Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

1856 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

I think what people are saying is, if you can do it, so can unraid.

And the response is, since people are already not happy with the perceived slowness of fixes and new features in the core product, adding a whole new layer of problems and complexities for limetech to deal with will slow releases down even more, causing even more complaining about things not being kept up to date. If limetech was responsible for the nvidia build as well as the core product, you would see less timely progress, not more.

 

Limetech is absorbing more and more of the community pioneered features as time goes on, at some point they may very well decide to start doing nvidia drivers if they feel it's a good use of their limited resources. That time is not soon™.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

LOL That's not a response, that's an opinion.  IT moves forward and the customers are almost always the indicators about where to go.  The fact this plugin exists is from community demand and the gracious time of a certain developer that saw that demand and likely was part of the demand.  There is of course such a thing as a poorly performing IT department or company that doesn't listen to it's customers and yes there are always priorities.

 

It seems that you are either saying that officially Limetech doesn't want to listen to customer demand any more or that you've decided that yourself.  Please forgive me for the sake of making the point, it seems more like the latter.

 

It's natural for humans to like to move forward, we should not be treading on people with good intent, rather saying, 'Yes we'd all like to do that, but we've tried and we're not ready for another try yet, perhaps go vote in requested features section' or something.  Or perhaps you just don't want to talk about it, but it's a forum and other people will.  This is supposed to be a great community of positive individuals.  It says so on the main unraid page. 

 

And since you mention it above, people have commented many times they are NOT unhappy.  That would be your own opinion coming through again.

 

I really don't know why some people on here are so quick to judge.

Share this post


Link to post

As time goes on, there will be less need for video card specific features, not more in a NAS server platform. Upgrade your clients and you wont have a need for transcoding which removes the need for this Nvidia build.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I think there’s some truth in that. CPUs will get more powerful too. Though going against that is 4K and 8k needing more which makes me think there will always be more formats to contend with and always transcoding requirements. So yes and no?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Well over a long enough timeline, the need for transcoding has gone down. When media streaming was first making the rounds, every server had to transcode for the clients, like back when Xbox Media Center was actually run on original Xbox hardware with hacked setups. During that time, any media over 480p generally had to be transcoded. You used to need transcoding for anything in MKV containers, then codec of x264, then x265. Then as time went on, clients became more capable and now you really don't see a need for video transcoding of 1080p even with x265.

 

Of course new media formats and resolution always push against this, but then after it becomes more mainstream, the clients will adapt. As you said, right now the bleeding edge push is 4K and 8K media with HEVC. The encoder for HEVC is insanely slow, so I don't see it proliferating until the encoding times are addressed.

Share this post


Link to post

did something happen with this plugin, i went to update it in settings and im getting errors where the drop downs would me  i listed it below. i only scanned the last few pages of the post and didnt see anything mentions so sorry if this has been asked before 

 

 

 

 

Warning: file_get_contents(https://lsio.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/?prefix=unraid-nvidia/): failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 45

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 47

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 51

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 51

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 70

Warning: array_multisort(): Argument #3 is expected to be an array or a sort flag in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 73

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 91

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 103

Share this post


Link to post
Well over a long enough timeline, the need for transcoding has gone down. When media streaming was first making the rounds, every server had to transcode for the clients, like back when Xbox Media Center was actually run on original Xbox hardware with hacked setups. During that time, any media over 480p generally had to be transcoded. You used to need transcoding for anything in MKV containers, then codec of x264, then x265. Then as time went on, clients became more capable and now you really don't see a need for video transcoding of 1080p even with x265.
 
Of course new media formats and resolution always push against this, but then after it becomes more mainstream, the clients will adapt. As you said, right now the bleeding edge push is 4K and 8K media with HEVC. The encoder for HEVC is insanely slow, so I don't see it proliferating until the encoding times are addressed.


