs, which one isn't working?  I'm assuming these logs were from a stock Unraid?

Correct i have the on board Realtek and the PCI Broadcom and NEITHER were working.  Both are now working with the Stock Unraid

1 hour ago, dirtyofries said:

Currently trying to update to 6.8.2 - stuck at the download screen...isn't downloading. If I select any of the standard builds, they work.

Some issue server-side? Anyone else seeing this?

1221235778_ScreenShot2020-02-05at11_36_51AM.png.4a1662e6d94b799121f21eb71f002249.png

Do you have a piHole or DNS level blocker? If so try disabling temporarily. 

Few post in the near history about this. 

2 hours ago, rmeaux said:

Do you have a piHole or DNS level blocker? If so try disabling temporarily. 

Few post in the near history about this. 

I do have PiHole, tried disabling it, still no dice. Oddly enough, the other Nvidia builds download fine as well - it's just 6.8.2 that doesn't work. Really weird. Might just wait awhile.

4 hours ago, dirtyofries said:

Currently trying to update to 6.8.2 - stuck at the download screen...isn't downloading. If I select any of the standard builds, they work.

Some issue server-side? Anyone else seeing this?

1221235778_ScreenShot2020-02-05at11_36_51AM.png.4a1662e6d94b799121f21eb71f002249.png

I have the same issue. No PiHole installed.

EDIT: This download just hangs from my laptop: https://lsio.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/unraid-nvidia/6-8-2/nvidia/bzimage

Edited by Turge
--
3 hours ago, dirtyofries said:

I do have PiHole, tried disabling it, still no dice. Oddly enough, the other Nvidia builds download fine as well - it's just 6.8.2 that doesn't work. Really weird. Might just wait awhile.

Perhaps the dns result that was retrieved from pihole was cached and that's why turning off pihole and trying again didn't work. If you wait a bit and try again, it should work.

Or if you reboot it will likely work

I have unraid 6.8.0 installed and just recently installed unraid nvidia 6.8.0.

After the update my letsencrypt no longer is working properly (I followed the instruction on spaceinvader to install nextcloud+letsencrypt).

Everythings working fine before but after I installed unraid nvidia its no longer working. I created a new virtual docker network. Previously it was proxynet, I created proxynetwork but nothing is still working.

Are they not compatible?

Also if I update unraid, do I just install unraid nvidia? Or do I update unraid first then unraid nvidia? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, karlpox said:

I have unraid 6.8.0 installed and just recently installed unraid nvidia 6.8.0.

After the update my letsencrypt no longer is working properly (I followed the instruction on spaceinvader to install nextcloud+letsencrypt).

Everythings working fine before but after I installed unraid nvidia its no longer working. I created a new virtual docker network. Previously it was proxynet, I created proxynetwork but nothing is still working.

Are they not compatible?

Also if I update unraid, do I just install unraid nvidia? Or do I update unraid first then unraid nvidia? 

Thanks

Unraid nvidia has nothing to do with letsencrypt. You probably broke it when you changed the networks around.

To update, you just need to install the custom version from within the nvidia plugin

5 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

Quick question on this -- do I need to be careful of every Unraid upgrade now? Should I only upgrade through the plugin settings tool, rather than the built-in tool now?

Yes you should only upgrade through the Nvidia unraid plugin settings tool, Otherwise you’ll revert to the non-nvidia build

6 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

Quick question on this -- do I need to be careful of every Unraid upgrade now? Should I only upgrade through the plugin settings tool, rather than the built-in tool now?

Yes you should only upgrade through the Nvidia unraid plugin settings tool, Otherwise you’ll revert to the non-nvidia build

Connection issues to digitalocean can be caused by multiple things (as already mentioned multi times in this thread)

1. Running pihole as a container?

2. Something changed on your network changed? (MTU)

3. Routing issue between you and digitalocean.

When we release new updates, 1/2 people test the files manually then the rest of us use the plugin to check it's working that way and we've not encountered any issues (this is with members different network configurations and locations)

Also I believe there is a manual download script somewhere in this thread that can be used to grab the files aswell.

• trurl locked this topic