[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

On 7/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, Solverz said:

Just out of curiosity, try and do a fresh install of unraid on a spare USB, unplug your original unraid usb and put in the spare one.

(Don't start the array or anything or assign any drives as if you assign them incorrectly you could lose data)

Then install unraid nvidia.

Now see if that boots okay and if it does you definitely know that there's something on your original unraid install that is causing an issue.

Just to rule out anything hardware related possibly?

I tried this with a new blank config and saw the same issues and I also tried ich777 - Nvidia/DVB Kernel Helper/Builder Docker with the same results. So there must be something with my hardware and the nvidia driver, I just do not know where to begin on how to troubleshoot it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I went through these posts but didn't see anything to help me figure out my issue. I apologize if I missed it.

I am running a dell r710  I just installed a p2000. I followed Spaceinvader one's video  

Here is my watch nvidia-smi

Every 2.0s: nvidia-smi                                                                                                                          Tower: Tue Jul  7 09:02:15 2020

Tue Jul  7 09:02:16 2020
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.59       Driver Version: 440.59       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P2000        Off  | 00000000:07:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 70%   43C    P0    16W /  75W |      0MiB /  5059MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |

I have attached  a diag, if there is something else

Thanks for your help

Chas

p2000.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20200707-0859.zip

1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

I went through these posts but didn't see anything to help me figure out my issue. I apologize if I missed it.

I am running a dell r710  I just installed a p2000. I followed Spaceinvader one's video  

Here is my watch nvidia-smi

Every 2.0s: nvidia-smi                                                                                                                          Tower: Tue Jul  7 09:02:15 2020

Tue Jul  7 09:02:16 2020
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.59       Driver Version: 440.59       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P2000        Off  | 00000000:07:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 70%   43C    P0    16W /  75W |      0MiB /  5059MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |

I have attached  a diag, if there is something else

Thanks for your help

Chas

p2000.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20200707-0859.zip 156.22 kB · 0 downloads

And what is the issue?

Please use the code tag when posting text, as the formatting is lost when just posting it in the post. Even better to post a screenshot.

Sorry, the issue is that when I run "watch nvidia-smi" to verify that my P2000 is doing the transcoding of my plex movies, it says "No running processes found "

rather than showing that the p2000 is doing the transcoding.

image.png.5151df06dc12ab047f8e4c93d6a07e6b.png

Am I misunderstanding this, shouldn't it show that the Nvidia card is doing the transcoding?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

Sorry, the issue is that when I run "watch nvidia-smi" to verify that my P2000 is doing the transcoding of my plex movies, it says "No running processes found "

rather than showing that the p2000 is doing the transcoding.

image.png.5151df06dc12ab047f8e4c93d6a07e6b.png

Am I misunderstanding this, shouldn't it show that the Nvidia card is doing the transcoding?

Thanks

You have not posted anything about how you have set up Plex. Post a screenshot of the template, or the docker run command. Also show us a screenshot of the transcoder settings in Plex and the stream info when playing a movie.

You do have Plex pass?

I followed Spaceinvader first using binhex plexpass, that didn't work. I stopped that docker and installed plex/linuxserver these are the settings that I have included.

I hope that this is what you needed and apologize for not being clear.

image.thumb.png.e491b841e03e3ba735f987868cd3add0.png

image.png.84c0d983202d77157d867cee4a0da4dc.pngimage.png.eff92f666db013680666133fea4d533c.png

image.thumb.png.37efdf54ddf78cbafb88693963f0c1ed.png

I am trying to pass a 1050ti to a plex docker (have tried several flavors) and something is wrong. When plex goes to transcode, it hangs. I can switch back to a non-transcoded stream and it hums along nicely. The log for my Unraid has these messages in it :<kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]> and <kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs>.

I THINK: I have set up the docker containers as instructed. I have installed nvidia-unraid as instructed and I have set up plex properly

I have a GTX 710 that was my Unraid UI GPU, and I tried removing that from the system, no help.

I am booting to headless unraid.

Whole System:

Threadripper 2950x

Designare EX X399

64GB Memory

GTX 1050ti

GTX 710

Running 6.9 b22

PS: I can use the GPU in Folding at home just fine, so I am thinking I have plex wrongly configured???

On 6/22/2020 at 1:38 AM, linuxserver.io said:

v6.9.0-beta22 being uploaded.

Hi guys,

Are you guys experiencing issues with Plex transcoding with 6.9.0-beta22?

Symtoms:

• File takes forever to load. Checking nvidia-smi shows "Plex Media Server" process using the GPU, instead of the usual "Plex Transcoder" process. The PMS process would drop in and out.
  • Every now and then, the Plex Transcoder process is launched after about 1-2 minute wait then the video is transcoded. In most cases though, I can wait an hour and the video stays on the loading screen at 00:00.
  • Checking Plex log, it seems to suggest the PMS process is used to check capabilities of the GPU but it fails and ends up in a loop of trying to check and failing.

I didn't change Plex config prior to seeing this, which happened right after updating reboot. I have tested with all combinations of config that I can think of, including changing GPU between my 1070 and P2000 and nothing fixed it, except for downgrading to 6.8.3.

