[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Problem for me was that the unraid version that had my driver version in there isnt available in the unraid nvidia plugin.

So i couldnt download it, and i believe the versions for unraid nvidia start at 4xx i didnt saw anything with 3xx in the version.

5 hours ago, BrunoX said:

Is there a way to downgrade the driver version?

I have an older Nvidia card (GTX 460) and the latest driver (440.59) doesn't support it, however, Linux driver 390.132 from Nvidia does.

2 hours ago, Diondk said:

Problem for me was that the unraid version that had my driver version in there isnt available in the unraid nvidia plugin.

So i couldnt download it, and i believe the versions for unraid nvidia start at 4xx i didnt saw anything with 3xx in the version.

I suspect your older cards won't support NVENC or NVDEC either so even if you could get it to run on unraid, you wouldn't get transcoding via emby/plex/etc

• Like 1
18 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

I suspect your older cards won't support NVENC or NVDEC either so even if you could get it to run on unraid, you wouldn't get transcoding via emby/plex/etc

You are correct. It won't. The GTX 460 is a Fermi architecture, which predates NVENC and NVDEC so even if there were drivers, it can't be utilized for transcoding.

1 hour ago, ClunkClunk said:

You are correct. It won't. The GTX 460 is a Fermi architecture, which predates NVENC and NVDEC so even if there were drivers, it can't be utilized for transcoding.

I am trying to get a GTX 1050 used for this.  Is this also the case?  I am struggling to even get it to work for a VM.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:46 PM, BRiT said:

I think you'd have to rollback to earlier version of Nvidia unRaid that has that particular version.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Diondk said:

I thought so as well but as Diondk said, the problem is that none of the older Nvidia Unraid versions have a Nvidia driver before version 400.

21 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

Thanks, that's good to know. Although I'm more interested in getting it to work for Folding@Home which I believe doesn't utilize NVENC/NVDEC - could be wrong though.

1 minute ago, BrunoX said:

Thanks, that's good to know. Although I'm more interested in getting it to work for Folding@Home which I believe doesn't utilize NVENC/NVDEC - could be wrong though.

I have no trouble using NVENC/NVDEC using a 1050 with Folding@Home

Updated to Nvidia 6.8.3 from previous versions, but it looks like my card is not being used anymore based on the info stating it is power = 0, and my cpu is running very high on 5 streams. Based on the below output, shouldn't I be seeing some use, not just memory?  Plex pas with HW Transcoding on, Tautulli cofirmed HW Transcodes, 1050 Ti installed.  I did try and removed Bionic previously, otherwise at a loss. 

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 8.48.47 PM.png

12 hours ago, Jhp612 said:

Looks like you do have 5 streams going. The CPU useage is probably due to audio transcode. Not sure why your power and other metrics are not reporting properly...

The only other thing I can think of is I added a script awhile ago to return the care to the P0 state after it was done, as it was hanging at full power and not returning. i copied down a script that checks to see if there are any active transcodes, and if not returns it to P0. 

#!/bin/bash
TOKILL=""
CPT_TRANSCODE=-1
CPT_SERVER=-1

for ELEMENT in $(lsof /dev/nvidia0 | awk '{print $1 "@" $2}')
do
 IFS='@' read -r -a array <<< "$ELEMENT"
 if [ "${array[0]}" != "Xorg" ] && [ "${array[0]}" != "ffmpeg" ]
 then
  if [ "${array[0]}" = "Plex\x20T" ]
  then
  ((CPT_TRANSCODE++))
  fi
  if [ "${array[0]}" = "Plex\x20M" ]
  then
   ((CPT_SERVER++))
   TOKILL="${array[1]}"
  fi
 fi
done

if [ $CPT_SERVER -gt 0 ] && [ $CPT_TRANSCODE -lt 1 ] && [ "$1" != "test" ]
then
 kill -9 "$TOKILL"
fi
if [ "$1" == "test" ]
then
 echo "$TOKILL"
fi

not sure if this is having an affect also. 

22 hours ago, mgranger said:

I am trying to get a GTX 1050 used for this.  Is this also the case?  I am struggling to even get it to work for a VM.

A GTX 1050 is fairly recent, supports NVENC/NVDEC, and should work with this plugin (though I don't have one to try - spec wise it seems totally fine).

14 hours ago, dewlite said:

Updated to Nvidia 6.8.3 from previous versions, but it looks like my card is not being used anymore based on the info stating it is power = 0, and my cpu is running very high on 5 streams. Based on the below output, shouldn't I be seeing some use, not just memory?  Plex pas with HW Transcoding on, Tautulli cofirmed HW Transcodes, 1050 Ti installed.  I did try and removed Bionic previously, otherwise at a loss. 

Could you try `nvidia-smi dmon` while you're transcoding, and post a few second of output?

On 3/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, ClunkClunk said:

Could you try `nvidia-smi dmon` while you're transcoding, and post a few second of output?

only one transcode happening now, will try to grab when there are more. It almost seems like it is barley transcoding?

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 12.35.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 12.34.40 PM.png

Edited by dewlite
corrected upload
23 hours ago, dewlite said:

only one transcode happening now, will try to grab when there are more. It almost seems like it is barley transcoding?

Looks OK to me - 'dec' (the decoder) is showing a percent or two of utilization, and 'enc' (the encoder) is showing a percent or two of utilization.

A GTX 1050 4GB has enough horsepower to handle about 14 simultaneous 1080p transcodes though it's software locked to 2 transcodes, so if this was doing just one stream, and it filled Plex's buffer already, only a percent or two would be needed to maintain said buffer.

A couple more things I've noticed from my Quadro P400 (I don't have a GTX 1050 to test so I'm just guessing): Pwr:Usage doesn't necessarily populate even when the card is running; P0 is almost always on; and fan speeds may drop to 0 if the card is totally unused.

To really push your card, try setting Plex's buffer to something huge - like 3600 seconds, so it tries to encode an entire hour at a time. Then launch two transcodes and see how your card reacts.

Hi all,

Since updating to 6.8.3, my remote Plex clients are getting unsufferable buffering. Was working prior to updating.  

When i turn off hardware transcoding, the buffering goes away

Using a Quadro P400.

Any ideas?

I have multiple entries like this before the system becomes unresponsive:

Apr 1 08:06:30 MASTER kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]
Apr 1 08:06:30 MASTER kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

Removed the GPU Statistics Plugin, and the log entries reduced.

Will see if it crashes again.

• trurl locked this topic