[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Hi all.

New to unRAID and even newer to Docker. And a total absolute wet ass newb when it comes to PLex HW transcoding using the NVIDIA cards.

Just setup a new "server" last week and finally have working shares and Plex is running. Now I am trying to get the GPU to work as encoder / decoder using the instructions from the OP and also from this tutorial here: 

I managed to get as far as to see some decoding happening, but no transcoding. Here's a shot of my GPU when running video, as well as my docker settings:

https://imgur.com/a/1NzfYbJ

Things I have noticed: I renamed the Plex Transcoder file to Plex Transcoder2 as suggested and nano'd the new Plex Transcoder file. chmod was performed. However as you can see in the processes, the Plex Transcoder2 seems to be used and not the Plex Transcoder. Also, sometimes it simply doesn't touch the GPU and I see zero processes and zero usage for either edcoding or encoding. When playing some files, from time to time it will use the GPU to decode, but never to encode. My CPU gets pegged at high 80's most of the time.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

5 minutes ago, NMGMarques said:

Hi all.

New to unRAID and even newer to Docker. And a total absolute wet ass newb when it comes to PLex HW transcoding using the NVIDIA cards.

Just setup a new "server" last week and finally have working shares and Plex is running. Now I am trying to get the GPU to work as encoder / decoder using the instructions from the OP and also from this tutorial here: 

I managed to get as far as to see some decoding happening, but no transcoding. Here's a shot of my GPU when running video, as well as my docker settings:

https://imgur.com/a/1NzfYbJ

Things I have noticed: I renamed the Plex Transcoder file to Plex Transcoder2 as suggested and nano'd the new Plex Transcoder file. chmod was performed. However as you can see in the processes, the Plex Transcoder2 seems to be used and not the Plex Transcoder. Also, sometimes it simply doesn't touch the GPU and I see zero processes and zero usage for either edcoding or encoding. When playing some files, from time to time it will use the GPU to decode, but never to encode. My CPU gets pegged at high 80's most of the time.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

You do not have to do anything in that video anymore. Plex added support for encode/decode a while back. You just need to add the gpu variables to the docker and turn on hardware support in the plex settings. 

57 minutes ago, david279 said:

You do not have to do anything in that video anymore. Plex added support for encode/decode a while back. You just need to add the gpu variables to the docker and turn on hardware support in the plex settings. 

You mean I only need to copy the GPU UUID?

11 hours ago, trurl said:

Are you getting the Unraid boot menu? 

Thanks for responding. I was able to fix it with a new Unraid install using the legacy method. I reinstalled Unraid like 10x using the USB Creator. Definitely buggy on both Windows and MacOS. Between that and replacing the flash drive, my issue is resolved now and I got pretty much everything running

Hello all, 

Firstly, thank you for another great release, unRaid just keeps getting better and better. 

I have PLEX, an MSI Nvidia 760 GTX and followed Spaceinvader's youtube tutorial and everything seemed to go well. My issue however is that when I am transcoding a video, the "watch nvidia-smi" command shows the below output. I've also included screenshots of my docker settings, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks. 

20200729_190240.jpg

20200729_190307.jpg

20200729_190405.jpg

20200729_190803.jpg

20200729_190824.jpg

20200729_190844.jpg

***Edit***

To complicate matters, I've just run command "nvidia-smi dmon -s u" and received the following message;

Screenshot_20200729-215123_Brave.jpg

Edited by LoneTraveler
12 hours ago, LoneTraveler said:

Hello all, 

Firstly, thank you for another great release, unRaid just keeps getting better and better. 

I have PLEX, an MSI Nvidia 760 GTX and followed Spaceinvader's youtube tutorial and everything seemed to go well. My issue however is that when I am transcoding a video, the "watch nvidia-smi" command shows the below output. I've also included screenshots of my docker settings, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks. 

20200729_190240.jpg

20200729_190307.jpg

20200729_190405.jpg

20200729_190803.jpg

20200729_190824.jpg

20200729_190844.jpg

***Edit***

To complicate matters, I've just run command "nvidia-smi dmon -s u" and received the following message;

Screenshot_20200729-215123_Brave.jpg

Your card isn't support by the nvidia-smi tool.

