[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Really. I thought that my Nvidia P2000 would pick up a lot of the heavy-lifting. I did know that the audio would go through the CPU but that  Plex Media Server will attempt to use hardware-accelerated video codecs when encoding and decoding video. Dam. Well thanks for the help on this. I guess I may need to upgrade my CPU from i7 8900k to an AMD Threadripper or something like that.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:53 PM, pimogo said:

Hi thanks for this! Just a clarification. I'm using  a previous version of your script that specifically calls out to NOT transcode mpeg4.  In the new script, for a similar effect, would i remove all but mpeg4 or leave all but mpeg4. 

CODECS=("mpeg4" ) or  

CODECS=("h264" "hevc" "mpeg2video" "vc1" "vp8" "vp9")

Thanks!

Available codec options are:

h264 (default) H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10

hevc (default) H.265 / HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding)

mpeg2video MPEG-2 video

mpeg4 MPEG-4 part 2

vc1 SMPTE VC-1

vp8 (default) On2 VP8

vp9 (default) Google VP9"

[/Code]

You need not change anything for mpeg4 to be excluded. Everything with default next to it is ALLOWED to be transcoded by the GPU and *should* have good support on most Nvidia cards. Everything without default can be specified and most of them *should* work, but can have problems. (Notably, mpeg4 and VC1)

Suffice it to say that leaving the "#" before the CODECS line should be sufficient for most users.

• Like 1
Really. I thought that my Nvidia P2000 would pick up a lot of the heavy-lifting. I did know that the audio would go through the CPU but that  Plex Media Server will attempt to use hardware-accelerated video codecs when encoding and decoding video. Dam. Well thanks for the help on this. I guess I may need to upgrade my CPU from i7 8900k to an AMD Threadripper or something like that.
But it says all that at the beginning of this thread..... in the readme.

And there are ways to get it to decode talked about in the thread.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by reading.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, maxse said:

Yes, thank  you! I posted a thread in the general support didn't want to keep bothering people in this thread.

But yes, so I have 2 "X16" slots. I disconnected my LSI HBA from slot #2, plugged in the p2000 into slot #1, and nothing. Then plugged in into slot #2 and it got detected! So Im thinking okay, let me try to plug the M1015 HBA into slot #1, no dice. Actually the computer powered on and off quickly three times before ultimately powering on, but the now the HBA wasn't detected and only the p2000 was. So nothing seems to be detected in the "x16" slot 1. 

Not sure if  have a defective board or what. I was thinking that X4 was the issue and maybe one is always set to that. I think the IBM m1015 flashed to IT requires 8x so that's why it was getting detected.. But now you're saying even at 4x I should have no issues running the p2000?

So I started looking at yet another newboard, but seems like there's no matx with 2 x16 slots that are actually x16. I'm still frustrated because I don't get how it's not even false advertising...

But anyway, how does everyone else seem to use a graphics card while using an HBA at the same time? Do I need to at least find one that has a dedicated X16, and also a dedicated X8, and perhaps an X1 for an expander? I couldn't find a single matx intel 1151. Yikes

Looked at you motherboard and I don't see any clear reasons why one of the cards doesn't work. But, as you said, the card in slot 4 is going to be 4x and if you also have a card in slot 2, it will be 2x. That might make an issue.

you could also try to change the pcie gen in the bios for the slot.

Okay will try changing the gen to 2?

im still learning all this now. I put the x1 card on a different slot which should limit the second x16 to x2 just x4. 

But it seems that x4 could bottle neck the p2000 even if I could get it to work somehow? I’m shocked more people aren’t having this issue. 

I’m okay with just getting another board at this point. But I don’t even know which one to get! What can I use to be able to use the HBA and the p2000 without bottle necks??

Has anyone else been getting their card disappearing and reappearing?  It works perfectly for a while but then just starts connecting and disconnecting.  Only way to fix it is a server reboot.  If I use watch nvidia-smi it will show up then disappear over and over.

i am using rc8 and a p2000.  Doesn’t seem reproducible.  Seems like it happens randomly.  But I only had this patch for two days and it’s happened twice already.

I wish i had the time to read everything everyone posts. But i have only be at this for a little while and still learning everything there is to unraid and trying to read everything everyone posts. So please excuse me, if I make some mistakes along the way of learning how unraid and plex are encoding and decoding things.

8 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

I wish i had the time to read everything everyone posts. But i have only be at this for a little while and still learning everything there is to unraid and trying to read everything everyone posts. So please excuse me, if I make some mistakes along the way of learning how unraid and plex are encoding and decoding things.

Did you enable Plex decoding?  There is a script to do that.  It’s easy to setup.

You could also use quicksync.  Your 8700k is more than capable.  How many streams do you have going??

I have about four to five at different times, from different people on different devices, with different resolutions. So it seems that they have different needs and I noticed that my 8700k was just getting hammered at 99% to 100% on different cores with a total at 80% to 90%. It just surprised me because I thought this processor, like you said would be capable to handle this, but seems like its to much. While looking around I heard that the P2000 seemed to do a good job as well.

Edited by acozad1
2 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

I have about four to five at different times, from different people on different devices, with different resolutions. So it seems that they have different needs and I noticed that my 8700k was just getting hammered at 99% to 100% on different cores with a total at 80% to 90%. It just surprised me because I thought this processor, like you said would be capable to handle this, but seems like its to much. While looking around I heard that the P2000 seemed to do a good job as well.