Yes. I do still have the examples where someone needs 1080-1080 due to running on a tv, or 1080-as happens a lot due to Plex default remote settings which is annoying. You’d think it was unnecessary by now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, rooster237 said:

did something happen with this plugin, i went to update it in settings and im getting errors where the drop downs would me  i listed it below. i only scanned the last few pages of the post and didnt see anything mentions so sorry if this has been asked before 

 

 

 

 


Warning: file_get_contents(https://lsio.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/?prefix=unraid-nvidia/): failed to open stream: Connection timed out in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 45

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 47

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 51

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 51

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 70

Warning: array_multisort(): Argument #3 is expected to be an array or a sort flag in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 73

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 91

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 103

Looks like a connection issue to digitalocean spaces, where all the files are hosted

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/27/2020 at 5:09 PM, BRiT said:

As time goes on, there will be less need for video card specific features, not more in a NAS server platform. Upgrade your clients and you wont have a need for transcoding which removes the need for this Nvidia build.

Until there's ubiquitous, unmetered, gigabit internet just about everywhere, there's going to be a need for transcoding.    Transcoding to lower bit rates for streaming, and syncing, while on the road is one of my main uses of Unraid Nvidia.  I don't see that going away any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Really quick question, I am planning to upgrade from a Quadro P400 to a GTX 1660 to get additional transcoding headroom (I can't successfully transcode 2 4K streams at once due to the P400 only having 2GB of vRAM).    Right now the P400 is completely dedicated to the Docker container.   The problem is that a 1660 is a dual slot card and in order to make room I will have to pull the P400 and the GT 710 that I use for GPU out.   Based on the comment at the beginning of this thread, I assume that as long as I am not using the UnRaid GUI and simply showing the command line that I could use the 1660 for both Unraid command line interface and the for the Plex Docker?

 

TL;DR:  If only using GPU for Unraid Command Line, can it be passed into the Plex docker for transcoding purposes?

 

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but at almost 70 pages it's hard to find the answers....

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, paulrbeers said:

Really quick question, I am planning to upgrade from a Quadro P400 to a GTX 1660 to get additional transcoding headroom (I can't successfully transcode 2 4K streams at once due to the P400 only having 2GB of vRAM).    Right now the P400 is completely dedicated to the Docker container.   The problem is that a 1660 is a dual slot card and in order to make room I will have to pull the P400 and the GT 710 that I use for GPU out.   Based on the comment at the beginning of this thread, I assume that as long as I am not using the UnRaid GUI and simply showing the command line that I could use the 1660 for both Unraid command line interface and the for the Plex Docker?

 

TL;DR:  If only using GPU for Unraid Command Line, can it be passed into the Plex docker for transcoding purposes?

 

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but at almost 70 pages it's hard to find the answers....

Not going to help you. Only Quadro cards allow you to transcode more than 2 streams at a given time . 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jhp612 said:

Not going to help you. Only Quadro cards allow you to transcode more than 2 streams at a given time . 

Umm I'm literally trying to only due 2 streams.   4K to 1080P requires 1300MB of vRAM.  Having only 2GB means the second stream just spins.   https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

 

So yeah not trying to bypass the 2 streams, I'm literally solving a problem with only 2 streams.   I have 4K full mkv rips.  

 

Edit:  I was just going to purchase a 1050ti since it has 4GB, but newegg had 1660's over the weekend for only $113, so it was a no-brainer.....

Edited by paulrbeers

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, paulrbeers said:

Umm I'm literally trying to only due 2 streams.   4K to 1080P requires 1300MB of vRAM.  Having only 2GB means the second stream just spins.   https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

 

So yeah not trying to bypass the 2 streams, I'm literally solving a problem with only 2 streams.   I have 4K full mkv rips.  

 

Edit:  I was just going to purchase a 1050ti since it has 4GB, but newegg had 1660's over the weekend for only $113, so it was a no-brainer.....

I would suggest a P2000 given your earlier dual/single slot concerns. It's not much more new than the 1660ti, and it's cheaper than the 1660ti used on fleabay. It's single slot, lower power consumption, and similar vram with no stream limits.

