[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

6 minutes ago, Stevefo said:

How do I properly update Nvidia Unraid? I assume I should upgrade stock Unraid 6.8.1 to 6.8.2, then upgrade Nvidia Unraid from 6.8.1 to 6.8.2

Answered many times in this thread.

This plugin IS a version of Unraid, but with the Nvidia drivers added.

Just upgrade from the plugin. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I've just installed a quadro p400 and the nvidia buil 6.8.2.

Plex is transcoding fine but it uses almost all the gpu memory with one transcode 4k->1080p

Does that seem normal to you? And it seems to use no gpu.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.44       Driver Version: 440.44       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P400         Off  | 00000000:05:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 34%   34C    P0    N/A /  N/A |   1517MiB /  1999MiB |     65%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0     13018      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder    1507MiB |

Edited by caplam
3 hours ago, caplam said:

Hello,

I've just installed a quadro p400 and the nvidia buil 6.8.2.

Plex is transcoding fine but it uses almost all the gpu memory with one transcode 4k->1080p

Does that seem normal to you? And it seems to use no gpu.

| NVIDIA-SMI 440.44       Driver Version: 440.44       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|   0  Quadro P400         Off  | 00000000:05:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 34%   34C    P0    N/A /  N/A |   1517MiB /  1999MiB |     65%      Default |

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|    0     13018      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder    1507MiB |

looks fine for me, sometimes will the transcode use some more ram sometimes less, and btw, the transocder is using the p400 (under "processes" en its using 65% of the gpu power.)

Edited by sjaak
typo
3 hours ago, caplam said:

thank you for your answer.

I've just realised when trying all options that hardware transcode doesn't work when enabling subtitles. It sucks, i mostly have subtilted videos. 

strange... my library is 99% with subtitles and everything what needs to be transcoded is done by the gtx1050ti with subtitle burn in. most of the subtitles are .srt

But i did ask my external users to change the default stream setting to 'original' instead of 2mbps... (i have an higher upload speed)

14 hours ago, sjaak said:

strange... my library is 99% with subtitles and everything what needs to be transcoded is done by the gtx1050ti with subtitle burn in. most of the subtitles are .srt

But i did ask my external users to change the default stream setting to 'original' instead of 2mbps... (i have an higher upload speed)

My subtitles are mostly in a file sitting along the media file. 

I set up tdarr to use gpu. I can transcode 4 files at a time and the gpu is around 50%. I try 5 there is some failure due to lack memory (only 2Gb in P400)

Just installed this 6.8.2 version, to complement my new P2000. However after installing this modded unraid version, powering off my system, installing the P2000, and powering the server back on, the Nvidia plugin shows "No devices were found". Checking lspci/System Devices, it shows the card is indeed installed:

IOMMU group 18:[10de:1c30] 0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106GL [Quadro P2000] (rev a1)

[10de:10f1] 0a:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

I read somewhere I need to connect something to the DisplayPort for the GPU to be recognized, but the server is just in a rack with no monitor so that's not ideal (except maybe a fake DisplayPort device). Anyone know the best course of action?

2 hours ago, d2dyno said:

Just installed this 6.8.2 version, to complement my new P2000. However after installing this modded unraid version, powering off my system, installing the P2000, and powering the server back on, the Nvidia plugin shows "No devices were found". Checking lspci/System Devices, it shows the card is indeed installed:

IOMMU group 18:[10de:1c30] 0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106GL [Quadro P2000] (rev a1)

[10de:10f1] 0a:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

I read somewhere I need to connect something to the DisplayPort for the GPU to be recognized, but the server is just in a rack with no monitor so that's not ideal (except maybe a fake DisplayPort device). Anyone know the best course of action?

There should be a command somewhere in this thread you could issue to check if the card is working. It was posted by chbmb a few pages back I think. You did download the nvidia build using the plugin? Or did you just install the plugin?

There should be a command somewhere in this thread you could issue to check if the card is working. It was posted by chbmb a few pages back I think. You did download the nvidia build using the plugin? Or did you just install the plugin?

The nvidia-smi one? That says no devices found, same message as web GUI.

Yes, installed following instructions in the OP (install plugin, use plugin to install Nvidia unraid OS).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, d2dyno said:

Post a screenshot of the nvidia plugin page

Here you are

EDIT: better quality Screenshot_20200228-042126.thumb.jpg.223817aeac936ecd5f93032eaf64df18.jpg
OK, so this is either...

1. Issue of DP not being connected
2. A race condition where the plugin parses for cards at boot before the drivers have loaded.
3. Hardware failure/incompatibility.