Or switch to Emby which can decode/encode out the box.

9 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

He was referring to using the built in graphics in your cpu, not using the cpu to transcode.

15 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

Are you transcoding 4K?  Also, why don’t you enable the decode patch?  It’s swiped easy!  And quicksync is the integrated graphics chip that can handle a lot.  Probably more than the p2000.  Although I haven’t tested that yet.

From what I heard/read, Plex is waiting for things to get better (more stable?) with their transcoder before they officially support Linux decoding. Maybe it's because I'm still using a Kepler based GTX 770 but when I tried moding my Plex Docker to decode in the GPU or ran like garbage.
Remember Plex is a company and has lots of customers to make angry if things don't work right. Looking at their sub reddit and I can say that they complain regularly that betas break things or don't fix things they (feel) is important.

Emby being a more community driven. A few monts or so ago I got an update for it and it outright broke Hardware Transcoding, a few messages later on their forums and it was patched and fixed, that same exchange would have been weeks or even months with Plex

Emby isn't perfect tho, I still think their Android App is garbage and it doesn't try to transcode if your video happens to be the same bitrate or lower as your upload eventhough you don't have that bandwidth available at that time. Plex checks often I'd the bandwidth has got better or not and adjust accordingly.
Quality though, with my little 2Mbps upload, Emby just does a better job of getting decent quality out of the house.

Sorry, this turned in to a mini rant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

From what I heard/read, Plex is waiting for things to get better (more stable?) with their transcoder before they officially support Linux decoding. Maybe it's because I'm still using a Kepler based GTX 770 but when I tried moding my Plex Docker to decode in the GPU or ran like garbage.
Remember Plex is a company and has lots of customers to make angry if things don't work right. Looking at their sub reddit and I can say that they complain regularly that betas break things or don't fix things they (feel) is important.

Emby being a more community driven. A few monts or so ago I got an update for it and it outright broke Hardware Transcoding, a few messages later on their forums and it was patched and fixed, that same exchange would have been weeks or even months with Plex

Emby isn't perfect tho, I still think their Android App is garbage and it doesn't try to transcode if your video happens to be the same bitrate or lower as your upload eventhough you don't have that bandwidth available at that time. Plex checks often I'd the bandwidth has got better or not and adjust accordingly.
Quality though, with my little 2Mbps upload, Emby just does a better job of getting decent quality out of the house.

Sorry, this turned in to a mini rant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with most of your statements.  Emby is more efficient.  Your gpu is def the issue with quality though.  You get a significant quality boost on the 900 series, then a significant bump again in 10 series. Then an even bigger jump on the 20(16) series.  Switch gpus would help you a lot.

Yes, I do have 4k movies that are than transcode to other guests who have 1080p tv. I personally have all 4k tv so that there is direct play available to me personally. But a lot of my guest users are only on 1080. So there is a lot of transcoding going on.

I have never tried Emby. But I am really considering it with what you have described about it being better for transcoding. Its just I have went all down on Plex, buying the Pass and everything.

Edited by acozad1
Just now, acozad1 said:

Yes, I do have 4k movies that are than transcode to other guests who have 1080p tv. I personally have all 4k tv so that there is direct play available to me personally. But a lot of my guest users are only on 1080. So there is a lot of transcoding going on.

I have never tried Emby. But I am really considering it with what you have described about it being better for transcoding.

Ok, well first thing.  You know you lose a ton of color when you transcode 4K right?  Like the image will look washed out.

The first thing you should try is to enable decoding.  If that doesn’t help, look at quicksync which is built into your cpu.

7 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

Ok, well first thing.  You know you lose a ton of color when you transcode 4K right?  Like the image will look washed out.

The first thing you should try is to enable decoding.  If that doesn’t help, look at quicksync which is built into your cpu.

It's not 4k that causes issues with color, it's HDR. Lots of 1080p HDR content and 4k non-HDR content exists. If I'm not mistaken, Emby has HDR profiles, though I'm not sure how well they work. I may, once I have finished moving, investigate hacking some color profile stuff into the decode wrapper to attempt correcting the washed out colors (it's just adding some additional parameters to ffmpeg, kinda like we do with nvdec)

5 hours ago, Xaero said:

It's not 4k that causes issues with color, it's HDR. Lots of 1080p HDR content and 4k non-HDR content exists. If I'm not mistaken, Emby has HDR profiles, though I'm not sure how well they work. I may, once I have finished moving, investigate hacking some color profile stuff into the decode wrapper to attempt correcting the washed out colors (it's just adding some additional parameters to ffmpeg, kinda like we do with nvdec)

Yea I know, it was easier to say 4K though given the audience.

i haven’t seen those profiles on emby?  Is that an extra feature?  I’m running their beta and it’s still washed out.  As far as I know, tone mapping is super complicated, I would be shocked if you could add something like that to a script.  But hey, I will certainly test it!

11 hours ago, Xaero said:

I don't think ffmpeg have what it takes to do a good hdr to sdr conversion. As far as I know, it's only madvr and a bit of tweaking that is good enough.

Ffmpeg might do an OK job, though.

• trurl locked this topic