As long as you see hardware transcode in the movie playing in the activity section, it works.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, saarg said:

Your card isn't support by the nvidia-smi tool.

As long as you see hardware transcode in the movie playing in the activity section, it works.

Many thanks for clarifying for me. I checked and it does say HW, so it must be working. 

Thanks again. 

20200730_134049.jpg

I have a GT 730 model.

Tried 6.83 and 6.82 versions and it does not show up on the plugin page after install and a reboot.

The nvidia driver link page shows support for the card. Card too old or am I doing something wrong?

Do I fall in to the old card category?

IOMMU group 20:[10de:0f02] 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 730] (rev a1)

[10de:0bea] 03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

IOMMU group 21:[10de:0f02] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 730] (rev a1)

[10de:0bea] 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

According to this chart of compatible cards, yes, the GT 730 is too old.  At least a GTX 1050 is required.

A GT 1030 will support decode only.

@Hoopster is right. If you had a Kepler based 730 instead of a Fermi 730, it would do some NVENC and NVDEC, but your card is a generation too old. Note the GF108 instead of GK208.

Edited by JesterEE
  • Thanks 1

I have been loving Plex transcoding with my P1000 card,  until today.    I rebooted my server and Plex docker will not start.   It halts at the nvidia card startup portion.

docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:449: container init caused "process_linux.go:432: running prestart hook 0 caused \"error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: cuda error: no cuda-capable device is detected\\n\""": unknown.

The command failed.

I have reinstalled the kernel drivers, checked the GPU UUID and rebuilt the docker from scratch.    It will not start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I am running Unraid 6.8.3, I have installed the Unraid Nvidia plugin and installed the Nvidia 6.8.3.

I have an onboard video card set in my bios as the default for Unraid. I have a second GT 710 installed which I am wanting to use for PLEX.

I do not have any other VM trying to access the video card and my syslinux.cfg is stock.

Unraid Nvidia has driver version 440.59 installed and that version shows compatibility with my GT 710.

After rebooting the Unraid Nvidia settings show the following

Nvidia Driver Version: 440.59

GPU 0 Model & BUs:  No devices were found

nvidia-smi: Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:07:00.0: Unknown Error

lspci -k shows:

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GK208 [GeForce GT 710B]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
07:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller

The only other errors I noticed in dmesg/syslog is:

Aug  9 09:26:39 UNRAID kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:07:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0x56:515)
Aug  9 09:26:39 UNRAID kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:07:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0
Aug  9 09:26:39 UNRAID kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:07:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0x56:515)
Aug  9 09:26:39 UNRAID kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:07:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

I know the video card works as it was previously the primary display card for my server. 

Also for reference I have tried booting UEFI as well as Legacy with no difference.

Attached is my diagnostics.

unraid-diagnostics-20200809-1646.zip

Edited by Mikevipe
6 hours ago, Mikevipe said:

Hello, 

I am running Unraid 6.8.3, I have installed the Unraid Nvidia plugin and installed the Nvidia 6.8.3.

I have an onboard video card set in my bios as the default for Unraid. I have a second GT 710 installed which I am wanting to use for PLEX.

I do not have any other VM trying to access the video card and my syslinux.cfg is stock.

Unraid Nvidia has driver version 440.59 installed and that version shows compatibility with my GT 710.

After rebooting the Unraid Nvidia settings show the following

Nvidia Driver Version: 440.59

GPU 0 Model & BUs:  No devices were found

nvidia-smi: Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:07:00.0: Unknown Error

lspci -k shows:

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GK208 [GeForce GT 710B]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
07:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller

The only other errors I noticed in dmesg/syslog is:

I know the video card works as it was previously the primary display card for my server. 

Also for reference I have tried booting UEFI as well as Legacy with no difference.

Attached is my diagnostics.

unraid-diagnostics-20200809-1646.zip 78.26 kB · 0 downloads

Most likely hardware incompatibility. Try updating the bios or change the slot of the card.