Tested custom kernel with ".100" Nvidia driver and exactly the same issue. Unfortunately can't get the kernel to compile with the old Nvidia driver.

Only Plex has this problem (I use the LSIO docker for max compatibility). Jellyfin, Handbrake, F@H are all fine with the GPU.

5 hours ago, gtroyp said:

I am trying to pass a 1050ti to a plex docker (have tried several flavors) and something is wrong. When plex goes to transcode, it hangs. I can switch back to a non-transcoded stream and it hums along nicely. The log for my Unraid has these messages in it :<kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]> and <kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs>.

Whole System:

Threadripper 2950x

PS: I can use the GPU in Folding at home just fine, so I am thinking I have plex wrongly configured???

I have exactly the same problem with the P2000. Transcoding is back to normal simply by downgrading to 6.8.3 Unraid Nvidia.

My suspicion is something to do with the Nvidia driver and/or kernel incompatibility.

I have been thinking about having a backup media server solution because Plex has gone quite bloated lately. I'm now setting Plex to software transcode and Jellyfin to hardware transcode just to see how things go. Maybe will move permanently away from Plex.

13 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

I followed Spaceinvader first using binhex plexpass, that didn't work. I stopped that docker and installed plex/linuxserver these are the settings that I have included.

I hope that this is what you needed and apologize for not being clear.

image.thumb.png.e491b841e03e3ba735f987868cd3add0.png

image.png.84c0d983202d77157d867cee4a0da4dc.pngimage.png.eff92f666db013680666133fea4d533c.png

image.thumb.png.37efdf54ddf78cbafb88693963f0c1ed.png

You do have Plex pass? You didn't answer that question in your last post.

You can try to set Nvidia visible devices to all, and see if it works then.

Which version of unraid are you using?

9 hours ago, saarg said:

You do have Plex pass? You didn't answer that question in your last post.

You can try to set Nvidia visible devices to all, and see if it works then.

Which version of unraid are you using?

Yes I have plex pass.

I am running 6.8.3 nvidia version

I changed the visible devices from the UUID to all and still does not show Transcode HW

Thanks

image.thumb.png.d59fecf8216a8b0794997472674c776f.png

image.thumb.png.34fb38ffc3e181e196860f86b8c11d99.pngimage.png.512e16635dab37db60f5b17bfbb71a77.png

3 hours ago, testdasi said:

Updating driver to Nvidia 450.51 fixed the Plex transcoding problem.

Ya'll just need to be patient for Unraid Nvidia 6.9.0 beta 24 to come out. :)

Or to just compile it themselves using the other customized compiler tool.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

Yes I have plex pass.

I am running 6.8.3 nvidia version

I changed the visible devices from the UUID to all and still does not show Transcode HW

Thanks

image.thumb.png.d59fecf8216a8b0794997472674c776f.png

image.thumb.png.34fb38ffc3e181e196860f86b8c11d99.pngimage.png.512e16635dab37db60f5b17bfbb71a77.png

Just double checking that you added the following in the docker setup

--runtime=nvidia

I looked at all your screenshots and I do not see this setting in any of them.

Switch the template to advanced mode and make sure --runtime=nvidia is in the extra parameters

If you could post the docker run command that could also help

Thank you Scottc. 

That was it. I set it up the first time when I did Binhex plexpass but neglected to add that veritable in the linuxserver plex docker.

As always with me it was a case of operator malfunction.

Thanks again to all who assisted.

Chas 

2 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

Thank you Scottc. 

That was it. I set it up the first time when I did Binhex plexpass but neglected to add that veritable in the linuxserver plex docker.

As always with me it was a case of operator malfunction.

Thanks again to all who assisted.

Chas 

Excellent.  Glad you got it working

Just an FYI, I too am having one of my GPUs "falling offline" (2070 super).  

It does not affect performance (to the best of my knowledge), when I use in VM for gaming... or in Plex transcoding - just spams the log when idling.

The other GPU is an rx570 used for acceleration in a hackintosh.  

Cheers.

EDIT:  on 6.8.3

Edited by J.Nerdy

Can we get the order of the releases displayed by the plugin reversed so that the newest release shows at the top?   This is generally more efficient as most users will want one of the more recent releases.  In addition there have been a number of cases in the forum recently where users clicked on the top entry without realizing it quite an old release an thus inadvertently downgraded because they did not scroll to the bottom of the list.

Hello,

I have 3 cards in my unraid server. 2 of them are rtx 2080 supers and one p2000. I get a "Failed to initialize NVML: Unknown Error" in the plugin ive tried a bunch if verisons same thing. All 3 cards show up in the hardware list. None show up in this plugin. The 2 supers are passed through to vms.. 

Thanks. I'd like to get this working again (it used to work on my old unraid server). 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, commotion said:

Hello,

I have 3 cards in my unraid server. 2 of them are rtx 2080 supers and one p2000. I get a "Failed to initialize NVML: Unknown Error" in the plugin ive tried a bunch if verisons same thing. All 3 cards show up in the hardware list. None show up in this plugin. The 2 supers are passed through to vms.. 

Thanks. I'd like to get this working again (it used to work on my old unraid server). 

Thanks!

Most likely you have stubbed all three cards, and then the Nvidia driver is not loaded.

Edited by saarg
  • trurl locked this topic