I'm on mobile atm but I've posted (fairly recently) about number 2, and there's an nvidia command you can run to "re-parse" the cards.
31 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

2. A race condition where the plugin parses for cards at boot before the drivers have loaded.

Are you speaking of this?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:33 AM, CHBMB said:

Try running this command and post the output.

nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_bus_id,gpu_uuid --format=csv,noheader | sed -e s/00000000://g | sed 's/\,\ /\n/g'

If so, the output is:

nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_bus_id,gpu_uuid --format=csv,noheader | sed -e s/00000000://g | sed 's/\,\ /\n/g'

No devices were found

1. Issue of DP not being connected

I bought these to see if that will resolve it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075873RJR

Edited by d2dyno

Updated my BIOS (On PRIME X399-A went from 0808 -> 1203) and the Quadro now displays. It's very possible the update simply reset settings that needed to be changed too. I kept the 'fake' DP connected just in case. Thanks for all the help!

Edited by d2dyno

Wow, we should really have a disclaimer so people remember to update BIOS'es.  If not latest, maybe one version behind.  Some people still think it's unnecessary!

FYI - I don't need the fake DP on my setup - and it can mean a session is connected when you don't want it to be either...  So maybe true for you too.

Edited by Marshalleq

Hello Gents,

I have been looking around and cant seem to find an answer/ solution? if at all its a problem...

I have the Nvidia app installed on the Unraid 6.8.2. i have a GTX970 doing the transcoding for plex and thats all... no VM's nothing else...

In Idle (meaning no transcoding.) this is what i get:

| NVIDIA-SMI 440.44       Driver Version: 440.44       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|   0  GeForce GTX 970     Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
|  0%   50C    P0    45W / 200W |     11MiB /  4042MiB |      0%      Default |

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|  No running processes found                                                 |

What worries me is Temperature is 50C?? why... and fan is 0% and its using 45w... for me thats crazy in idle...

Any one know why this is happening?

FYI if i run a Transcode this is what i get:

Sat Feb 29 15:53:45 2020
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.44       Driver Version: 440.44       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|   0  GeForce GTX 970     Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
|  0%   59C    P2    61W / 200W |    214MiB /  4042MiB |      0%      Default |

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|    0     17818      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     202MiB |

Fan speed is still 0??? strange.

Edited by Riverfrome
28 minutes ago, Riverfrome said:

[...]

What worries me is Temperature is 50C?? why... and fan is 0% and its using 45w... for me thats crazy in idle...

Any one know why this is happening?

[...]

Fan speed is still 0??? strange.

there is a bug in the Plex Transcoder where the GPU power state stays on P0 (high power).

https://forums.plex.tv/t/stuck-in-p-state-p0-after-transcode-finished-on-nvidia/387685/79

for now the command "fuser -kv /dev/nvidia*" works but only use it when its 'idling'.

many GPU brands turn the fans off below 60c, so nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind that the 970 is an older gpu, which use more power then the newer types (if have a gtx1050ti without extra power connectors, its only use the PCIe power (max 75watts)

also the 970 does not support x265, not every media file will be transcoded by the gpu...

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

ok thanks for the help... i just though 50C+ when the GPU is idle is far to high... i mean its doing nothing...

But regarding the comment on the power connectors... i would say i am an advanced user but still new to the unraid world... did i misunderstand.... should i not connect the power connectors on the GPU... is the PCI power enough? (sorry i know its a possible stupid question)

and with regards to the x265... 99% of all my content is 264 which means the 970 is fine.

if you removed the external power connectors i'm pretty sure that the 970 won't work anymore... (its designed to have bold connected)

if you want to cut down the power, you have to replace it with another 'powerfriendly' gpu...

the 1050ti here is running continue at 50c at idle, but there is a SAS card under it and those are running hot!

even the gt710 for the GUI boot is 45c+ while doing nothing, i don't worry that it is running 50c continue

Hopefully an easy question but wanted to ensure I was doing things correctly, but can I utilize a single Nvidia card (p400) for my containers like Tdarr to utilize as well as have an edited syslinux.cfg file that passes the video card through for VM use? I assume it's 'no' but I wanted to make sure. 

5 hours ago, Chad Kunsman said:

Hopefully an easy question but wanted to ensure I was doing things correctly, but can I utilize a single Nvidia card (p400) for my containers like Tdarr to utilize as well as have an edited syslinux.cfg file that passes the video card through for VM use? I assume it's 'no' but I wanted to make sure. 

You can't do containers and vm at the same time. But you can have multiple containers accessing it at the same time.

That's because vm passthrough is exclusive, but container access is not.

You can split their time, though, by alternating.

• Like 1
  • trurl locked this topic