Share this post


Link to post

Getting this on my unraid nvidia settings page

 

Warning: parse_ini_file(/tmp/mediabuild/description): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/Unraid-Nvidia/include/exec.php on line 60

 

anything i need to fix?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, aptalca said:

Looks like a connection issue to digitalocean spaces, where all the files are hosted

getting same error here

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, evocraigst said:

getting same error here

Not much we can do if you're having issues connecting to digitalocean.

Could be an issue on your network, if you run pihole, disable that, check MTU etc. couple of reasons that can cause this issue.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey guys I just purchased a P400 and I am having problems getting it to run in my unRAID system.  I have tried both 8.1 and 8.0 versions and no luck at all.  I am sure that I am just missing something simple so I am coming to you guys for some help.  This is the msg that I keep getting:

 

image.thumb.png.ddbd5cf4af0b1e1928284e5107f8e39a.png

 

Motherboard: X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD Supermicro Dual LGA-2011 E-ATX Server Motherboard

Graphics Card: PNY Quadro P400 3x Mini DP PCI-E 3.0 x16 2GB GDDR5 Graphics GPU Card

Adapter Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJE2UJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Any help at all would be very appreciated.  I have been very excited about getting this thing running and to hit a road block like this is very disappointing.  Thanks again guys!!!!

Share this post


Link to post

I just set this up following spaceinvader's video. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I set it up for plex. But the nvidia-smi does not show any active processes. I have tested this with several transcodes running, an no processes ever appear. I am on unraid 6.8. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jonsmiff said:

Hey guys I just purchased a P400 and I am having problems getting it to run in my unRAID system.  I have tried both 8.1 and 8.0 versions and no luck at all.  I am sure that I am just missing something simple so I am coming to you guys for some help.  This is the msg that I keep getting:

 

image.thumb.png.ddbd5cf4af0b1e1928284e5107f8e39a.png

 

Motherboard: X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD Supermicro Dual LGA-2011 E-ATX Server Motherboard

Graphics Card: PNY Quadro P400 3x Mini DP PCI-E 3.0 x16 2GB GDDR5 Graphics GPU Card

Adapter Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJE2UJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Any help at all would be very appreciated.  I have been very excited about getting this thing running and to hit a road block like this is very disappointing.  Thanks again guys!!!!

I got that same message prior to installing the card. I downloaded the plugin before physically installing the card. So, I would make sure the card is seated correctly. My guess is that it isn't reading it. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

I got that same message prior to installing the card. I downloaded the plugin before physically installing the card. So, I would make sure the card is seated correctly. My guess is that it isn't reading it. 

Thanks, yeah that doesnt seem to be the problem.  I am going to mess with it a bit and see if i can get it to do anything.

Share this post


Link to post

Just realized spaceinvader is doing this on linuxserver version of plex. Mine is binhex. Does it have to be linuxserver docker to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jebusfreek666 said:

Just realized spaceinvader is doing this on linuxserver version of plex. Mine is binhex. Does it have to be linuxserver docker to work?

My problem is I cannot get to the part where Plex uses the card bc the drivers are working at all for my card.  But I am for sure following his video.  =D

Share this post


Link to post

Update:

 

I added the linuxserver docker for plex to test, and sure enough it does the transcoding on the GPU with nvidia-smi showing correctly. I guess this means I have to migrate everything over to linuxserver docker.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

Update:

 

I added the linuxserver docker for plex to test, and sure enough it does the transcoding on the GPU with nvidia-smi showing correctly. I guess this means I have to migrate everything over to linuxserver docker.

Mine works just fine on binhex

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jhp612 said:

Mine works just fine on binhex

Are you able to view active processes in nvidia-smi?

 

Would you mind sharing your template? Maybe I messed it up somewhere. I kind of doubt that is the issue though, as I just copy paste my settings to the linuxserver docker and it is working. What version of unraid are you running? And what GPU?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.