The card doesn't support much anyway, so I would buy a card that you can use. It only supports h264 4:2:0

Sorry if this has been answered recently, but searching hasn't given me anything too helpful.  I have been using this plugin with no problem with my GTX 1080s, however I have a second Unraid build that I'd like to use an Nvidia Tesla K80 that I picked up for some machine learning use cases.  Since this plugin did not seem to have an option/driver for Tesla GPUs from what I could see, I was wondering if there is a manual process to install the Tesla driver after installing the plugin?

I've tried passing through the GPU to a Ubuntu VM however I'm having other driver install issues there (probably user error on my part) so I was just wondering if it was feasible to do in Unraid with any manual steps.  Basically I just want to run some stuff in Docker containers, whether that be direct in Unraid's Docker or a VM with PCIe pass through.

Anyone got any experience getting a Tesla to work in either approach in Unraid?

EDIT: Just an update, the 'regular' NVidia drivers worked.  My problem was that I was using an old motherboard/CPU that did not support IOMMU for PCIE passthrough.  A new motherboard and CPU solved this.

Edited by Mike Howles
On 8/11/2020 at 10:41 AM, rojarrolla said:

Hi, how can I passthrough my Nvidia card to ShinobiPro Docker ?

It is explained in the second post on the ShinobiPro Support Thread. 

Also, (I know you didn't ask this but...) a Gpu can be assigned to a VM 'or' to Docker(s). Yes multiple dockers at once. 

And also to answer your question, you add the same parameters to the docker edit page as you would on Plex.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rmeaux said:

It is explained in the second post on the ShinobiPro Support Thread. 

Also, (I know you didn't ask this but...) a Gpu can be assigned to a VM 'or' to Docker(s). Yes multiple dockers at once. 

And also to answer your question, you add the same parameters to the docker edit page as you would on Plex.

I can only say: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I Knew Edward was after this but I had not found it yet!

Let me see If I can configure it ASAP!!

Cheers!

On 8/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, saarg said:

Most likely hardware incompatibility. Try updating the bios or change the slot of the card.

The card doesn't support much anyway, so I would buy a card that you can use. It only supports h264 4:2:0

The problem is I am limited to only (2) PCIE x1 slots. My other two slots are occupied by a raid card and 10gige card to serve the network file shares.

Do you know any other x1 cards? I was unable to find any. I could dremmel out the back of the x1 slot and put in a later card I suppose. I suppose it would be better than no card even if it is scaling down.

18 hours ago, Mikevipe said:

The problem is I am limited to only (2) PCIE x1 slots. My other two slots are occupied by a raid card and 10gige card to serve the network file shares.

Do you know any other x1 cards? I was unable to find any. I could dremmel out the back of the x1 slot and put in a later card I suppose. I suppose it would be better than no card even if it is scaling down.

Do you happen to have any spare m.2 slots ?
You can get adapters to from m.2 to PCIE x4 slot (direct mount or with riser)

Hi all,

i am running a 1050ti, but since i installed the nvidia driver, the fan is really fast/loud.. in idle when nothing happens the fan runs at around 49% ..

is there a way to control it?

best regards

s3ppo

Edited by S3ppo
20 hours ago, S3ppo said:

Hi all,

i am running a 1050ti, but since i installed the nvidia driver, the fan is really fast/loud.. in idle when nothing happens the fan runs at around 49% ..

is there a way to control it?

best regards

s3ppo

Unfortunately no, i ran into the same problem, but the drivers included in the kernel do not allow you to control the fan, it requires another tool that although is present it cannot run properly because of the lack of and x server.

Is anyone able to assist with a P2000 that seems to want to stay in a P0 power state even when no transcoding in occurring?

If I run the command

nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1

Then restart Plex container, it seems to put the card in P8, then P0 when transcoding but the transcoder crashes after about 5 seconds ending the playback? Therefore I have to put back to 

nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=0

and restart Plex container to get transcoding to work stable again. But stuck at P0 always, transcoding or not..

nvidia unRAID6.9.0 b25

image.png.ac3d59a92b1be2c77ae432241fa91baf.png

It's not a huge issue, but I note I should be able to get idle card usage down from 17W to around 8W.

Edited by SpuddyUK
  • trurl locked this topic